Motherboard help plz

my current mobo is an asrock h87 pro 4, but i kinda want an upgrade as i am hopefully getting a msi gtx1050 ti. any ideas what i should look for and avoid?? 

You want to upgrade to skylake? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, TheWildLamb said:

my current mobo is an asrock h87 pro 4, but i kinda want an upgrade as i am hopefully getting a msi gtx1050 ti. any ideas what i should look for and avoid?? 

You don't need to upgrade though, it will not affect performance...

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

3 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

You don't need to upgrade though, it will not affect performance...

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

You want to upgrade to skylake? 

the sockets at the back like the ethernet thing and usb are broken so any slight movement will disconnect which is very annoying

2 minutes ago, TheWildLamb said:

the sockets at the back like the ethernet thing and usb are broken so any slight movement will disconnect which is very annoying

I would ask then, before dropping cash on a new motherboard, how soon do you plan to upgrade your CPU? If it isn't that far away, I would advise against investing cash into a platform you're going to leave soon.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

What are the rest of your build's specs? I assume you have a locked cpu?

You can get the Asrock Z97 Pro 4. It's pretty much the same board you already have but at least all the ports will work.

MSI Z97 PC Mate is also a decent board if you wanted to go for an unlocked cpu in the future.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

6 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

I would ask then, before dropping cash on a new motherboard, how soon do you plan to upgrade your CPU? If it isn't that far away, I would advise against investing cash into a platform you're going to leave soon.

my current cpu is an i5 4570, so im not to sure 

5 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

What are the rest of your build's specs? I assume you have a locked cpu?

You can get the Asrock Z97 Pro 4. It's pretty much the same board you already have but at least all the ports will work.

MSI Z97 PC Mate is also a decent board if you wanted to go for an unlocked cpu in the future.

At the moment i have a i5 4570, a 450 watt psu a gtx 760 and 8gb of ram

2 minutes ago, TheWildLamb said:

At the moment i have a i5 4570, a 450 watt psu a gtx 760 and 8gb of ram

If you want an excellent board look at this deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130770&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It's a Z97 board so it's overkill for you CPU since you cannot overclock, but it supports SLI, has better built-in audio and has an m.2 slot.

For 89.99 after MIR it's a great deal.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Honestly I'd advise either upgrading your platform (CPU, Mobo, ram) now, or just getting a cheap motherboard to get by until you upgrade, because if you plan to keep this only for a little there's no point in investing in a lot of cash, and if you plan on upgrading way down the line, it'll be worth it to buy a new CPU then, so you'll have to replace the board anyway.

Go for used mobo if you have issues with current. I think you shouldn't pick new mobo for just for few broken things. Another way would be getting addon cards to fix broken parts. Like LAN card for ethernet and USB3 card for USB.

As for what to look for. LGA 1150 socket obviously. H87/97 chipset (H97 preferred). Besides that check how many SATA ports you need and do you need PCI slot (not PCIe, there will be enough those). Other than those, its what you like.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you are handy with a solder iron, you could basicly reflow the solders from the ports on the back of the board.

And see if that helps.

Unfortunatly issues like that is often what you get wenn going with cheap motherboards.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2016 at 5:59 AM, tarfeef101 said:

Honestly I'd advise either upgrading your platform (CPU, Mobo, ram) now, or just getting a cheap motherboard to get by until you upgrade, because if you plan to keep this only for a little there's no point in investing in a lot of cash, and if you plan on upgrading way down the line, it'll be worth it to buy a new CPU then, so you'll have to replace the board anyway.

i dont suppose you got any advice on getting a new cpu ?

1 minute ago, TheWildLamb said:

i dont suppose you got any advice on getting a new cpu ?

Well, how much money do you have, and what do you plan on doing with your computer (games, editing, simulations, etc)?

3 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

Well, how much money do you have, and what do you plan on doing with your computer (games, editing, simulations, etc)?

i dont have to much money at the moment but i just want to know what to look for, and i mainly use it for games

On 12/26/2016 at 5:50 PM, TheWildLamb said:

i dont have to much money at the moment but i just want to know what to look for, and i mainly use it for games

Well for gaming you generally want to look for a CPU with at least 4 cores, any more than 4 cores is optional, and hyperthreading or SMT are also optional. Anything from Intel since Haswell is worth a look, AMD Zen should be useful as well, but that's not out yet so no guarantees.

The motherboard is a bit simpler. If you have a CPU that can overclock, get a motherboard that can support overclocking. If you plan to upgrade your CPU relatively soon after buying your first CPU to one that can overclock, still get the premium chipset, since you'll need it later anyways. Power delivery is always a topic of discussion for overclocking, but IN GENERAL it doesn't make a huge difference. Just look for the features you would use (SATA ports, integrated LAN, wifi, decent audio, PCIe slots, M.2 support, NVMe support, USB ports, etc). Aesthetics are a big part too, get one that has the look you want, or be ready to paint things.

This video series is great for people to see what motherboards have to offer, and should also give you an idea for how the UEFI for each company looks, as this is important to the experience (and is the reason why I get Asus boards for my personal builds): 

Last, RAM is RAM. Speed doesn't really matter, so get the cheapest kit you can that is the right amount of DIMMs and capacity that looks good. I'd recommend using fewer DIMMs if possible (at least 2 though to use dual-channel, or 4 if you go for the Intel HEDT platform), so you can add more down the road.

14 minutes ago, tarfeef101 said:

Well for gaming you generally want to look for a CPU with at least 4 cores, any more than 4 cores is optional, and hyperthreading or SMT are also optional. Anything from Intel since Haswell is worth a look, AMD Zen should be useful as well, but that's not out yet so no guarantees.

The motherboard is a bit simpler. If you have a CPU that can overclock, get a motherboard that can support overclocking. If you plan to upgrade your CPU relatively soon after buying your first CPU to one that can overclock, still get the premium chipset, since you'll need it later anyways. Power delivery is always a topic of discussion for overclocking, but IN GENERAL it doesn't make a huge difference. Just look for the features you would use (SATA ports, integrated LAN, wifi, decent audio, PCIe slots, M.2 support, NVMe support, USB ports, etc). Aesthetics are a big part too, get one that has the look you want, or be ready to paint things.

This video series is great for people to see what motherboards have to offer, and should also give you an idea for how the UEFI for each company looks, as this is important to the experience (and is the reason why I get Asus boards for my personal builds): 

Last, RAM is RAM. Speed doesn't really matter, so get the cheapest kit you can that is the right amount of DIMMs and capacity that looks good. I'd recommend using fewer DIMMs if possible (at least 2 though to use dual-channel, or 4 if you go for the Intel HEDT platform), so you can add more down the road.

Wel thankyou very much for the help sorry if i have been a pest, but im kinda new to this stuff, but thank you and have a great new year.

oh and one more thing how exactly do you overclock correctly?

1 hour ago, TheWildLamb said:

From BIOS. Increase multiplier one-by-one with 15min stress tests after every increase. Once it BSODs, start increasing voltage until you hit max safe temps of 80-90C. Again, stress it after every change you made. Continue until it is at or under your desired temps and doesn't BSOD during 15mins. Now run full stress for 2-3h, or do few auick tests with games and other stress testers. If temps stay fine and doesn't BSOD, you are good.

GPU is pretty much same. You increase core and memory clocks and run stress tests to look for artifacts.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Spoiler
5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

From BIOS. Increase multiplier one-by-one with 15min stress tests after every increase. Once it BSODs, start increasing voltage until you hit max safe temps of 80-90C. Again, stress it after every change you made. Continue until it is at or under your desired temps and doesn't BSOD during 15mins. Now run full stress for 2-3h, or do few auick tests with games and other stress testers. If temps stay fine and doesn't BSOD, you are good.

GPU is pretty much same. You increase core and memory clocks and run stress tests to look for artifacts.

Spoiler
7 hours ago, TheWildLamb said:

Wel thankyou very much for the help sorry if i have been a pest, but im kinda new to this stuff, but thank you and have a great new year.

pretty much what he said. if that's not clear enough, pretty much every tech youtuber has made a guide. Glad to help, you were not pushy, and asked nicely so I'm glad to put some time in to help you :)

Have a great new year yourself

On 12/28/2016 at 11:16 PM, tarfeef101 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

pretty much what he said. if that's not clear enough, pretty much every tech youtuber has made a guide. Glad to help, you were not pushy, and asked nicely so I'm glad to put some time in to help you :)

Have a great new year yourself

your gonna hate me now, if i am going to overclock my cpu which cooler should i get? thank you again for your help