Start Menu - How To Remove/Hide Icons After The Update?

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
43 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

So, if I want to, how do I join the Insider Preview? (if it's simple you don't need to explain and I'll just Google it)

And is it worth it? Are there any downsides?

Also thanks a lot for helping. :)

Joining the Insider Preview program is easy.

1. You need a Microsoft account, and your main account needs to be a Microsoft joined account, if it isn't already.
  2. Then go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and click on Get Started.

That is all! The system will prepare your system (reboot might be required), and you'll be joined into the Slow ring by default. Return back to that panel to switch to the Fast Ring if you prefer (or to switch back), or leave the Insider Preview program for several days (up to 7 days).

This is how the Ring system works:

Ring2.png

Choices you have are: Slow Ring and Fast Ring. Only Microsoft employees have access to the Microsoft ring, and Operating System Group Ring is only accessible to employees working on the Windows OS itself, this includes those working on Apps part of Windows OS, and Canary Ring is the employees working on Windows OS itself.

Fast ring has on average 1 build per week.

Slow ring has on average 1 build per month.

Downsides:

• If you want to really leave the Insider Preview program, you will need to re-install Windows 10. I think you can do an "upgrade" process (even though it is a downgrade) with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to keep your stuff, but I never done it to really know... so a clean install might be required.
  • Expect bugs. Like the most visible bug right now, is that Universal Apps that are maximized and closed maximized, will re-appear by-themselves, not fully loading, when your system is idle.
  • Backup your data a lot. As these are BETA OS builds, things CAN go wrong. Some new build might not like your system, and corrupt your data. While I have never heard of such issue since Windows 10 was released officially, you (nor Microsoft) ever knows. Microsoft does internals tests to avoid this (hence the 3 rings layers before reaching the Fast Ring), and sometimes builds aren't released because of a critical issue, but it did leak out with Windows 7 beta and Windows 10 beta, (but in both cases it was before the OS was released to the public). That said, you have to be diligent
  • You must be prepared to re-install your system at any time.
  • This is more of a recommendation from MS and myself: Best if you are a computer enthusiast and you know your way around Windows

What to expect:

• Play with the latest features as they come out, including in their incomplete state but functional (over time they gets more and more complete, of course)
  • Play with the latest versions of the built-in apps of Windows, before it reaches the public.
  • Provide feedback (suggestions and problems) you are facing with the feedback hub.
  • Windows poking you with feedback questions here and there. (you don't have to say anything, but it helps shapes the OS)

If you do join the Insider Preview, get forum notification on new builds, want to talk about it, share an issue you face, or ask if others faces an issue, we have a forum section for that, or just talk about it, join in here:

:)

In the last big update for Windows 10, they changed quite some things in the UI. I like most of the things, but not the Start Menu. They moved the "User" and the "Power", "Settings" and "Windows Explorer" menus to the left side with no text, but instead only icons. I like that you can now customize these icons and it's functional if you have a lot (I turned on almost all). So that's alright, but it now shows all the Start Menu entries right in the front, as soon as you open it (I'm not talking about the tiles). Just look at the picture.

Spoiler

scr26.11.2016 1715.png

So, is there a way to hide them? I hate them, they're ugly and I can't remove them. I tried deleting them from the Start Menu folder, but then they also disappear in the "Tiles" section. Any ideas/suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

In the last big update for Windows 10, they changed quite some things in the UI. I like most of the things, but not the Start Menu. They moved the "User" and the "Power", "Settings" and "Windows Explorer" menus to the left side with no text, but instead only icons. I like that you can now customize these icons and it's functional if you have a lot (I turned on almost all). So that's alright, but it now shows all the Start Menu entries right in the front, as soon as you open it (I'm not talking about the tiles). Just look at the picture.

Reveal hidden contents

scr26.11.2016 1715.png

So, is there a way to hide them? I hate them, they're ugly and I can't remove them. I tried deleting them from the Start Menu folder, but then they also disappear in the "Tiles" section. Any ideas/suggestions?

Can probably rollback an update somewhere. or set your computer to metered connection and only update after you read about the current update.

2 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

Can probably rollback an update somewhere. or set your computer to metered connection and only update after you read about the current update.

How is that helpful in the context of this thread?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ZeusXI said:

I know I can, I was putting back the update until today and I can uninstall the update in the "Control Panel", but that's not what I want. I already have too many issues with Windows 10, so I want to use the latest version of it. Maybe some things get fixed.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

um....if you dont want updates, set your laptop to metered connect so it doesnt download in the background, and rollback your update so you go to an older update that you liked. 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Not really relevant.

Just now, ZeusXI said:

um....if you dont want updates, set your laptop to metered connect so it doesnt download in the background, and rollback your update so you go to an older update that you liked. 

I don't have a laptop and you're completely off-topic here. 

Just now, Giganizer300PRO said:

Not really relevant.

I don't have a laptop and you're completely off-topic here. 

works the same way as a desktop. didnt say i was using my laptop. its relevant because you dont like the update. set desktop as metered, dont update an update YOU dont like. 

Rollback, allows you to go back to a previous version of windows so you dont have to deal with this newer update. to thats relevant to you since you dont like the new update that caused your start menu to do that

and lastly, you should right click your taskbar and then settings, on the bottom of the window that opens up, should be a tab called start bar. that should be your fix if you customize it

Just now, ZeusXI said:

works the same way as a desktop. didnt say i was using my laptop. its relevant because you dont like the update. set desktop as metered, dont update an update YOU dont like. 

Rollback, allows you to go back to a previous version of windows so you dont have to deal with this newer update. to thats relevant to you since you dont like the new update that caused your start menu to do that

and lastly, you should right click your taskbar and then settings, on the bottom of the window that opens up, should be a tab called start bar. that should be your fix if you customize it

I want the update, because it fixes bugs and issues, but I don't like the new Start Menu, so I want to change it. I don't want to rollback and not update, because then I will still have the old, "unfixed" version. And also if you right-click the Start Menu icon, you can't get to the Start Menu settings directly. But I have been there and you can't customize what I want! 

So please stop shitposting this thread.

8 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

I want the update, because it fixes bugs and issues, but I don't like the new Start Menu, so I want to change it. I don't want to rollback and not update, because then I will still have the old, "unfixed" version. And also if you right-click the Start Menu icon, you can't get to the Start Menu settings directly. But I have been there and you can't customize what I want! 

So please stop shitposting this thread.

never said right click the start menu icon. i said TASKBAR. stop being so mean to someone trying to help. you didnt give a lot of info in the first place. all you said is you wanted to fix it. you didnt say you had a desktop, or didnt want to rollback because your having bugs or what not. im trying to help, and your just making new rules for this "game" your pulling. and if you want me to stop replying, then stop replying to my stuff so i dont get a notification

4 minutes ago, ZeusXI said:

never said right click the start menu icon. i said TASKBAR. stop being so mean to someone trying to help. you didnt give a lot of info in the first place. all you said is you wanted to fix it. you didnt say you had a desktop, or didnt want to rollback because your having bugs or what not. im trying to help, and your just making new rules for this "game" your pulling. and if you want me to stop replying, then stop replying to my stuff so i dont get a notification

My bad the taskbar. I didn't give much info in the OP, yes, but it doesn't really matter if I have a desktop or laptop (in this case) and I replied to you 2 times telling you I don't want to rollback. I appreciate you're trying to help, but you're missing the point.

2 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

My bad the taskbar. I didn't give much info in the OP, yes, but it doesn't really matter if I have a desktop or laptop (in this case) and I replied to you 2 times telling you I don't want to rollback. I appreciate you're trying to help, but you're missing the point.

i just did what you asked. the things you are trying to hide, are your most recently used apps correct? i right clicked my taskbar, settings, and unchecked (or unslid since its a slider) to the off on "Show recently used apps" and it worked for me. 

but here is a quick google link for you to read through if there are other things im "missing" once again

http://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-ways-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu/

Just now, ZeusXI said:

i just did what you asked. the things you are trying to hide, are your most recently used apps correct? i right clicked my taskbar, settings, and unchecked (or unslid since its a slider) to the off on "Show recently used apps" and it worked for me. 

but here is a quick google link for you to read through if there are other things im "missing" once again

http://www.howtogeek.com/197836/8-ways-to-customize-the-windows-10-start-menu/

I don't have any "Most Used" or "Recently Added" menus/icons. Just the alphabetical order of all the Start Menu entries (inside the red lines in the picture). If I right-click the folders, nothing happens and if I right-click the apps icons (not the tiles!), there is no option to remove them except for uninstalling. If I go to the Start Menu folder (where the icons are saved) and delete them from there, they disappear from the section in question, but also from the tiles and I can't search for them either which means there's no way of opening them from the Start Menu (if they're deleted from the Start Menu folder).

In the next update of Windows 10 in March, you can hide this section.

Before:

old.png

After:

new.png

(click on the side button that is under the the hamburger (3 straight lines) button to show the app list)

The option is (or will be, if you don't want to go to the Insider Preview now and you want to or can wait): Settings > Personalization > Start, and turn on the option: Hide app list in Start menu

Apologies for the large images. I am on my laptop (125% DPI)

Hope this helps.

23 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In the next update of Windows 10 in March, you can hide this section.

Before:

old.png

After:

new.png

(click on the side button that is under the the hamburger (3 straight lines) button to show the app list)

The option is (or will be, if you don't want to go to the Insider Preview now and you want to or can wait): Settings > Personalization > Start, and turn on the option: Hide app list in Start menu

Apologies for the large images. I am on my laptop (125% DPI)

Hope this helps.

If I click the "3 straight lines" button it only opens this:

Spoiler

scr27.11.2016 2006.png

But, If I understand correctly, you are showing me what is in the Insider Preview version and isn't yet available in the current version?

53 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

If I click the "3 straight lines" button it only opens this:

But, If I understand correctly, you are showing me what is in the Insider Preview version and isn't yet available in the current version?

Exactly. As mention, it will be in the next update in March, if you don't want to join the Insider Preview.

55 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Exactly. As mention, it will be in the next update in March, if you don't want to join the Insider Preview.

So, if I want to, how do I join the Insider Preview? (if it's simple you don't need to explain and I'll just Google it)

43 minutes ago, Giganizer300PRO said:

1. You need a Microsoft account, and your main account needs to be a Microsoft joined account, if it isn't already.
  2. Then go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program, and click on Get Started.

That is all! The system will prepare your system (reboot might be required), and you'll be joined into the Slow ring by default. Return back to that panel to switch to the Fast Ring if you prefer (or to switch back), or leave the Insider Preview program for several days (up to 7 days).

Ring2.png

Choices you have are: Slow Ring and Fast Ring. Only Microsoft employees have access to the Microsoft ring, and Operating System Group Ring is only accessible to employees working on the Windows OS itself, this includes those working on Apps part of Windows OS, and Canary Ring is the employees working on Windows OS itself.

Downsides:

• If you want to really leave the Insider Preview program, you will need to re-install Windows 10. I think you can do an "upgrade" process (even though it is a downgrade) with Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to keep your stuff, but I never done it to really know... so a clean install might be required.
  • Expect bugs. Like the most visible bug right now, is that Universal Apps that are maximized and closed maximized, will re-appear by-themselves, not fully loading, when your system is idle.
  • Backup your data a lot. As these are BETA OS builds, things CAN go wrong. Some new build might not like your system, and corrupt your data. While I have never heard of such issue since Windows 10 was released officially, you (nor Microsoft) ever knows. Microsoft does internals tests to avoid this (hence the 3 rings layers before reaching the Fast Ring), and sometimes builds aren't released because of a critical issue, but it did leak out with Windows 7 beta and Windows 10 beta, (but in both cases it was before the OS was released to the public). That said, you have to be diligent
  • This is more of a recommendation from MS and myself: Best if you are a computer enthusiast and you know your way around Windows

What to expect:

• Play with the latest features as they come out, including in their incomplete state but functional (over time they gets more and more complete, of course)
  • Play with the latest versions of the built-in apps of Windows, before it reaches the public.
  • Provide feedback (suggestions and problems) you are facing with the feedback hub.
  • Windows poking you with feedback questions here and there. (you don't have to say anything, but it helps shapes the OS)

If you do join the Insider Preview, get forum notification on new builds, want to talk about it, share an issue you face, or ask if others faces an issue, we have a forum section for that, or just talk about it, join in here:

On 11/27/2016 at 10:43 PM, GoodBytes said:

Ring2.png

Downsides:

What to expect:

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the info. Still have to decide about it tho.