My experiences with the Razer Blackwidow (First Mech keyboard)

megadarkwood

Hey guys, about 2 months ago I bought this keyboard to be my first Mech keyboard. The keyboard has Cherry MX Blues and they just feel soooo niiiceee.. but I will talk about that in the review.

The keyboard costs around $100 and has MX Blues, works with almost all Windows.

Build Quality

I personally like the build quality, it is made out of plastic but still feels extremely solid. No flex at all. The cable is extremely thick and has 4 connections, USB for the keyboard itself, USB passthrough, headphones and mic. The cable is also braided so it is @LinusTech approved :)

The typing experience

I love these MX Blues but my mother could say otherwise. To me, the clicking sound is very satisfying and don't fatigue me at all. I can hear the clicking even when I am wearing earbuds and watching a video or listening to music. I usually bottom out the keys and they don't mess up or anything and when gaming the macro keys help out quite a bit depending on what game.

Should you get it? Why do people hate?

I do not know why people hate about it but I like it, go to a store and try it out for yourself. I know that Razers customer service sucks but hope fully I dont ever need to use them.

I know that this review was short but I have a headache (not from the keys!) and am tired so imma go to sleep. Thanks for reading.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Not a bad review, but let me reiterate why I dislike their keyboards.

Trust me, it's warranted. Their keyboards are overpriced, underfeatured and the build quality is crap. I have a BlackWidow Tournament which recently died of a broken Mini-USB connector, and Razer won't ship me the part to fix it.

But when a company leaves a customer hanging, that's when it gets annoying.

Listen, we all have our opinions and experiences. I am not judging them on just my experience, I am judging them from all ends. Maybe I just got a dud on their customer service line, maybe you just got lucky. That I don't know. I find it difficult to recommend any Razer keyboard, when:

1. On the lower end, Rosewill, Cooler Master and Steelseries make superior keyboards

2. On the higher end, Ducky, Corsair, Filco, Cooler Master and Steelseries dominate.

I have no problem recommending other products that they make, such as the Ouroboros, Orochi, Deathadder, Abyssus, Kraken or any other mouse/headset they do. But, they simply suck when it comes to keyboards and computers. Especially when MSI makes a laptop which has the same specs and is better for the money.

These are the reasons. I have no problem with them, just their keyboards and laptops. You may want to say:

Haters. Gonna. Hate

But it's not the case here.

Source: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69307-so-im-getting-a-mech-keyboard/

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

These are the reasons. I have no problem with them, just their keyboards and laptops. You may want to say:

Source: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69307-so-im-getting-a-mech-keyboard/

Personally, I like the way it looks.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

that sounds like a common micro USB problem. my ultimate has been going strong  for a while now, if it were some overpriced logitech "G Series" crap it would have died by now

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

that sounds like a common micro USB problem. my ultimate has been going strong  for a while now, if it were some overpriced logitech "G Series" crap it would have died by now

Whoops, I meant Mini-USB. I always make that mistake.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Most mechanical keyboards use the Cherry MX switches so you can expect the same high quality (that's why we pay so much for them).  I have the Black Widow Ultimate (legacy) and I pretty much love it.  The only complaints you usually hear are: they use non standardized key caps so you cant get replacement caps for them (you can, and they'll fit but they're a different size or shape); and the razer customer support isn't the best I've ever dealt with.  My only other complaint is that they caps aren't that easy to remove for cleaning underneath with out a key puller.

First Build:| Gigabyte 990FXa-UD3 | FX 8120 4.0Ghz | Coolermaster Seidon 240M | Asus Radeon HD 7870 | Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB SSD + WD Green 2TB HDD | Corsair RM750 | 8Gb Kingston HyperX 1866Mhz CL9| Fractal Define R4 White/Windowed |

Thanks for this review, I personally have a friend who has this keyboard and he loves it and so do I and I plan on buying it at Christmas time!

PC Specs:

New Compact Build

CPU: i7 8700k (Delidded)  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070Ti ACX 3.0 Black  |  Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming  |  Case: EVGA Hadron Air    

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000MHz  |  SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB  |  Monitor: ASUS PB287Q

OS: Windows 10  |  Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB  |  Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus  |  Headphones: Steelseries Arctis 5

Surface Book 2 15"

CPU: i7 8650U  |  GPU: GTX 1060M  |  RAM: 16GB DDR3

@TheSLSAMG

I don't get your hate, I really don't. It has all of the functionality you need, the build quality is there, the mass is there... As for the customer service - i have never dealt with any tech company directly, and none actually have their offices here, just importers. And what the importers do is usually not the responsibility of the manufacturer - but that is going a bit offtopic. 

Also, it's not flashy and filled with 'gamer' BS like over-the-top design and backlights. Also, the only mech keyboard I could find here was a steelseries something, which I liked less, and was just as expensive, and a logitech G710+, which is just horrible to look at and costs 40 € more for no reason. 

It also lacks any detachable mini-USB cables, so one thing less thing to go wrong. 

If anything does go wrong, I will report back here, but for now, nothing has. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I know that Razers customer service sucks but hope fully I dont ever need to use them.

dohohohohohohoho. I think it is inevitable with Razer products. I dislike it because it is made by Razer.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think mechanical keys bring as an improvement over membrane keys? The keyboard noob that I am would like to know. Thanks!

I have a Razer Blackwidow as well. Sadly I have the older model, which has a glossy finish, and no pass-through ports. I hate the gloss on mine, if you rest your hand on it it starts to melt and get's all over your palm. :/

Other than that it's a great keyboard. Still, though, I'm probably going to get a different keyboard, such as the Crosair K70.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Very often, what we think of a product or brand is often colored by our experience, so someone here has a bad experience or two with Razer, you can't blame him for feeling the way he does. To me, and I'm entitled to my opinion, Razer is all fart and no shit.....basically, Razer is well known because it is able to sell itself like a cheap hoe......via print and media ads, and via sponsorship. So much to the point that there was a recent thread hereabouts on 'Vote the best mech keyboard' (or something to this effect) with Razer winning overwhelmingly, so I don't see the need for those to defend the product, or to go around repeating 'haters gonna hate' mantra.

I don't own a single Razer mech keyboard, but I have easy access to a great variety of keyboards in my neck of the woods here because the shops I go to allow me to fiddle around with their selection of keyboards. And yes, I have tinkered with both the BWU 2013 as well as the Stealth Edition.....and to be blunt, I don't like the feel of the board and neither am I impressed with the build quality, but that's me. IF you believe Razer build quality is good enough for you, or that the BWU 2013 is of outstanding build quality, that's fine as we look for different things in a keyboard. For me, I think Ducky, Filco and DECK are of much better build quality than Razer, but that's just my opinion......and shared by 99% of those in GH (who may be prejudiced against Razer in the first place). Heck, even the Keycool keyboards which I'd gotten strikes me as very good keyboards especially at the price I'd gotten them, much better deal than had I gone with a Razer.

Now, I'm no sheep and just following the herd mentality, I've already had a bad impression of Razer even before knowing about GH....anyway, good brief overview of the Razer BW.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Good review. I've tried both Razer BWU 2013 and Ducky shine 3. build quality is surprisingly good for BWU, I'd say that it's comparable to the DS3. They are both feel better than the CM Storm Quickfire Pro, less key wobble. (granted Quick fire pro cost like half).

The only 2 products I could recommend from razer is their BWU 2013 and DA 2013

Cant wait to get my BWT.

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M