Cherry MX Red vs. Brown

Tesel

Hello all forum users,

I've been looking into mechanical keyboards recently and noticed some deals on Black Friday. I've likely narrowed my list down to these two:

Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown and Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Cherry MX Red

Now the K65 is currently 49.99 vs 69.99, and I prefer the aesthetics of the K65 tbh.

Would the Reds be bad for my usage, as someone who does both gaming and homework, and would the Browns be enough to make up the price difference?

What are your opinions of Reds for general use including gaming?

See for yourself

different-switches-.gif

i love my browns, reds are booring because you dont feel them and blues are too heavy IMO so browns are perfect :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Reds are a linear switch with no feedback, but have the same actuation as browns. Reds are the lighter version of blacks 

Browns are tactile so you feel a bump. that's where the actuation point is, thus the key is registered. Browns are a nice balance between typing and gaming, IMO. there are subjectively better switches out there, but most go for the browns 

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

See for yourself

<snip>

Believe me, I've done my research which showed that browns would probably best. The question is whether it's worth the extra cost.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i love my browns, reds are booring because you dont feel them and blues are too heavy IMO so browns are perfect :) 

How much of actual tactile feedback is there and how noticeable is it? The only thing I've heard is that some people don't find the browns to be very different from the reds, with only a little feedback.

Just now, Technicolors said:

Reds are a linear switch with no feedback, but have the same actuation as browns. Reds are the lighter version of blacks 

Browns are tactile so you feel a bump. that's where the actuation point is, thus the key is registered. Browns are a nice balance between typing and gaming, IMO. there are subjectively better switches out there, but most go for the browns 

I go for non mechanical cause I'm poor

Just now, Tesel said:

Believe me, I've done my research which showed that browns would probably best. The question is whether it's worth the extra cost.

How much of actual tactile feedback is there and how noticeable is it? The only thing I've heard is that some people don't find the browns to be very different from the reds, with only a little feedback.

i think its noticable, not even close to what blues feel like in terms of tactile feedback but you know when you have pressed the switch VS reds where you have no idea and they just feel horribe IMO. i right now have a K70 with browns and O-rings and i clearly feel the feedback from the switch and its great to type on and when gameing you know if you missed a keypress because the feedback is pretty obvius

TL;DR

noticable feedback, low noice, clear when you have actuated the switch where as you have no clue unless you look at the screen with reds

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Tesel said:

It is very noticeable. Honestly you have to try it yourself. But it is true that browns feel a little light, but not nearly as light as reds. A heavier version would be clears or greens (which is the heavyweight switch). 

You should really try and find a place where you can test the different switches, or at the very least order a switch plate with the different types on it so you can see which one you like more. Or, if you have the money, buy both keyboards and return the one you don't like.

Switches are such a personal thing that no guide can tell you which one is going to be best for your use case.

6 minutes ago, Tesel said:

Research doesn't do anything. I looked at it for a bit, and I should have liked blues or browns. I hate both.
I greatly prefer red, with travel reduction.

I find the Browns feel mushy and very shitty. Blues are too loud. I liked Red, or Black best.

Sadly MX Blacks aren't common.

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I go for non mechanical cause I'm poor

Honestly you're not missing out on much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

You should really try and find a place where you can test the different switches, or at the very least order a switch plate with the different types on it so you can see which one you like more. Or, if you have the money, buy both keyboards and return the one you don't like.

Switches are such a personal thing that no guide can tell you which one is going to be best for your use case.

Research doesn't do anything. I looked at it for a bit, and I should have liked blues or browns. I hate both.
I greatly prefer red, with travel reduction.

I find the Browns feel mushy and very shitty. Blues are too loud. I liked Red, or Black best.

Sadly MX Blacks aren't common.

Honestly you're not missing out on much.

Travel reduction as in o-rings?

6 minutes ago, Tesel said:

Travel reduction as in o-rings?

Correct.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Tesel said:

Hello all forum users,

I've been looking into mechanical keyboards recently and noticed some deals on Black Friday. I've likely narrowed my list down to these two:

Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown and Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Cherry MX Red

Now the K65 is currently 49.99 vs 69.99, and I prefer the aesthetics of the K65 tbh.

Would the Reds be bad for my usage, as someone who does both gaming and homework, and would the Browns be enough to make up the price difference?

What are your opinions of Reds for general use including gaming?

I'm on the same boat as you. I'm trying to switch over from mx blues and I just tested out reds vs browns. For me, the two switches feel very similar with no difference in bump vs no bump (maybe because I have been using blues + o rings for so long?..) and very light compared to the blues I'm used to.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Correct.

So currently I'm thinking about buying the 49.99 keyboard with reds, since I like the overall keyboard more, I'll return it if the reds don't work out. What type of o-ring would you recommend to go with reds to make them bottom out less? And how do o-rings actually work in that regard?

40 minutes ago, Tesel said:

So currently I'm thinking about buying the 49.99 keyboard with reds, since I like the overall keyboard more, I'll return it if the reds don't work out. What type of o-ring would you recommend to go with reds to make them bottom out less? And how do o-rings actually work in that regard?

You have to look at the hardness rating of the o ring, there's different types.

If you check a keyboard mod site, it'll say whether they're for sound reduction or travel reduction.

There are also different increments of reduction.

They just slide around the post, thus the key can't be pressed down as far as it could before.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler