Noob 2ds/3ds question

Hey everyone, 

I have maybe a dumb question? But my 2ds just started to not work on me (unresponsive touch screen and none of direction pads or the buttons but A and home work) so I'm going to be getting the "new" 3ds on black Friday. My question is, can I simply just take out the SD card from the 2ds and put it in the 3ds for my game saves?? I know their is a file transfer option in the settings but due to the 2ds not responding, I cannot get to that menu.

The NEW 3DS uses Micro SD cards, the 2DS uses regular SD cards. You physically can't put your old card in the new system. If you decided to first put all the data from your 2DS' SD card and put that on the NEW 3DS' micro SD card, it probably will work. I can't say this with 100% certainty, because I know some games sometimes do have some data stored on the internal memory.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

The NEW 3DS uses Micro SD cards, the 2DS uses regular SD cards. You physically can't put your old card in the new system. If you decided to first put all the data from your 2DS' SD card and put that on the NEW 3DS' micro SD card, it probably will work. I can't say this with 100% certainty, because I know some games sometimes do have some data stored on the internal memory.

How would I go about putting the data on the SD card? via pc?

3 minutes ago, trentklein said:

How would I go about putting the data on the SD card? via pc?

Yea.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

only way would be copying over the data to  a micro SD card via a PC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think the only way is the transfer utility in the settings.  Since you can't access it you might be out of luck though I'm not 100% sure.  I think they are tied to each handheld which I for one think is stupid.   

Game saves are encrypted and are stored on the NAND in the device, you will need to use the transfer utility as @revl8er suggested. Simply swapping SD cards is not enough.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

On 11/23/2016 at 5:25 PM, M.Yurizaki said:

You can transfer the contents of the SD cards in Windows. I've done it before when I did a system transfer and wanted to get a larger SD card.

Just remember to format the SD card to FAT32.

The problem is that the OP can't see the screen of his 2DS so he won't be able to do a system transfer.  

I'd check on Nintendo's website first.  Failing that you can give em a ring, and ask em directly.  

Simply copying over the SD card won't work. (But it can be done, and it was a step I took when transferring from an XL to a New XL.) There are other things that need to be transferred from system to system.  I don't remember the specifics, but the transfer guide is on Nintendo's website as well.