Created a 4K based Wallpaper site, looking for feedback!

Applepiee

I've been working on a 4K based wallpaper site and I feel like it's ready to show to the 4K loving community.

There may still be a bug or two or three, and am also still working on other features, but it should be more than enough already.

The site: Best 4K Wallpapers

You can:

• Browse in Categories,
  • Rate and Report,
  • Comment,
  • Submit Wallpapers,
  • And has a nice profile system where you can see the submitted and liked wallpapers on your profile and even upload a cover image.

I'm currently running out of idea's on how I can make it even better. Any suggestions?

Will these wallpapers work with my 1600x900 monitor?

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Will these wallpapers work with my 1600x900 monitor?

No. You need a new gpu

Text is fucky on mobile.

Impossible to scroll in menus.

Your blog text is broken as well. 

txNGBs6.png

Searching doesn't work?

ZyX2P5a.png

Contact us has the incorrect text

Zz2CIX1.png

Search should be at the top and easy to find.

AKQC8M1.png

Also why is your title lowres?

Don't talk about stale memes.

The site doesn't scale well when zoomed out:

83836b6f48dbfdd72c16fd8ef5e113d3.png

But in it's "normal" configuation (I guess 100% zoom?) it looks pretty good.

7 hours ago, Spook Eyes ?? said:

Text is fucky on mobile.

Guess I should hide the header on mobile (if that's what you mean)

Impossible to scroll in menus.

You're right, I will fix that.

Your blog text is broken as well. 

Created the blog, but haven't really used it yet, I will take a look at refining that.

Searching doesn't work?

Searching works. But I still have to name a lot of wallpapers that are in the database.

Contact us has the incorrect text

Thanks!

Search should be at the top and easy to find.

You're right, will revisit that.

Also why is your title lowres?

Title? You mean the header image?

Seems like most of the feedback is from mobile, I've been working for so long from my monitor, that I didn't really refine the mobile part.

27 minutes ago, duckwithanokhat said:

The site doesn't scale well when zoomed out:

83836b6f48dbfdd72c16fd8ef5e113d3.png

But in it's "normal" configuation (I guess 100% zoom?) it looks pretty good.

Is this important? Why would you want to zoom out?

3 minutes ago, Applepiee said:

Is this important? Why would you want to zoom out?

Actually not that important, just something I noticed.

29 minutes ago, duckwithanokhat said:

Actually not that important, just something I noticed.

I'm sure it's important for Ultra-Wide monitors though, but I don't really have suitable wallpapers available for such screen ratios

Looks alright, but do you have permission to redistribute these images?

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

5 hours ago, Applepiee said:

Guess I should hide the header on mobile (if that's what you mean)

You're right, I will fix that.

Created the blog, but haven't really used it yet, I will take a look at refining that.

Searching works. But I still have to name a lot of wallpapers that are in the database.

Thanks!

You're right, will revisit that.

Title? You mean the header image?

Seems like most of the feedback is from mobile, I've been working for so long from my monitor, that I didn't really refine the mobile part.

The blog header is the same color as the background. Makes it hard to see.

When I searched for a 1080x1920 image as shown in the screenshot, it does not update the search. If this is intentional, it's bad design.

Yeah the header image. It's already a little distorted without zooming in, but as soon as you zoom in even a tiny bit you see how badly the anti alias is implemented.

I haven't seen the site on my desktop yet, but I can assure you that zooming/sizing the browser should be something you address rather than saying "why would you do that".

10 hours ago, Spook Eyes ?? said:

I haven't seen the site on my desktop yet, but I can assure you that zooming/sizing the browser should be something you address rather than saying "why would you do that".

I just tried zooming out in any other website and it seems to do exactly the same. A zoom out will always be a zoom out.

The logo is a bit low res but other than that it looks nice.

(Haven't looked at the mobile version though)

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

38 minutes ago, Applepiee said:

I just tried zooming out in any other  badly designed website and it seems to do exactly the same. A zoom out will always be a zoom out.

Just because others ignore UX doesn't mean you should too.

Every website should use viewport sizes for everything except prerendered images. And when using images they should be vectors.

Honestly, I think the name is uninspired, as is the selection of wallpapers available.

Your site is literally identical to hundreds of others almost exactly like it, wallpaper sites are a dime-a-dozen, I'd find a USP (unique selling point) first and then work from there.

Wallpapers menu at the top feels like it should automatically pop down on hover, it does not, it requires a click? Also, the categories in the menu at the top and the pill buttons under the header are not in any way consistent, you should have a think about the user flow, and create consistent navigation.

It looks like you're running AVCMS Wallpaper Script, but you've illegally nulled the copyright footer div by adding a display:none; to the css, so you might want to stop doing that.

Not sure if you've created the theme yourself or just found one online, but it looks similar to many of the AVCMS templates out there, so I'll leave a question mark over that one.

3 hours ago, Spook Eyes ?? said:

Just because others ignore UX doesn't mean you should too.

Every website should use viewport sizes for everything except prerendered images. And when using images they should be vectors.

Sorry, I don't think you have any idea how html works. Vectors? Comparing zoom options with viewport sizes?

Will it support my 21600p wallpapers? xD /s (but srsly I do have some)

One feature I'd love to see, but that would be fairly hard to code would be to detect the actual resolution of an image.  For example, if I take a 480p image and stretch it to 4K and then upload that, it's technically 3840 x 2160 but the actual amount of detail in the file is still only 480p at best.  I've seen this happen on almost every wallpaper site where people upload upscaled garbage and so the resolution tags become meaningless.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, FileTrekker said:

Honestly, I think the name is uninspired, as is the selection of wallpapers available.

Your site is literally identical to hundreds of others almost exactly like it, wallpaper sites are a dime-a-dozen, I'd find a USP (unique selling point) first and then work from there.

Wallpapers menu at the top feels like it should automatically pop down on hover, it does not, it requires a click? Also, the categories in the menu at the top and the pill buttons under the header are not in any way consistent, you should have a think about the user flow, and create consistent navigation.

It looks like you're running AVCMS Wallpaper Script, but you've illegally nulled the copyright footer div by adding a display:none; to the css, so you might want to stop doing that.

Not sure if you've created the theme yourself or just found one online, but it looks similar to many of the AVCMS templates out there, so I'll leave a question mark over that one.

Please don't point your pitchfork at me. I did use the CMS base but created the theme and did tons of modifications in my free time myself..

I'm sorry if the name disappoints you. And yes, I did buy removal copyright addon but it doesn't delete itself and just did a quick fix.

33 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Will it support my 21600p wallpapers? xD /s (but srsly I do have some)

One feature I'd love to see, but that would be fairly hard to code would be to detect the actual resolution of an image.  For example, if I take a 480p image and stretch it to 4K and then upload that, it's technically 3840 x 2160 but the actual amount of detail in the file is still only 480p at best.  I've seen this happen on almost every wallpaper site where people upload upscaled garbage and so the resolution tags become meaningless.

I know, right?! While I was trying to collect wallpapers I had to open every image separately and actually zoom to see how much details are left. It will support your 2160p wallpapers and keep the original quality.

Also, your submitted wallpapers will be displayed on your profile and in the wallpaper details page.

1 hour ago, Applepiee said:

Please don't point your pitchfork at me. I did use the CMS base but created the theme and did tons of modifications in my free time myself..

I'm sorry if the name disappoints you. And yes, I did buy removal copyright addon but it doesn't delete itself and just did a quick fix.

I'm sorry you feel it's pointing a pitchfork, but you can't ask for criticism then dismiss it when you don't like it.

You should use the feedback to improve the site, you say you've made many modifications, but your site offers literally nothing that the 20,000 other 4K wallpaper sites offer. You really need to do something to make me want to visit your site over all the others.

13 hours ago, Applepiee said:

Sorry, I don't think you have any idea how html works. Vectors? Comparing zoom options with viewport sizes?

If you don't know these basic things, you clearly did not do much yourself.

Go learn html/CSS/JS before you rip off someone's framework when you have no idea what to do.

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd try redoing the logo as an SVG (or at least a higher resolution PNG) so that it scales better, especially on mobile.

Or he could literally make the title text rather than an image and change his icon to an svg (which is goddamn easy considering his logo is just lines.)