Will PCIe SSD make a difference in everyday use?

trzasku
Go to solution Solved by 1Reshiram12,

No, it only makes a difference if you really like M.2 slots or use it for professional use. It is considerably faster, but that ends up being the difference of 1 second to .5 seconds lol. As for the amount of storage, 240 is plenty for me on windows with games, but it varies from person to person.

I do not want to use any HDD because this is a silent build. I saturated my old Samsung 830 (256 GB) SSD with my poker hands (txt files) database and have to buy a new one for my system, games and some apps similar to Photoshop. I love speed and instant loading times but do not want to pay 100% more for a difference of say 1 second.

My question is, will a PCIe SSD like Samsung 950 Pro make a noticable difference in everyday use like system/app loading and app using times, system responsiveness, opening folders etc. over a normal Sata III (6GB/s) Samsung 850 SSD?  I do not transfer huge files. I would also want to ask what do you think about the GoodRam Iridum SSD compared to Samsung 850. Will 250 GB be enought for Windows, games and apps or should I go for 500?

• CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.2 GHz + Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
• GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 670
• Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPower
• PSU: Corsair RM650x
• RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 16 GB 
• Storage: Samsung 830 (256 GB) + ?

No, it only makes a difference if you really like M.2 slots or use it for professional use. It is considerably faster, but that ends up being the difference of 1 second to .5 seconds lol. As for the amount of storage, 240 is plenty for me on windows with games, but it varies from person to person.

Not really noticeable in everyday use but some apps take advantage of the extra bandwidth. also it's always good to have a large SSD and a separate hard drive in a system like this .

7 minutes ago, trzasku said:
-snip-

Here's the problem with your system, z77 doesn't have support for NVMe drives for primary boot up, unless your manufacturer of the motherboard has released BIOEes/UEFI update for a 4 year old platform that adds support for NVMe. 

So you could get an NVMe drive for secondary storage or modify your BIOS/UEFI but that is at your own risk.

Otherwise your SOL.

11 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

-snip-

But the Samsung 850 EVO is supported, right?

Just now, trzasku said:

But the Samsung 850 PRO is supported, right?

Yes, 850 Pro is a SATA 6gb/s based SSD.

Just a matter of how many SATA 6gb/s ports you have on your board. 

You can plug it into any SATA port on your motherboard, but if you plug it into a SATA 3gb/s port, you just won't get the full speed of the drive.

2 minutes ago, trzasku said:

But the Samsung 850 EVO is supported, right?

Yes, that is a sata drive, if your PC has a sata interface the it will work. You may have sata3 ports though which will be slower than the more modern sata 6 ports

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I have 2 Sata III (6 GB/s) and 4 Sata II (3 GB/s) ports.

The last question I would like to ask. Is there any difference (despite the fact that I save one Sata III port) between the Samsung 850 EVO SATAIII and Samsung 850 EVO mSATA3? On paper they and price they are the same.

c5a742bb22c62559b64808dc47298dde.png

5 minutes ago, Thread212 said:

No. only the form factor.

Msata3 is mini sata. it will perform similar to SATA3 ssd.

Only it uses m.2 slot.

Commonly found in a laptop.

Thanks! I just realised I do not have mSata ports on my MPower Z77 motherboard :$