First gaming pc build. Will the i5 6600k bottleneck the gtx 1070?

Go to solution Solved by Taja,
5 hours ago, Apollo1641 said:

I just wanted to know if my performance would be hit dramatically if i used a i5 6600k. Did not know that opinions and facts would be so controversial, i think it is best if we leave it here. I might get a i7 instead.

If i may, the best option is actually going with and i7 6700 (non k) at least on my country.

Here, the price of a h110 mobo + i7 6700 is equal to an z170 + i5 6600k, and it is better (you dont have to OC it, the performance will be better than most of 6600k, except the ones that won the silicon lottery).

And a i7 6700k for gaming is a luxury, a hell of a luxury. You dont need it, no one needs it, but People are ALWAYS over the top. It would boost performance? Yes. But really, People here would advocate that it is a good ideia to spend any amount of money for any improvement, even if it is 3000 dollars for 3% more fps.

I am going to build a gaming pc, it will be my first build. The processor is going to be a intel i5 6600k. Will it bottle neck a gtx 1070 video card? I have watched some videos where they say that the i5 will not bottleneck it, but i am not sure anymore. Do i have to step up to a i7? A i7 6700 (without k) maybe?

2 minutes ago, Apollo1641 said:

I am going to build a gaming pc, it will be my first build. The processor is going to be a intel i5 6600k. Will it bottle neck a gtx 1070 video card? I have watched some videos where they say that the i5 will not bottleneck it, but i am not sure anymore. Do i have to step up to a i7? A i7 6700 (without k) maybe?

Not for gaming, and not in general either but rendering will be better on the gpu than the CPU

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

1 minute ago, Apollo1641 said:

Only if you play cpu bound games

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 minutes ago, Apollo1641 said:

A 6700 costs more and performs far worse than the 6600k. Unless you plan on doing mass video rendering you should be fine

IM BACK BABY

3 minutes ago, Apollo1641 said:

The 6600K will suffice. You don't have to worry about bottlenecks as long as you are on i7 3770 and higher for mainstream and i7 3930K and higher on pro.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

It will bottleneck by 2 fps, which is basically nothing.

The geek himself.

7 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Very wrong, especially about the GTX 1080.

Yes it will for gaming at 1080p.

The 6700 outperforms the overclocked 6600K in most games, with more stable frametimes, framerates and higher framerates in most games. This is horribly wrong, especially when you say "FAR worse". Did you even look at benchmarks? The 6600K may perform better in 1 out of 10 games and worse at the rest.

Wrong like everyone else, the 6600K will bottleneck a GTX 1070 and a stock i7 3770 will in some titles compared to an overclocked 6700K. I mean it will suffice, but you'll see bottlenecks. 

Finally someone who say's it will bottleneck, but still wrong, the bottleneck can be up to 10% in some games, and 10% of 140 is 14 fps. 

Thanks guys for continuing to spread misinformation. Please educate yourselves with some benchmarks:

In your first video the difference is a literally 2-3 fps difference in the first few games when the i5 6600k is overclocked to 4.5 GHz compared to 4.6 GHz on the i7 6700k. You just defeated your own point. After that is it what? 6 fps at the very worst?

5 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

-snip-

Yes, the i7 6700K will perform marginally better due to more cache and slightly better clocks. But as I said, marginally better. If an i7 performs marginally better than an i5 that apparently bottlenecks a high end GPU, that would mean that no mainstream CPU can handle a high end graphics card, which is bullshit.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

Watch the video in its entirety, or even just skip around on the different benchmarks. There's clear bottlenecks in Far Cry 4 and Crysis 3. 

So 2 games out of 8? With a 7-8 fps difference at most? Does not seem good to pay an extra 50% for that.

11 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

The 6700 outperforms the overclocked 6600K in most games, with more stable frametimes, framerates and higher framerates in most games. This is horribly wrong, especially when you say "FAR worse". Did you even look at benchmarks? The 6600K may perform better in 1 out of 10 games and worse at the rest.

Wrong like everyone else, the 6600K will bottleneck a GTX 1070 and a stock i7 3770 will in some titles compared to an overclocked 6700K. I mean it will suffice, but you'll see bottlenecks. 

Finally someone who say's it will bottleneck, but still wrong, the bottleneck can be up to 10% in some games, and 10% of 140 is 14 fps. 

Thanks guys for continuing to spread misinformation. Please educate yourselves with some benchmarks:

Well what kind of performance are you looking at? Im talking 60fps max graphics 1080p. and 5 fps better is barely anything once you pass 45fps

IM BACK BABY

As ALWAYS, People here throw the digital Foundry vídeo like it is the bible. And the funny part is, it is interpreted like the bible: for me, it says the i5 6600k is PERFECT for a gtx 1070, and it is also pretty ok for a 1080, unless you have tons of money.

But People here aparently dont Care at all about diminishing returns and their own money, so their interpretetion is diferent.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Well.... in the online store i am using, the i7 6700 is only 94 dollars more expensive than the i5 6600k. Should i go for it? (i will order the parts on black friday, there may be some discounts)

and lets just add some more proof that the i5 6600k is going to bottleneck a 1070 and that a i5 should only be used with a 1060 and below. (maxwell titan x)

b41227d61898217535329a3fdc5d06ee.png

When a i5 6600k is OC'd to 4.5GHz then it barely catches up to a stock 6700k. It is far from sure that you can get a 6600k to 4.5GHz...

The FPS with a i7 is also a lot more stable, you can basically see that in any i5 vs i7 video.

Then there is this video, it shows how much the i5 6600k struggles with a 1060 at 1080p 60fps (Vsync on)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

Please be kind to members on the forum, we are all friendly here,

The geek himself.

I just wanted to know if my performance would be hit dramatically if i used a i5 6600k. Did not know that opinions and facts would be so controversial, i think it is best if we leave it here. I might get a i7 instead.

5 hours ago, Apollo1641 said:

If i may, the best option is actually going with and i7 6700 (non k) at least on my country.

Here, the price of a h110 mobo + i7 6700 is equal to an z170 + i5 6600k, and it is better (you dont have to OC it, the performance will be better than most of 6600k, except the ones that won the silicon lottery).

And a i7 6700k for gaming is a luxury, a hell of a luxury. You dont need it, no one needs it, but People are ALWAYS over the top. It would boost performance? Yes. But really, People here would advocate that it is a good ideia to spend any amount of money for any improvement, even if it is 3000 dollars for 3% more fps.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.