Do you need box and/or receipt for warranty?

I bought this motherboard 2 months ago which has caused me nothing but problems and now it stopped working.. I threw away the box and receipt too..

the motherboard is msi h100i pro ac 

I tried fixing the problem and fixed it but after 5 hours it stopped working again and ive been trying to fix it with the same method but it doesnt work if you want to follow this discussion its here 

5 minutes ago, Ilyas123 said:

I bought this motherboard 2 months ago which has caused me nothing but problems and now it stopped working.. I threw away the box and receipt too..

the motherboard is msi h100i pro ac 

I tried fixing the problem and fixed it but after 5 hours it stopped working again and ive been trying to fix it with the same method but it doesnt work if you want to follow this discussion its here 

Depends on the retailer

Hello

Generaly you do need receipt atleast. And most places require everything in box for RMA.. you could try email them directly and explain the situation and talk about it, they may be able to still help some companies are very helpfull.

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

1 minute ago, RS2007GOD said:

Generaly you do need receipt atleast. And most places require everything in box for RMA.. you could try email them directly and explain the situation and talk about it, they may be able to still help some companies are very helpfull.

I agree with you. Also most online retailers give you an e-receipt to your email but you may get stuck with the box issue

Hello

Yes and yes. More so if you need to ship it, original box is always best. Receipt you need always. If you are using retailers system, you can usually use the order number and select item which is in question. They won't accept RMA ticket if you can't prove that you've purchased item from known retailer and it is still under warranty.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

At least in the US. You dont need the receipt to send an RMA. Now the laws governing RMA's are different across the world. In the UK for instance you deal with the retailer you purchased the item from. Here in the US, you deal with the manufacture. When I had to RMA my Acer monitor all I had to do is follow their instructions on placing the RMA slip in the box and labeling the box wtih the RMA number. 

You might be able to get away with an normal run of the mill box. The only thing is you have to pack that thing so I can not break during transit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 hours ago, Ilyas123 said:

I would say it's not necessary to have the box and receipt. It's not like you're returning something within 30 days of purchase. You're RMA'ing a faulty piece of hardware under warranty. They might ask for your email receipt but if you buy everything on Newegg or Amazon you can look up your order history to prove the purchase as well. And no need for the box just pack it with plenty of foam or bubble wrap. They don't expect someone to keep the original box for 2 years

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

11 minutes ago, ZimFreak said:

I would say it's not necessary to have the box and receipt. It's not like you're returning something within 30 days of purchase. You're RMA'ing a faulty piece of hardware under warranty. They might ask for your email receipt but if you buy everything on Newegg or Amazon you can look up your order history to prove the purchase as well. And no need for the box just pack it with plenty of foam or bubble wrap. They don't expect someone to keep the original box for 2 years

its 2 months not 2 years

Hello

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

At least in the US. You dont need the receipt to send an RMA. ...

How does company know if you have still warranty left if you don't provide any proof of purchase? Serial number isn't good as its printed when part is made, not when its sold. And warranty starts from the day part is purchased.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

21 minutes ago, TAHIRMIA said:

its 2 months not 2 years

Wow no idea how I read that as 2 years. But the same thing should apply. I've never heard of a hardware company turning down an RMA because you don't have the box. Are they gonna ask for the original anti-static bag and twist ties as well?

Desktop: i5-6600k w/ be quiet! Pure Rock cooler. | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 mobo | Patriot Viper 16GB DDR4-3000 | 240GB Sandisk SSD | Corsair 500r Case (White) | HTC Vive!! | Shitty Insignia monitor

Peripherals: Razer BlackWidow Chroma | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Sennheiser 558

Phone: Nexus 5x
Tablet: Amazon Fire tablet (2015)

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

How does company know if you have still warranty left if you don't provide any proof of purchase? Serial number isn't good as its printed when part is made, not when its sold. And warranty starts from the day part is purchased.

Serial number is what I used for my monitor and the WD hard disk I RMAed back in the day. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, ZimFreak said:

Wow no idea how I read that as 2 years. But the same thing should apply. I've never heard of a hardware company turning down an RMA because you don't have the box. Are they gonna ask for the original anti-static bag and twist ties as well?

Lol.

I think it will be fine but i've never dealt with MSI customer services so IDK

Hello

Apply for an RMA on their website and they will tell you how to return it. Generally they will need a serial number, they might need proof of purchase, and they do not need the original box, you can almost always return it in a box of your choosing. I returned my EVGA power supply a couple of months ago in a shoebox, for instance.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz