Is my old CPU going to Bottleneck my new GPU?

Fullen

Hey guys, i'm thinking about upgrading my GPU to a Gtx 1070, and i was wondering if my Phenom II x6 1070T is going to bottleneck it too much.

Any recommendation is welcome, GPU you think i should get instead, or CPU that would make the cut for the 1070.

that would be a pretty horrible choke, i would get a new CPU and motherboard and something like the 1060 instead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Yes, badly. Budget to upgrade a CPU? Ideally at least an i5. I wouldn't buy more than a 470 with that CPU (Unless you upgrade). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

uh i5 6500 today man. Get a i5 6500 or 6600. You will be severely bottlenecked. get your self a nice msi motherboard or whatever brand u prefer

The geek himself.

Just now, Jorgen297 said:

Even an overclocked 6600K will bottleneck the GTX 1070 somewhat (although very marginally), so that's the least I'd recommend for a GTX 1070. 

Eh it depends

The geek himself.

In some titles at 1080p at least.

I haven't seen any bottlenecks when I tested the 6600k, maybe a 2 fps drop.

The geek himself.

Digital foundry benchmarks versus the 6700K using the old Titan X:

The 6600K can't fully utilize the GTX 1070 in some games. 

thats a stock clock

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

It's stock and OC. 

Oh yes my bad, least it's not a bad bottleneck

The geek himself.

Can we stop focusing on the bottleneck and start focusing on the potential gains this person can have? Can we also stop acting like we saw a video and now have a solid line in which to say for every use case you shouldn't be getting X GPU for Y CPU?

OP, get a GTX 1070, reap what performance gains you can get now, then save up for a new system. There's no harm in upgrading in steps like this.

What about upgrading to a I5 3570k instead of a  i5 6600k, would that be a waste ?

1 minute ago, Jorgen297 said:

I'm just informing about the bottlenecks. Some people don't like to admit that even overclocked high end i5s can't keep up with the new xx70 cards, but that's the truth I must spread. 

Then explain why my i7-6700 got worse scores with a GTX 980 in some benchmarks than an overclocked i5-4670K.

Just now, Fullen said:

What about upgrading to a I5 3570k instead of a  i5 6600k, would that be a waste ?

If you can get a decent deal on it, sure, but I don't see a point in not getting the latest thing available.

I hate to say the word "bottleneck", but that is the definition of a bottleneck.

You would be better of buying a h110 mobo, an i5 and a gtx 1060. It is a better investment.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

So, if i got a I5 3570k and a 1060, what kind of power supply would i need?
I know it's kind of unrelated but-

12 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

Because the benchmarks favors single core speed, which is not the case for current gen game titles, proven again and again by Digital Foundry, one of the best benchmarkers out there. 

http://www.techspot.com/review/917-far-cry-4-benchmarks/page5.html

Except TechSpot got a much tighter spread with their i7's and i5's they tested when they did the game.

But let's look at some more modern games:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1235-deus-ex-mankind-divided-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1267-battlefield-1-benchmarks/page4.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1271-titanfall-2-pc-benchmarks/page3.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1148-tom-clancys-the-division-benchmarks/page5.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/1128-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-benchmarks/page5.html

But if you're going to go "all they measured was average FPS and not frame times", okay. But in the DF video the frame rate hitches were 1. infrequent 2. they didn't last long and 3. happened in more intense scenarios of the game when there was a lot already going on.

And here's the other thing I'm going to fault the DF video on, they were taken during scripted sequences. Such sequences often have more flash and flair for the sake of being cinematic.

I just paired my 1090T with an RX470, and I can tell that the CPU is holding it back at stock clocks (not too badly with the CPU overclocked to 4GHz or so).  For a phenom that isn't heavily overclocked, I wouldn't pair it with much more than a 470.

So yeah, you'll bottleneck a 1070 pretty hard.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

Even an overclocked 6600K will bottleneck the GTX 1070 somewhat (although very marginally), so that's the least I'd recommend for a GTX 1070. 

I would say that the barometer for whether a 1070 is right for a particular system is not how that system's CPU with a 1070 performs compared to a higher-end CPU with a 1070, but how the system's CPU with a 1070 performs compared to that same CPU with a 1060, or something less than a 1070. If the difference in FPS between the one system with and 1070, and with a less-powerful GPU, is large, then the 1070 is useful for that system, regardless that a more powerful CPU paired with a 1070 gets even more FPS.

The difference between a 1060 and 1070, when paired with a CPU even less than a 6600K can be quite large, and so I think, if the person wants that additional FPS, then that's all that's important.

I see lots of posts claiming that a 1070 is overkill for 1080p / 60 FPS, but I also see benchmarks that show that anything less than a 1070 / 980ti doesn't achieve 60 FPS in many games when all settings are maxed, so, I think a 1070 can't possibly be overkill for 1080p / 60 FPS max settings when anything less is not powerful enough for 1080p / 60 max settings FPS, in many popular games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987