Silent build on tight budget (running Linux)

Hi there!

I want to replace my current build (Athlon X4 750K - based. And - actually - I was quite fond about it for quite some time. ) 

I've been thinking about this new build for like a month now, changing this and that every two days... Does it make sense in its current state?

I'll use it for:

1) Gaming (720p with max settings, pre-2016 games bound by DX9 and OpenGL. At least for the next few months... Or years...)

2) Programming (50% web dev, no resource-consuming webgl stuff. 50% 2D game dev, nothing even close to AAA)

3) Some light content creation (audio/video/graphics. Again, nothing proffesional. And I don't really care all that much about rendering times).

4) And it'll run lightweight Arch Linux as an only operating system. ( It'll also have Windows XP in virtual machine for VS2008 and Don't Starve Together game). 

As in the title - it should be as quiet as possible.

As for the pricing, it can not exceed $720 limit. One $ more, and I'd need to take a loan. And I hate those... ;)

Motherboard: MS-7707
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k

RAM: 8 GB DDR3 (two 4GB sticks that I already own)

My reasoning:

At first, I wanted to go with i5-6600K, compatible MoBo and new RAM. But then I looked around for benchmarks, and it turned out that with my needs I wouldn't notice much difference between this hi-end setup and deprecated 2500k, which can be overclocked if needed, too...  Also, I have never exceeded 7GB of RAM, even in my most resource-heavy endevours.

HDD: Toshiba 500GB 

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB

My reasoning:

At first, I wanted to go with NVMe drives, but it turned out that they truly shine only with sequential RWs, like huge databases. With my intended usage, both SATA-based SSD and NVMe drive would bog down to ~300MB/s speeds.

I want to make RAID-1 setup out of those two drives. After my RAID-0 burned down after 6 years of continous usage, I like to be careful around my data. I'll sacrifice write speeds, sure, but I read data way more often than I write it. And HDDs are way more trustworthy than SSDs, at least from what I've heard... 

GPU: Asus Strix GeForce GTX 970

My reasoning:

I'm not even sure if it won't be an overkill for my needs. If someone would recommend something less expensive, while equally silent and capable of running Crysis 1 and 2 on 720p@60 maxed out, I'll happily go with it.

PSU: Seasonic Platinum-460FL2 Fanless 460W

My reasoning:

AFAIK it's the only fanless PSU available for my market. And I don't need lot of Watts. Calculator tells me that I'll have around 100W headroom under heavy workload...

Carbide 100R Silent Edition Black MID-Tower

My reasoning:

It's the cheapest case available with sound dampening material. It has some good reviews, too.

AAB COOLING SUPER SILENT P4 PWM Rev.2

My reasoning:

Cheapest whisper-silent cooler, with size just enough for the case mentioned above.

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!

If I'm completely wrong about this build, I'll happily admit it :)

Cheers!

I've never heard of that Motherboard manufacturer. You might want to consider a more popular brand unless you already known Linux runs well on it.

The HDD/SSD RAID is a curious choice and there's very little price difference between 500GB and 1TB hard drives. You could just have a cron script calling rsync to back up your data without running RAID and incurring the performance penalty.

How much are you buying the 970 for? If you can get a 1050Ti for less, I'd go for that. It should run anything at 720p60, while drawing a whole lot less power.

Hi there!

Hmm... RSync idea is kinda neat. I'm already doing it on one production server after hosting's VM died badly. I'll definitely concider it.

Regarding the GPU: what do you think about this website: http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1050-ti-vs-geforce-gtx-970 ??

From what I see, 1050Ti and 970 (both Strix) cost exactly the same (used versions). Altough I must admit that new 1050Ti's are, indeed, cheaper. Should I rather go for the used 970, or new 1050Ti?