Should I get a PC now?

ceedot

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building a PC now but I'm not sure how long I should wait for new refreshed items. Here's my build idea so far:

• Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling 8GB
  • Intel Core i7 6700K
  • Swiftech H220 X2 Prestige AIO CPU Liquid Cooling System
  • Corsair Vengeance LED CMU32GX4M4C3000C15R 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 
  • Intel 600P Series 512GB M.2 SSD 
  • Corsair HX750i 750W 80 Plus Platinum Power Supply
  • ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Motherboard
  • Lian-Li PC-O8WX Windowed Cube Chassis - Black

My concern is that some items are just over a year old and the companies may bring in new ones soon. Let me know what you think!

Well what are some of the most important things that are coming up?

• Intel Kaby lake
  • AMD Zen
  • AMD Vega

Kaby lake seems to offer very little increase in performance.

Zen will probably not out perform Intel per core but will probably be cheaper.

Vega will likely push down the prices of Nvidia's GTX 10-series and may even out perform them but we dont know yet.

All the other parts are good and will likely stay the same for awhile as they wont affect performance dramatically.

Although i would personally cheap out on some of the parts. Cheaper AIO, cheaper GTX 1080 and less RAM. 

If you NEED that PC now, go ahead, it's gonna be great for a while, if not, Kaby lake is supposed to come out in january, while (from the rumor) Zen would be in april-may.
Also the GPU, Not only AMD Vega is supposed to help with the price of the 1080, but if a 1080Ti comes it, that will too bring down the price of the 1080, so wait a bit if you dont need to upgrade

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

You will be fine with this build, I've had my 4790k for a 2 years now and it still destroys everything I throw at it. Id only swap that chip now if I could get a good deal (VERY GOOD) on X99

There's no real point it waiting on unproven hardware, there's is always something "coming soon" in PC, just get what you can now unless soon is like 2 weeks or so away

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

These are all very good answers.

Okay so my only concern now is the motherboard. I'm really unsure what to get. I'm looking at the MSI M7, and the Designare but I'm confused as which to go.

The PC is for both gaming and editing 4K video. I was thinking about going up to a x99 but I think it just pushes the budget a bit. I'd go the 6800K though, but again, motherboards I have no idea.

2 minutes ago, ceedot said:

These are all very good answers.

Okay so my only concern now is the motherboard. I'm really unsure what to get. I'm looking at the MSI M7, and the Designare but I'm confused as which to go.

The PC is for both gaming and editing 4K video. I was thinking about going up to a x99 but I think it just pushes the budget a bit. I'd go the 6800K though, but again, motherboards I have no idea.

Stick with the 6700k, the single core performance> 6800k in adobe suite

The only thing that might get meaningful,y replaced there is the gpu. If I were you Id go for the full build, cheap out on a secondhand 760 or some shit and wait for vega/1080ti.

- snip-