Chip not allowing backplate to fit flush on motherboard

add0f183a9.jpeg

I can get the mounting screws to screw in on the otherside, albeit not as tight. Is this an issue? Should I raise it slightly with a nylon washer?

1 minute ago, Brian McKee said:

I can get the mounting screws to screw in on the otherside, albeit not as tight. Is this an issue? Should I raise it slightly with a nylon washer?

You can try using some washers to raise the backplate but that potentially may affect the mounting so I would keep an eye on that, other than that you can try making a cut section to accommodate the chip. What motherboard is that btw don't think I've seen one with such a large chip before. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

You can try using some washers to raise the backplate but that potentially may affect the mounting so I would keep an eye on that, other than that you can try making a cut section to accommodate the chip. What motherboard is that btw don't think I've seen one with such a large chip before. 

Some shitty intel mini itx. And cutting is no dice because I don't have the tools for it. Plus I think cutting a portion like that would break it.

Some shitty intel mini itx. And cutting is no dice because I don't have the tools for it.

so by process of elimination... WASHERS!

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Some shitty intel mini itx. And cutting is no dice because I don't have the tools for it. Plus I think cutting a portion like that would break it.

Is it the same one that Linus killed 3 of? 

5 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

had the same problem on my ITX board (also intel) , thank god I also had a second backplate that was slightly raised so the chip was no issue , look for one of those

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Well the washers I have are too thick and the LGA 775 plastic riser for the backplate went missing so that isn't an option either.

17 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

had the same problem on my ITX board (also intel) , thank god I also had a second backplate that was slightly raised so the chip was no issue , look for one of those

lmao I don't think secondary backplates are standard.

Just now, Brian McKee said:

lmao I don't think secondary backplates are standard.

I just had 2 coolers of the same model and one of em had that slightly differend backplate

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

I just had 2 coolers of the same model and one of em had that slightly differend backplate

Yeah I don't have such luck since I don't have many coolers in general. I need this cooler to work.

Yeah I don't have such luck since I don't have many coolers in general. I need this cooler to work.

tiem to dremel

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

tiem to dremel

Not happening, as I said, it'd probably break the backplate. I don't even trust myself to do it.

Not happening, as I said, it'd probably break the backplate. I don't even trust myself to do it.

damn , well that sucks , no pushpin coolers on hand ?

what is It supposed to cool ?

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Space Reptile said:

damn , well that sucks , no pushpin coolers on hand ?

what is It supposed to cool ?

It's going to cool my 3570k, and I desperately want this big top down cooler to fit because I don't trust the VRMs on this motherboard.

It's going to cool my 3570k, and I desperately want this big top down cooler to fit because I don't trust the VRMs on this motherboard.

bugger , otherwise a arctic freezer 7 or hyper t4 would be recommended

PSU Tier list

If you NEED this cooler to work, then you NEED to mod that backplate, risk cracking that chip with pressure, or space the backplate away from the board enough to clear that chip. Grinding the interfering section would work, as could using some washers, or presumably bending the outer parts of the four legs of the backplate, from picture perspective: downward from where each of the 4 pairs of holes are, then up almost at the ends but enough to clear the mounts (could use a couple pliers and massive hand strength). Obviously, the latter is last resort. 

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Just now, Space Reptile said:

bugger , otherwise a arctic freezer 7 or hyper t4 would be recommended

I have no money, I just need my rig to work. If I had money I wouldn't have even gotten this shitty intel board in the first place. It's been one disaster after another with shit dying, things not working and I just want something to go smoothly for once.

FYI I think you'd find breaking a backplate by grinding more difficult than tearing paper by writing on it.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Managed to get the clearance I needed with the LGA 775 bracket that I had previously lost, gave me about less than a mm of space between the chip and the plate! All but 1 of the mounting screws on the other side secured all the way but I don't think it'll be an issue anyways.