Will there ever be a ASIC folding machine?

There are ASICs for coin mining but will there ever be an ASIC for Folding?

Also, I'm back.

A10-7800 | GTX 750 Ti | 8GB DDR3

Folding Stats

I don't normally have interest in this subforum, but... Folding@Home originally was meant to use your hardware when you're not using it. So I figured having an ASIC kind of defeats the spirit of that. I'm sure those who are heading the project already have such things anyway.

Besides ASICs are expensive. Even with mining ASICs, you have to mine for a while before you recoup the cost of the equipment and bills.

ASIC would make sense but it is not the point of the program.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I would love to see/own one, but i dont see them coming around anytime soon. Money drove mining to ASICs. No such push in folding.

Feel free to help me get better Folding/Boinc gear use my EVGA Affiliate Code: UXDU12XE8E

Also rerember that for the goal of the project, asic miners would be beneficial. However no incentive other than competitions/curecoin to buy dedicated hardware.

PC SPECS: CPU: i5 4460, MOBO: Asrock H97 Anniversary, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x8GB, GPU: MSI Gaming R9 390 8GB, CASE: Cooler Master N200, Storage: 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Coasair CX600

Active Folder

An ASIC (Application-specific integrated circuit, which as the name implies is a custom silicon jobbo made on VERY small (comparatively) scale) is expensive to spin and produce, bitcoin mining makes you money, so chip makers can pass on the cost for those tiny chips that do one thing easily, F@H is voluntary, so would you be willing to spend $1000 on a tiny board and chip that, granted would fold better, but still about as good as  PC although also use less power. 

Yours faithfully