free learning tools?

cakevreter2000
Go to solution Solved by vorticalbox,
5 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

okey, so here is the thing.

this year i will finish my IT school for working behind a service desk. however i want to continue learning. so after this i can start the education for application creator. (it might work different in other country's so i'm sorry if you don't understand what that is or how this works.) 

so obviusly they are gonna learn me how to code there.... however i want to get a head start.

i think they will mostly be going for mobile and windows applications. this is also what i would be the most interested in.

in which case java or c# will be your best bet. C# can be used to create a whole host of things. Websites, Windows applications, universal that will run on windows, mobile and Xbox and with xarmin you can create android and iOS.

A lot of people will suggest learning python and I somewhat agree but only if you're learning it with OOP (object oriented programming). Code academy has an interactive python tutorial that covers classes and oop in the later lessons.

after that you can move to c# or java.

Hello, I want to start learning how to code, but i have no clue where to start :S so i ahve the following questions.

what are the most common programming languages used today?

what is a good one to start with?

and is there some kind of website thet will teach me (atleased the start) for free?

1 minute ago, cakevreter2000 said:

Hello, I want to start learning how to code, but i have no clue where to start :S so i ahve the following questions.

what are the most common programming languages used today?

what is a good one to start with?

and is there some kind of website thet will teach me (atleased the start) for free?

first, have a think about what you want to create. Websites front end or back, Windows applications, cross platform, command line, mobile.

then from there we can suggest learning material. Try not to worry about what "languages" to use as they aren't what's important. Learning methodologies such as DRY, solid (oop) are what is important.

Being able to create good code is better than knowing a language and just hammering lines of code that are messy and not reusable.

So tell me what interests you?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

HTML, PHP, CSS for websites.

Java, the C languages for applications and games (mainly)

What you probably want to learn is HTML first, to get the just of how code works. I recommend YouTube because HTML is super easy. Once you learn HTML it's best to move onto the next language, which depends on which road you want to take; website or application/games.

If you want to code games and applications, I'd recommend Python, then Java, then the C languages.

If you want to code websites, I'd recommend PHP, then CSS, then JavaScript optionally. 

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

first, have a think about what you want to create. Websites front end or back, Windows applications, cross platform, command line, mobile.

then from there we can suggest learning material. Try not to worry about what "languages" to use as they aren't what's important. Learning methodologies such as DRY, solid (oop) are what is important.

Being able to create good code is better than knowing a language and just hammering lines of code that are messy and not reusable.

So tell me what interests you?

this year i will finish my IT school for working behind a service desk. however i want to continue learning. so after this i can start the education for application creator. (it might work different in other country's so i'm sorry if you don't understand what that is or how this works.) 

so obviusly they are gonna learn me how to code there.... however i want to get a head start.

i think they will mostly be going for mobile and windows applications. this is also what i would be the most interested in.

5 minutes ago, Jed M said:

HTML, PHP, CSS for websites.

Java, the C languages for applications and games (mainly)

What you probably want to learn is HTML first, to get the just of how code works. I recommend YouTube because HTML is super easy. Once you learn HTML it's best to move onto the next language, which depends on which road you want to take; website or application/games.

If you want to code games and applications, I'd recommend Python, then Java, then the C languages.

If you want to code websites, I'd recommend PHP, then CSS, then JavaScript optionally. 

i did a little bit of HTML in school allready. i know how coding works 

codecademy is really good. 

As for compilers and stuff, youtube how to install the compiler you want. 

Some good ones are code blocks, visual studio community edition, and eclipse. (For languages like C++, C#, and Java). 

5 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

in which case java or c# will be your best bet. C# can be used to create a whole host of things. Websites, Windows applications, universal that will run on windows, mobile and Xbox and with xarmin you can create android and iOS.

A lot of people will suggest learning python and I somewhat agree but only if you're learning it with OOP (object oriented programming). Code academy has an interactive python tutorial that covers classes and oop in the later lessons.

A lot of people will suggest learning python and I somewhat agree but only if you're learning it with OOP (object oriented programming). Code academy has an interactive python tutorial that covers classes and oop in the later languages.

i used codecademy to learn HTML and it whas pretty good. so python it is. thanks all of you guys :D

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

A lot of people will suggest learning python and I somewhat agree but only if you're learning it with OOP (object oriented programming). Code academy has an interactive python tutorial that covers classes and oop in the later languages.

Personally I think you can do Python or Java. 

My first coding was with C, or a variation of C. (We used a compiler called robotC for Vex, and Mindstorms) then I moved onto javascript, C++/C#, then learned some java at this school. 

The Java course on Codecademy is different from the Python course on codecademy. However I've heard the Classes is really well explained in the Java lesson (I only just got to Classes before I got distracted) and it's only 3 hours compared to Python's 7 or 9 hour course. 

I'm not an expert but Javascript C++, C#, and Java are very similar in syntax and functionality. (Get a second Opinion on that before you think those 4 languages are too similar. I haven't written a huge full fledged program with any of them. I just write Unity Scripts a lot.) 

9 minutes ago, fpo said:

Personally I think you can do Python or Java. 

My first coding was with C, or a variation of C. (We used a compiler called robotC for Vex, and Mindstorms) then I moved onto javascript, C++/C#, then learned some java at this school. 

The Java course on Codecademy is different from the Python course on codecademy. However I've heard the Classes is really well explained in the Java lesson (I only just got to Classes before I got distracted) and it's only 3 hours compared to Python's 7 or 9 hour course. 

I'm not an expert but Javascript C++, C#, and Java are very similar in syntax and functionality. (Get a second Opinion on that before you think those 4 languages are too similar. I haven't written a huge full fledged program with any of them. I just write Unity Scripts a lot.) 

The python course has some pretty complex problems to solve that's why I suggested it but yes java is also good. What python has over java is taking the learning curve of syntax away as it is basically English. Sorry no code tags but a look in java.

for (int I =0; I<10; I++)

{

code

}

where as in python.

for I in range(10):

code

it allows one to focus on the logic and not worrying if you can typed in everything correctly. I'm jot saying don't learn java at all it's a very good language tutorials just tend to shuv OOP down your throat.

2 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

The python course has some pretty complex problems to solve that's why I suggested it but yes java is also good. What python has over java is taking the learning curve of syntax away as it is basically English. Sorry no code tags but a look in java.

for (int I =0; I<10; I++)

{

code

}

where as in python.

for I in range(10):

code

it allows one to focus on the logic and not worrying if you can typed in everything correctly. I'm jot saying don't learn java at all it's a very good language tutorials just tend to shuv OOP down your throat.

Good point. It's been a while since I did the Python Course. I completely forgot all the syntax hahaha. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

Good point. It's been a while since I did the Python Course. I completely forgot all the syntax hahaha. 

I'm a PHP developer (having a trial day today) if I could do any language for a job it would be python focused on computer to data analysis but hey needs must lol. They have a bytecode section in the python course and I was suck on that for a while.

I'm a PHP developer (having a trial day today) if I could do any language for a job it would be python focused on computer to data analysis but hey needs must lol. They have a bytecode section in the python course and I was suck on that for a while.

In my experience with Java, and C#/C++ I prefer C#/C++ because of the pointers and things like that. 

If Python is as flexible, (Since Java, C++ and Python are cross compatible) maybe we should all only use Python for everything. 

5 minutes ago, fpo said:

In my experience with Java, and C#/C++ I prefer C#/C++ because of the pointers and things like that. 

If Python is as flexible, (Since Java, C++ and Python are cross compatible) maybe we should all only use Python for everything. 

that would be usefull. but sadly it would never happen. it's like saying the whole world should only use english. this would be so usefull and helpfull but it would just never happen becouse some people are just stubbern

2 minutes ago, cakevreter2000 said:

that would be usefull. but sadly it would never happen. it's like saying the whole world should only use english. this would be so usefull and helpfull but it would just never happen becouse some people are just stubbern

Not to mention that I'm 99% sure Websites cannot be programmed with Python, or if they can, it is ridiculously complex. If I'm wrong, then by god we need to stop being stubborn. 

20 minutes ago, fpo said:

Not to mention that I'm 99% sure Websites cannot be programmed with Python, or if they can, it is ridiculously complex. If I'm wrong, then by god we need to stop being stubborn. 

You can use Django to create websites. From what I have seen its not much different than using a php framework like laravel.

The problem is python has been adapted to do all this stuff where as c#, php and the like where created with a purpose in mind and tend to be better at their jobs. Plus python isn't that great for creating GUI, there is pygame but that doesn't work on python 3.

if anything c# would be the language as it does run on everything.