M.2 SSD cooling in open case

Karon

Hey,

I'm about to buy a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 and now want to ask for suggestions about how I should cool it so that it stays cool at all times.

I have the Thermaltake Core P5 Case and all of my components Watercooled (custom loop).

The only (spinning) fans in my PC are the 4 fans on my 480 rad and I don't want to add another one (which I'd have to install in an odd angle or bad looking).

I use the PCI-E Riser cable to turn my GPU 90 degress, meaning that I won't be able to use slot-in cards with coolers in my PC.

I was thinking about using a generic Waterblock and put it on the SSD with thermal conductive tape.

Are there good ones out there (with availability in europe/germany if possible) or would you cool it another way?

-Karon

4 minutes ago, Karon said:

Hey,

I'm about to buy a Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 and now want to ask for suggestions about how I should cool it so that it stays cool at all times.

I have the Thermaltake Core P5 Case and all of my components Watercooled (custom loop).

The only (spinning) fans in my PC are the 4 fans on my 480 rad and I don't want to add another one (which I'd have to install in an odd angle or bad looking).

I use the PCI-E Riser cable to turn my GPU 90 degress, meaning that I won't be able to use slot-in cards with coolers in my PC.

I was thinking about using a generic Waterblock and put it on the SSD with thermal conductive tape.

Are there good ones out there (with availability in europe/germany if possible) or would you cool it another way?

-Karon

does it need that much cooling?

if there were conserns for cooling it would have a heatsink on it, and with no heatsink airflow wont help nearly as much

7 minutes ago, Karon said:

Hey,

-Karon

don't go too deep, just buy a small heatsink an point that, at least, 1 fan. and that' you will perform better.

any of these should be fine

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Chips-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00E36SEB4

*** https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Raspberry-Piece-Black-Aluminum/dp/B01K7E840G

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Power-Supply®-15x13x6mm-15mmx13mmx6mm/dp/B00S6YOE5O

2 minutes ago, Christopher_ said:

does it need that much cooling?

if there were conserns for cooling it would have a heatsink on it, and with no heatsink airflow wont help nearly as much

technically speaking it does not need it for daily usage. During Data Transfers it can thermal throttle quite heavily.

Since most reviewers only say "blablabla thermal throttles after X seconds" I can't tell you just how hot it runs, but I've read that it can run with up to 60+°C on normal usage (browsing etc)