160$ Motherboard for i5-6600k and gtx 1070

Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,

Motherboards don't currently matter performance wise. Look for a motherboard that has the features you need, and one that you think looks good, and you will be good to go.

Hi. What motherboard should i get in the price range of 160$, good for overclocking? I know it has to be a Z170 but i see so many prices, I'm not sure which one is future proof. How is Gigabyte Z170-Gaming k3? I've seen the Asus pro gaming one and the z170-A but i don't see any significant diferences between them, though the price is annoyingly different. Any suggestions? thank you

1 minute ago, AngelLV said:

Hi. What motherboard should i get in the price range of 160$, good for overclocking? I know it has to be a Z170 but i see so many prices, I'm not sure which one is future proof. How is Gigabyte Z170-Gaming k3? I've seen the Asus pro gaming one and the z170-A but i don't see any significant diferences between them, though the price is annoyingly different. Any suggestions? thank you

I have this board, the MSI 1151 krait edition. it overclocks nicely and for about 130$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130920&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-N82E16813130920&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQzJm8YfTYNXmnbTA12S0NWHu57Cq_E12UeGgdc9XuiwaAsLA8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Motherboards don't currently matter performance wise. Look for a motherboard that has the features you need, and one that you think looks good, and you will be good to go.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I personally have the z170-a and I love it. It overclocks nicely and looks slick in my black/white build. But really you have to look at the extra features/software in motherboards, because that's where price increases and where personal preference kicks in. Any of those boards will be fine, though. Plus you should get the one that goes with your build and you like the look of :P

4 minutes ago, Eclipse_ said:

I personally have the z170-a and I love it.

I back this whole-heartedly.

The Asus Zxxxx-A boards have been awesome boards for the last few generations. They provide you with the same core features as all of Asus's more expensive offerings with just a few less bells and whistles that most people wouldn't use anyway. They also looks great (IMO) and I have found them to be rock solid. I do not have one in my own system but have built a few systems using these boards.

But as @bgibbz said, mobos don't really matter nowadays for performance. Get one that is a Z170, and has the features you need (wifi, Bluetooth, M.2 support, extra USB 3, extra SATA, whatever)

When in doubt, re-format.

I personally like ASUS and EVGA motherboards the best but get a decent motherboard that has all the I/O that you need like M.2, USB 3.1, etc and has a ascetic that you like. Like @bgibbz and @pwn_intended said the motherboard really does not make a difference in performance.