HTPC / VR Ready Build

1. Budget & Location

US of A, 750 USD max, purchasing on Black Friday.

2. Aim

General Use, Light to Moderate Gaming, Eventually, Light Video Editing and VR

3. Monitors

Running on a 4K TV for now. Gaming will be done at 1080p

4. Peripherals

Already budgeted for and chosen.

5. Why are you upgrading?

Can't game on my current MBP.

Morning to everyone!

After about 10 years in the Apple ecosystem I've decided to come back to PC gaming as the PS4 just doesn't cut it anymore.

Due to a lack of space in my current apartment, I can't find a nook to place a monitor, so, for the time being until I move out, this new pc has to be hooked up in my living room, to a 4K TV. I'm looking to run everyday tasks with this PC, as well as set up a future racing rig once I have the space, I wanted my components to be at least minimum VR spec so that I at least have that option down the line. I this I ran into a few problems. which I'll talk about in more detail below.

This is my partlist which I'll be purchasing on Black Friday / Cyber Monday, and is still open to change besides a few components. 750 USD is the max budget.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $170.00
CPU Cooler CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler $26.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H110N Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard $14.96
Memory *GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory $67.99 @ Newegg
Storage ADATA Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $61.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card $239.98 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case w/450W Power Supply $119.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $701.90
  *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria  
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-17 05:11 EST-0500  

CPU - I want a quad core for future proofing / a future project of mine which will envolve some video editing. I was equating an i3 6100, but I feel the quad core performance will be a better bet in the long run. The price is from the current sale at my local MicroCenter.

CPU Cooler - Want this thing to be quiet and the Intel SHF just doesn't cut it from what I've seen, so I decided to go with this after a lot of positive reviews.

Mobo - This is an open box from MicroCenter at about 44 USD, with 30 USD off from the combo deal, it comes to 15 USD which really is a no brainer. I'll pick up an M.2 Wifi/Bluetooth card later and add that in so that this rig will become more portable in the long run.

Memory - RAM is ram in a closed case. 16GB is the least im looking for if I'm ever going to go into video editing.

SSD- One of my areas of doubt as currently MicroCenter has an Intel 600p 250GB M.2 PCI SSD at 70 USD. Which would you go with? I've read some reviews that the 600p isn't all that great but it's still faster than a SATA 6 SSD right? Eventually, I'll pick up a 2.5 HDD to add some data to in the long run.

GPU - Lots of questions here... But I've decided to be able to run VR long term here and the jump from 500 to 600 to 700 USD in terms of performance is huge, so 750 USD is the max budget. Which leaves us with the RX 480 or the GTX 1060. I'd like to go with the 480, as I may Hackintosh this system eventually, and that would be more compatible, as well as more future proof. I don't run any super stressing games, Diablo 3, Dirt Rally, Civ 6, Football manager, Motorsport Manager, Borderlands 2... and I plan on playing this at 1080p if the game doesn't run at 4K, eventually in a VR setting. Being this a small case, I'm inclined to go with a blower style cooler, but the stock RX 480 isn't really all that great... Does anyone have a regular 480 in a Node 202? Does it run super hot? After JayzTwoCentz reviewed the XFX card, I'm inclined to go with that one of the MSI gaming X version... The 1060 is also a solid choice here as that is about 10% better out of the box, about the same price, and a better overclocker... But DX12 performance is looking better on the AMD side, and I'd like to keep this system for a little while.

Case / PSU - This thing has to fit in my living room and this was the easiest way to do it. Not a fan of the SilverStone case, and the fact this one comes with a power supply is pretty clutch. A little worries about heat dissipation but well see how that goes.

Keyboard / Mouse - Ordered the Anne Pro 60% Wireless Mechanical KB, and buying the Logitech G403 eventually to go along with all this. After all I will be playing from my couch so no wires would be lovely.

Thanks for your input!

Looks pretty good! I think the 600p is good enough, its read speeds are of an m.2 SSD however its write is mediocre on par with normal 2.5 ssd's. I'd go with the 1060 but hey, do whatever floats your boat. I'm kinda paranoid so i like my temps low ^^. I love the C7 <3

1 hour ago, MrAwesomepants said:

Looks pretty good! I think the 600p is good enough, its read speeds are of an m.2 SSD however its write is mediocre on par with normal 2.5 ssd's. I'd go with the 1060 but hey, do whatever floats your boat. I'm kinda paranoid so i like my temps low ^^. I love the C7 <3

I hear you on the 1060 especially with the temps, in a close case that is really what im thinking about most to be honest with you, and the 1060 in that regard will be the performer without a shadow of a doubt. I guess it might come down on what the best deal is come black friday. Regarding the SSD, I'm not planning on doing a whole lot of writing onto the 600p after the initial installs so I'm hoping those read speeds will help with boot times in general. C7 love all the way.

Thanks for your help.