Minecraft linux Terminal Question.

Hello guys, 

You may have seen my resent post explaining that I wanted to setup a minecraft server on a linux distro. I gave Ubuntu Server a try, but it got the best of me. I got it installed and it wouldn't boot properly. To cut to the chase I got Linux mint installed. (I guess it is the same thing other than the GUI taking up more RAM. ) I was able to launch the server and get it up and going. I was also able to connect to it via another computer. I also wanted to control it with putty as well and I was able to get that running as well.

One thing I noticed though was that if I where to connect via putty, after the server had all ready been launched, I was unable to use terminal commands to change the server. I could only do this via Putty  if I was to launch the server with Putty. Also I noticed when I closed the terminal with out shutting down the server properly, the server would keep running and I could not figure out how to get back into to the terminal that would control the server. My main question is how can I access the terminal of the server after it has been closed via at the physical computer, or Putty connection. Many thanks!

This is because putty (ssh in general) creates a new session rather than giving you access to the current one. If the server needs to be run manually via command line every time then I don't think there is a way to do what you ask.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

putty connects you to linux, not minecraft server. the minecraft server should provide you with a console to issue commands. You should have  setup an admin user on the minecraft server itself separately from your linux user. From this minecraft admin account you will be able to administer your server using http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

11 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try using tmux or screen

I have heard of screen, you can basically save terminal screens as files almost and the then re-access(if my understanding is correct).

19 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

putty connects you to linux, not minecraft server. the minecraft server should provide you with a console to issue commands. You should have  setup an admin user on the minecraft server itself separately from your linux user. From this minecraft admin account you will be able to administer your server using http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands

Yes thank you I understand that. I would be close the server terminal and then come back to it. That is kind of the main thing I am after.

I understand how to navigate and move files within the terminal. I am just curious about how things work when it comes to running programs servers, and what not. I will have to tinker with a few of the programs suggested. Thanks for everyone's help!

5 minutes ago, *Chazz said:

have heard of screen, you can basically save terminal screens as files almost and the then re-access(if my understanding is correct).

Not as a file, but you can re connect later on.

Id use tmux as it lets you split your terminal

Ok thanks for your suggestion. I will certainly have a look into it. 

Now if I close the terminal and I am unable to get back in, can is there a way to close the server without restarting the computer? Similar to task manager in windows?

24 minutes ago, *Chazz said:

Ok thanks for your suggestion. I will certainly have a look into it. 

Now if I close the terminal and I am unable to get back in, can is there a way to close the server without restarting the computer? Similar to task manager in windows?

I use Tmux to create bash threads that remain even after I leave the terminal or SSH session. Use the command  tmux new -s minecraft to make a tmux session called minecraft. Start the server then use CTRL+B then D to exit the session and leave that terminal running. to reconnect use the command tmux attach -t minecraft

Yours faithfully

Wow! Thanks so much for that all of that detail. I am attempting to install the program but now I having issues with connecting to my linux computer via putty. I am going to make another thread about it.