Buying a GTX 770

So a year ago I built a system and the specs still hold strong. It is a year later and I am making some major upgrades. I want to get a GTX 770 since I prefer green team due to the quality of production and the actual technology that comes along with their GPU's. So for all the dudes rooting for red. I really don't care about the 280x, I'm not gonna buy AMD. The real question I want to ask you guys is..

Which after market 770 should I get?
I was looking at this one for it's amazing stock clocks and awesome aesthetics. If any of you beauty builders haven't seen it I highly suggest looking at it.

I game at 1080p and only on a single screen with a other screen as a facebook/battlelog/LinusCatTips display.

Please tell me which 770 you would buy and why. Also if you think I should get a 4gb card then please clarify why I need 4gb's of vRAM

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

just a question, have you ever ownded a AMD GPU? about your question, no need for 4 gigs VRAM if youre only playing 1080p.... id go with an ASUS card, never had a galaxy card before...

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

just a question, have you ever ownded a AMD GPU? about your question, no need for 4 gigs VRAM if youre only playing 1080p.... id go with an ASUS card, never had a galaxy card before...

I've not come across anything bad about Galaxy (or no more than the other reference makers).

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I have one thing to say and its the truth

3pm2ky.jpg

honestly have you ever owned or seen the benchmarks for AMD cards they are pretty damn good or even beat the "green team" and I know I am being hypocritical because of my nvidia gpu's but my last ones were AMD and my next will probably be AMD anyway if you want a 770 really get an asus or MSI card with twin frozr or DCU II

So a year ago I built a system and the specs still hold strong. It is a year later and I am making some major upgrades. I want to get a GTX 770 since I prefer green team due to the quality of production and the actual technology that comes along with their GPU's. So for all the dudes rooting for red. I really don't care about the 280x, I'm not gonna buy AMD. The real question I want to ask you guys is..

Which after market 770 should I get?

I was looking at this one for it's amazing stock clocks and awesome aesthetics. If any of you beauty builders haven't seen it I highly suggest looking at it.

I game at 1080p and only on a single screen with a other screen as a facebook/battlelog/LinusCatTips display.

Please tell me which 770 you would buy and why. Also if you think I should get a 4gb card then please clarify why I need 4gb's of vRAM

Get an MSI LIGHTNING. It's pretty much the best GTX 770. Or the EVGA Classified. Still, Galaxy makes amazing cards. I have a Gigabyte Windforce X3, and it's nice, but there is no backplate.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Buy the Galaxy card

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

I've not come across anything bad about Galaxy (or no more than the other reference makers).

I have one thing to say and its the truth

3pm2ky.jpg

honestly have you ever owned or seen the benchmarks for AMD cards they are pretty damn good or even beat the "green team" and I know I am being hypocritical because of my nvidia gpu's but my last ones were AMD and my next will probably be AMD anyway if you want a 770 really get an asus or MSI card with twin frozr or DCU II

I even stressed about how I will not buy AMD, yet the fanboy's from red team insist I buy AMD. Listen, I'm not a fanboy of either. I seriously considered buying a 280x over the 770 since it's basically on par and 100 bucks less. But I prefer the technology that comes with nVidia more than that of AMD. AMD is budget gaming brand. High performance at lower prices than their competitor. However they use lower quality parts and are more focused on benchmarks than actual user experience. Ever been to a cheap Chinese take-out? How do you think they afford to give you 2 pounds of chicken for 6 bucks? The reason is because they don't use the same quality ingredients/parts as a higher tier seller.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0Ghz GPU: EVGA 660 SC - Awaiting Gigabyte 770 HOF MOBO: Asus p8z77-V Pro PSU: Corsair CX600 - Awaiting Corsair RM850 Storage: 750GB Seagate SSHD + 500GB HDD - Awaiting 250GB Samsung 840 EVO RAM:  16GB ( 4x4GB ) Crucial BallistiX Sports - Awaiting Crucial BallistiX Tracer 16GB Kit Case: NZXT Phantom - Awaiting Undecided Upgrade CPU Cooler: NZXT Havik 140

Get an MSI LIGHTNING. It's pretty much the best GTX 770. Or the EVGA Classified. Still, Galaxy makes amazing cards. I have a Gigabyte Windforce X3, and it's nice, but there is no backplate.

Why do you really need a backplate? Besides aethetics? The 770 HOF has a white PCB which looks pretty damn sexy

Why do you really need a backplate? Besides aethetics? The 770 HOF has a white PCB which looks pretty damn sexy

It also gives the card more structural rigidity and in some cases, improves temps.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I even stressed about how I will not buy AMD, yet the fanboy's from red team insist I buy AMD. Listen, I'm not a fanboy of either. I seriously considered buying a 280x over the 770 since it's basically on par and 100 bucks less. But I prefer the technology that comes with nVidia more than that of AMD. AMD is budget gaming brand. High performance at lower prices than their competitor. However they use lower quality parts and are more focused on benchmarks than actual user experience. Ever been to a cheap Chinese take-out? How do you think they afford to give you 2 pounds of chicken for 6 bucks? The reason is because they don't use the same quality ingredients/parts as a higher tier seller.

loling hard... well yeah... expensive stuff is always the best. go for it man. always.

Buying a 770 now is a really bad idea, a 4GB R9 290 will cost the same as a 4GB 770 and will perform like a GTX 780.
Prices on the 770 & 780 WILL come down, right now is the worst time to buy a 780 or a 770, wait for the price drops.

2GB of VRAM is NOT enough for 1080p in BF4 or even Bioshock Infinite, those are current titles, next-gen titles will require even more video memory.
A 2GB card will not even last you a year before games start to experience lag spikes due to running out of memory.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64476-hardocp-r9-280x-provides-a-better-gaming-experience-than-gtx-770-in-bf4/
http://youtu.be/_sl__2PEHRI?t=22m40s

Buying a 770 now is a really bad idea, a 4GB R9 290 will cost the same as a 4GB 770 and will perform like a GTX 780.

Prices on the 770 & 780 WILL come down, right now is the worst time to buy a 780 or a 770, wait for the price drops.

2GB of VRAM is NOT enough for 1080p in BF4 or even Bioshock Infinite, those are current titles, next-gen titles will require even more video memory.

A 2GB card will not even last you a year before games start to experience lag spikes due to running out of memory.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/64476-hardocp-r9-280x-provides-a-better-gaming-experience-than-gtx-770-in-bf4/

http://youtu.be/_sl__2PEHRI?t=22m40s

Are you freaking kidding me dude? Didn't you like read anything that I said? Like really?

I bought a GTX770 but let me say that if I lived in the US where the 7970Ghz/280x is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper, I would've bought one of those.

Both of them were $400 in my country so I went with the 770 only because its slightly newer tech.

I'm the one who overclocks.

CPU: i5 2500k w/CM Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO OC'd@4.2GHz RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB  MOBO: Intel Burrage DP67BG GPU: MSI GTX770 Twin Frozr 2GB HDD: 2x Seagate 2TB Barracuda PSU: Gigabyte ODIN 550W

@Linus Insight?

AMD doenst use cheaper stuff, price margins on NVIDIA are just much higher, they didnt have any competition from AMD, so buying NVIDIA now is just plain stupid, also, what features does NVIDIA have that AMD doesnt have that arent shadowplay wich isnt even out yet or G-SYNC.... amd has mantle , and as you said youre gonna play BF4 wich uses mantle

id suggest you wait and for prices to drops

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

already used 2.3gb playing far cry 3 in 1x 1080p monitor 

also since expensive thing is always the best, why don't you just go for the most expensive 770 or the most expensive titan... ?

I went with the Gigabyte GTX 770 2GB because it has great cooling and noise levels, and it was cheaper then most manufacturers when I bought it. 

About the 2/4GB, I'm using a 1080p monitor, with that resolution 2GB is enough in my experience. For higher resolution gaming the GTX 770 is not powerful enough anyway from what I've seen in benchmarks.

Are you freaking kidding me dude? Didn't you like read anything that I said? Like really?

Wow is that how you take advice ? I read everything you wrote, whatever man, I apologize for taking the time to respond to your thread, go ahead buy a 770 now and kick yourself next month when it's $100 cheaper.

That was nasty dude, you put down the person that gave you the most sound advice, gave you proof to back it up and skimmed all the bulls***.

I have a 2GB GTX 770, upgraded from a 3GB 580 and I do notice the things Tech is talking about, BF4 definitely lags on my 770 when the action gets going and doesn't do so on my 3GB 580.

I constantly run out of memory in Hitman, Bioshock Infinite and modded Skyrim.

The 770 is not worth it, save for a 780 and grab one when Nvidia slashes the prices or just get a 4GB GTX 760 then add another in SLI later on.

That was nasty dude, you put down the person that gave you the most sound advice, gave you proof to back it up and skimmed all the bulls***.

I have a 2GB GTX 770, upgraded from a 3GB 580 and I do notice the things Tech is talking about, BF4 definitely lags on my 770 when the action gets going and doesn't do so on my 3GB 580.

The 770 is not worth it, save for a 780 and grab one when Nvidia slashes the prices or just get a 4GB GTX 760 then add another in SLI later on.

Unless you're playing on a high resolution like 1440p I can understand why that's happening, but with 1080p I doubt the card is the only problem here. 

Battlefield 4 Beta wasn't well optimzed at all. I heared much reports that even with 780's the frames weren't good at all. It ran smooth (mostly 60FPS) with my GTX770 2GB after the second update.

About the other games, they seem fine here:

Bioshock: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-review/4

Hitman: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6994/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-review/6

Wow is that how you take advice ? I read everything you wrote, whatever man, I apologize for taking the time to respond to your thread, go ahead buy a 770 now and kick yourself next month when it's $100 cheaper.

AMD doenst use cheaper stuff, price margins on NVIDIA are just much higher, they didnt have any competition from AMD, so buying NVIDIA now is just plain stupid, also, what features does NVIDIA have that AMD doesnt have that arent shadowplay wich isnt even out yet or G-SYNC.... amd has mantle , and as you said youre gonna play BF4 wich uses mantle

id suggest you wait and for prices to drops

I exclusively asked that nobody try to convince me to buy AMD. Like twice. I'm buying my 770 in a month or two. I'm still on the fence whether to buy the EVGA 4gb version of just the HOF edition. That was the entire purpose of this post. Not a nVidia vs. AMD. Sorry if that sounded mean, but everybody is screaming AMD when I specifically stated I prefer the technology that comes with nVidia. Specifically Shield, Geforce Experience, PhysX, DirectX11, and soon ShadowPlay and G-Sync. 

Ok heres the deal 280x is better for the money literally 1-5 frame(s) behind and ahead 770 is good if you like high res the 280x is also pretty good but gets a tiny bit behind at crazy resolutions. The 4 gig 770 is also good at running a bunch of mods and with shadowplay record alot of gameplay, if i didnt have a 770 and needed a good card I would get the 280x for sure. But dont get me wrong I love my 770 and when shadowplay comes im going to use it so much but in all honesty the 280x is the way to go. EVGA Zotac and MSI are good with the 770, if your really set on this

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz

I exclusively asked that nobody try to convince me to buy AMD. Like twice. I'm buying my 770 in a month or two. I'm still on the fence whether to buy the EVGA 4gb version of just the HOF edition. That was the entire purpose of this post. Not a nVidia vs. AMD. Sorry if that sounded mean, but everybody is screaming AMD when I specifically stated I prefer the technology that comes with nVidia. Specifically Shield, Geforce Experience, PhysX, DirectX11, and soon ShadowPlay and G-Sync. 

3 of those features are irrelevant.

PRIMARY NVIDIA PC

("I'm a Fanboy of Everything")
| CPU - i5-4670K @ 4.8ghz | CPU Cooler - Antec Kühler H2O 620 | GPU(S) - BIOS MODDED Twin GTX 770 4gb (Gigabyte)-master (Zotac)-slave @ 1337/2000 (8000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming | PSU - Corsair TX850M | Ram - 8gb Gskill RipjawsX @ 1866Mhz | Monitor - Samsung 27" 550 1080p 75Hz | Keyboard - Razer Black-Widow Ultimate 2013 | Storage - 2x 1TB WD-Blacks' | Mouse - AzzA Mouse Would Say "SQUEEKSQUEEK"|

SECONDARY RADEON PC

| CPU - A10-6800K @ 4.6ghz | CPU Cooler - CM Hyper EVO 212 | GPU(S) Twin Radeon 270x 2gb @ 1115/1500 (6000 Effective) | Mobo - MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 | PSU - Logisys 750W | Ram - 8gb @ 1600mhz | Moniter - Acer 24'' 1080p 60Hz