Coolant Temp Probe for Motherboard

Just finished doing my first water cooling loop and it was tons of fun but very time consuming. Thanks everyone that helped me with my questions so far. While building the computer, I noticed that my motherboard comes with a port for an temp prob connection. My question is that if I get the temp probe to measure the coolant temp, can i use the motherboard (Asus Z170-AR) to control the fans based on that temperature rather than using the cpu temps. I have a watercooled GTX 1070 in the same loop and I planning on overclocking both to their limits.

Technically but the water is gonna run so cool that it will be pointless. Even with 2 cards, a CPU, vrm block,  south bridge and ram blocks, the hottest I've got my coolant is 40c. Never seen it get lower then 35c with all the fans and pump maxed out. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Technically but the water is gonna run so cool that it will be pointless. Even with 2 cards, a CPU, vrm block,  south bridge and ram blocks, the hottest I've got my coolant is 40c. Never seen it get lower then 35c with all the fans and pump maxed out. 

Thanks I figured as much. Trying to figure out fan curves for the loop and how fast to run the pump. Given that I have two 360s cooling a cpu and gpu, I do not think I even have to increase the fan speeds that much unless it is a very high overclock. 

I'd run everything at the lowest. My fans can only go to 40 so I keep the pump there. Can't hear a thing. Aside from my psu. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, SmashinMachine said:

yes You can control the fans based on water temperature in bios. You have to sen the Q-Fan Source in Bios to "T_Sensor" .

Or you can use the Fan Xpert.Screenshot_28.jpg

Question is, is it worth it going the set it at one speed and forget it work better. 

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

I'd run everything at the lowest. My fans can only go to 40 so I keep the pump there. Can't hear a thing. Aside from my psu. 

Do you mean that the lowest duty cycle you can set your fans is 40?

4 minutes ago, dmoney1942 said:

Do you mean that the lowest duty cycle you can set your fans is 40?

Correct. I run noctuas. They will stop any lower then that. So my asus software stops at 40 and 20 on the pump. 

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Correct. I run noctuas. They will stop any lower then that. So my asus software stops at 40 and 20 on the pump. 

Mine is 50. So i might set the pump that way as well

Just now, dmoney1942 said:

Question is, is it worth it going the set it at one speed and forget it work better. 

I think It is worth it. Because I don't have to think about it in Summer or in Winter.  The coolant Delta-T stays constant all the time if it is controlled.

Just now, SmashinMachine said:

I think It is worth it. Because I don't have to think about it in Summer or in Winter.  The coolant Delta-T stays constant all the time if it is controlled.

Question is where do I buy such an Item, I am from the US. Also where do I locate that within the loop. I thinking after the last water block.

You can locate them an the end of cooling process (after cooling the cpu and the gpu) There has the coolant highest temp. 

Or you can buy two sensors to control the fans by Delta-T

42 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

@Mick Naughty

It is not the point to get the lowest temps. You have to keep the delta-T(DT) at the lowest and stable.

The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water cooling, DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temperature and the water temperature on the outgoing side of the radiator. Room temperature vs. water temperature: that’s it. You can’t remove all the heat – no system is 100% efficient, nor can you go below ambient room temperature.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water and your CPU are at room temperature. When you boot the PC up, the chip gets hot very fast. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and some of the heat is removed. Not all of it can be removed. You have to know a lot of thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time it reaches a balance: an equilibrium. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized and temperatures will not change.

If you change the room temperature, the load on the loop or your fan speed,  the loop needs to readjust. This is when we like to measure our cooling ability – usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water will get cooler.

Water temperatures in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. There is only a 2-3°C maximum difference between the radiator out temperature and the CPU out temperature;  Remember, the water can’t remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way – it’s a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.

If your fans runs controlled by the Coolant temp than it is not pointless. It keeps your Loop stable.

If DT is under 10°C than its ok. I have 0°C DT @Idle and 5°C@gaming 8°C@stresstest.

12 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

You can locate them an the end of cooling process (after cooling the cpu and the gpu) There has the coolant highest temp. 

Or you can buy two sensors to control the fans by Delta-T

@Mick Naughty

It is not the point to get the lowest temps. You have to keep the delta-T(DT) at the lowest and stable.

The better your DT, the cooler your chips are. In water cooling, DT is simply the difference between the ambient air temperature and the water temperature on the outgoing side of the radiator. Room temperature vs. water temperature: that’s it. You can’t remove all the heat – no system is 100% efficient, nor can you go below ambient room temperature.

When you boot up a powered off, water-cooled PC, the water and your CPU are at room temperature. When you boot the PC up, the chip gets hot very fast. The water moves over the chip, it begins to remove heat, the heat goes to the radiator, and some of the heat is removed. Not all of it can be removed. You have to know a lot of thermodynamics theory deeply (more than me) to know exactly why. The water begins to warm up slowly, and in time it reaches a balance: an equilibrium. Heat is made and heat removed, the loop is stabilized and temperatures will not change.

If you change the room temperature, the load on the loop or your fan speed,  the loop needs to readjust. This is when we like to measure our cooling ability – usually 30 minutes at a stable load is long enough to begin to measure. If you increase your cooling capability, the water will get cooler.

Water temperatures in a stabilized loop, amazingly, are very similar anywhere in the loop. There is only a 2-3°C maximum difference between the radiator out temperature and the CPU out temperature;  Remember, the water can’t remove all the heat, some is transferred to the air. Your radiator size, efficiency and fans play a big part in this. Look at it this way – it’s a system built on many parts and within the laws of physics. Every part affects the other.

If your fans runs controlled by the Coolant temp than it is not pointless. It keeps your Loop stable.

If DT is under 10°C than its ok. I have 0°C DT @Idle and 5°C@gaming 8°C@stresstest.

So how would having the fans change based off something that's gonna sit at the same level?  Seems pointless to me. Can have the fans maxed out and the system is gonna run all the same. Temps can only go so low. 

6 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

So how would having the fans change based off something that's gonna sit at the same level?  Seems pointless to me. Can have the fans maxed out and the system is gonna run all the same. Temps can only go so low. 

I think you say that because you've more Radiators in your loop than needed... 

Wait for the summer, and you will see what I mean... 

Haha, he has two 360's with two blocks. I have one 360 and 280 with 6 blocks. 

@dmoney1942 toss the fans out of the case  :dry: 

joking aside.

@mick naughty

If you are fine with the Realtemps and these realtemps are stable  @ different ambient temperature with fixed fanspeed, then it is pointless how you said. But it seems so you wanted to generalize it. And i can't agree with you. 

1 minute ago, SmashinMachine said:

@dmoney1942 toss the fans out of the case  :dry: 

joking aside.

@mick naughty

If you are fine with the Realtemps and these realtemps are stable  @ different ambient temperature with fixed fanspeed, then it is pointless how you said. But it seems so you wanted to generalize it. And i can't agree with you. 

I kinda on both sides of the coin regarding this conversation. On one hand, keeping it at one speed for both fans and pump is the easier way and will work for most task. However when you are gaming or using your machine for high demand things the fan speed increasing with water temp seems best.

The fact that the gpu won't exceed 40c and 50c for the CPU, the water temp won't go past 36c with the fans and pump at 40%. Just doesn't make sense to have them go faster unless you want the fans to turn off when the water is at 30c or less and turn on after that. Which I can understand that. But if the fans are gonna stay on, it's pointless. 

20 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

The fact that the gpu won't exceed 40c and 50c for the CPU, the water temp won't go past 36c with the fans and pump at 40%. Just doesn't make sense to have them go faster unless you want the fans to turn off when the water is at 30c or less and turn on after that. Which I can understand that. But if the fans are gonna stay on, it's pointless. 

WHAAAAAAATTTTT O.o

Screenshot_29.jpg

First it was pointless for you to control the fans by coolant temp. Now you twist your words..... o.O 

Bad behaviour dude

10 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

WHAAAAAAATTTTT O.o

Screenshot_29.jpg

First it was pointless for you to control the fans by coolant temp. Now you twist your words..... o.O 

Bad behaviour dude

I didn't twist shit. Maybe your are understanding what I said. It's pointless. 

24 minutes ago, SmashinMachine said:

WHAAAAAAATTTTT O.o

Screenshot_29.jpg

Bad behaviour dude

I didn't twist shit. Maybe your arent understanding what I said. It's pointless. 

If more parts on the loop or one less rad, I would agree to do it. I'd even do it if I still ran two cards. It's what's most important anyway. But as it sits it's pointless. I didn't generalize anything. Based it solely off his rig. Which I've ran the same setup. 

To bring this thread to a close, I decided to have my 3 pwm fans on one rad run at 30% during normal task and have the other 3 non pwm fans on the other rad off. The second rad fans will not turn on till the processor is above 50C. I still tinkering with this but this is what I am planning.