Mavic Pro vs. GoPro Karma

teddy710

Trying to decide between the two. Prices don't matter too much to me. I am aware of basic differences like the controllers. I'm looking for more detailed a comparison and personal experiences. Thanks

I've watched several videos on both and ones comparing the two. Basically, it seems like there is no good reason to get the Karma over the Mavic Pro, other than changeable cameras.

I found iPhonedo's video comparing the two shows very clearly the differences between them. 

There's also the recent Karma recall, which doesn't exactly boost my confidence in the device. 

8 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

Trying to decide between the two. Prices don't matter too much to me. I am aware of basic differences like the controllers. I'm looking for more detailed a comparison and personal experiences. Thanks

The DJI drone has been well regarded by every comparison review I've seen so far.  Also, GoPro has recalled all their Karma drones.

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/09/gopro-karma-recalled-drones-losing-power-falling-sky/

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

you know... i kinda cant recommend a product that was recalled because it does this.

(the money shot is just past 2 minutes)

Well hands down the mavic. Not only is it smaller, better, and made by a company that knows what they're doing when it comes to multirotors, but it also doesn't fall out of the sky randomly. *cough*

ASU

get the phantom 4

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

get the phantom 4

Or the mavic which is smaller, cheaper, and arguably better. 

ASU

Its not even an argument, Get a Mavic. DJI is a trusted drone brand, and produces quality consumer AP rigs. Gopro... does not. the argument to get a P4 is kind of valid as well, but if you just want portability (which is really important) then i recommend the mavic

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Or the mavic which is smaller, cheaper, and arguably better. 

P4 has way better camera.

- Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

I would think that's subjective. I personally like the camera on the Mavic vs the P4, I think it has better colors.

ASU

with the current callback of the gopro's karma I would go for the magic pro, which I would prefer anyway since it's easier to take along.

6 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

that is something that can be argued about if you look at the price difference's. Just because it's better doesn't mean that it will perform better, besides that. if you go by the "rules" a phantom 4 isn't meant to be used by just a single person when you look at it, I mean something like the magic pro fits in a standard messenger bag or backpack, while the phantom requires a dedicated case for it if you want to travel with it.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

15 hours ago, Bsmith said:

with the current callback of the gopro's karma I would go for the magic pro, which I would prefer anyway since it's easier to take along.

that is something that can be argued about if you look at the price difference's. Just because it's better doesn't mean that it will perform better, besides that. if you go by the "rules" a phantom 4 isn't meant to be used by just a single person when you look at it, I mean something like the magic pro fits in a standard messenger bag or backpack, while the phantom requires a dedicated case for it if you want to travel with it.

Only one person can control the Phantom. The Phantom 4 is better in all aspects except size.

- Albert Einstein

If portablity is the key, I would prefer the Mavic. The sensor of the Mavic and the Phantom 4 is exactly the same. The only difference is the size of the lense, the bigger the lense the more light can enter the sensor. So that is an advantage.

You might consider supporting my affiliate program: http://click.dji.com/AFrHjxwdtsNPS8gOANw?pm=link

22 hours ago, LittleCarrot said:

Only one person can control the Phantom.

The Phantom 4 is better in all aspects except size.

Yes. This is true, only the inspire can have a pilot and a cameraman

I would argue otherwise. If you've watched reviews and side by side comparisons, I would argue that the mavic is better than the phantom 4. Imo, the video from the mavic looks better than the p4 even though it has a narrower FOV. The controller is better because of its smaller form factor and has a better phone holding solution. On top of all this, the whole unit is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. Oh did I mention you can fit it in a large pocket on your person? I'd love to see someone do that with a phantom. 

ASU