Riddle.

LucasDerpYT

If you have a PC with 8GB RAM and a Quad Core CPU running 1155 socket, if you replace the CPU and RAM and install a new HDD, GPU, and case, is it the same computer? 

Or if you take that and put it in a new case, is it a new computer with a fresh install of windows? 

I don't really understand what you are trying to say... but you can't just put any cpu and ram into any motherboard. You need to make sure that they are compatible. And windows just doesn't install its self... you need to do it.

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I don't really understand what you are trying to say... but you can't just put any cpu and ram into any motherboard. You need to make sure that they are compatible. And windows just doesn't install its self... you need to do it.

Im not an idiot. 

If >50% of parts are new, it is a new computer using some old parts.

If <50% of parts are new, it is the same computer with upgraded parts.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

If >50% of parts are new, it is a new computer using some old parts.

If <50% of parts are now, it is the same computer with upgraded parts.

That is arbitrary

I would say naw because thats jsut using old parts. it could be considered a version 2

2 minutes ago, anybodykek said:

That is arbitrary

That is logic.

If a cup is more than 50% empty, then it has more air than water. Simple.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

typically if you replace the mobo microsoft considers it a new pc, anything short of that is usually considered fine. mac will go wtf new hardware....voodoo?  and linux doesn't give a crap, it loves hardware

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That is logic.

If a cup is more than 50% empty, then it has more air than water. Simple.

But a cup can never be less than 100% full unless it is in a vacuum...

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

No, it's not the same. If it was the same, that would mean that nothing has changed. 

It would still remain your PC though.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Theseus' Paradox isn't a riddle since there is no truly correct answer to the problem.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 hours ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

It's a philosophical question.

When all the components of an object get replaced over time, will it still be the same object? Your cells die and reproduce. When given enough time, you will have no cells left from when you were a newborn. Are you still you?

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

19 hours ago, Gale said:

It's a philosophical question.

When all the components of an object get replaced over time, will it still be the same object? Your cells die and reproduce. When given enough time, you will have no cells left from when you were a newborn. Are you still you?

Your brain kills cells and keeps what Ican  only guess like a cache.

When it kills a cell it leaves a cache where it was sothat when a new cell comes, it knows what to do. Like boot priority.

It might seem like a stupid thing to say. But like when it kills cells in itself, there has to be a way that you remember everything, know to breathe, know where you are and who that is over there. And not get overwhelmed.

Or is it something liek a cloud. People have accurate memories of past lives, past bodies.