revieving dead cpu?

so i recently blew up my i5 4690k and had to buy a g3258 since it was the only thing i could afford and needed my pc back up and running.

my questions is, is there a way of reveiving a dead cpu like there is with graphics card, and i know its not 100% gonna work im just in need of a quad core again an am willing to try anything.

why don't you just RMA it?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

why don't you just RMA it?

i dont know if i can as i bought it second hand and have had it a while

No. if it's burned out, its burned out and there's nothing you can do.

Just now, joe_p231 said:

i dont know if i can as i bought it second hand and have had it a while

oh, ok.

how did it die?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

my questions is, is there a way of reveiving a dead cpu like there is with graphics card, and i know its not 100% gonna work im just in need of a quad core again an am willing to try anything.

Nope.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Linus has a video on reviving PCBs. He also said that you shouldn't refer to the video as factual information so follow it at your own risk (he put it in an oven).

1 minute ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

Linus has a video on reviving PCBs. He also said that you shouldn't refer to the video as factual information so follow it at your own risk (he put it in an oven).

i am aware of the video and what he did i just dodnt know if it could apply to a cpu

4 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

oh, ok.

how did it die?

honestly not sure on how it died, went to put a cable through a hole didnt even touch the case as far as im aware and the pc turned off and now the cpu doesnt work 

1 minute ago, joe_p231 said:

i am aware of the video and what he did i just dodnt know if it could apply to a cpu

you can't. What was your use case when it died? Clock speed, voltage ect?

1 minute ago, joe_p231 said:

honestly not sure on how it died, went to put a cable through a hole didnt even touch the case as far as im aware and the pc turned off and now the cpu doesnt work 

oh ok

well, if it's truly dead, you could always try baking it. Probably won't do anything, but you can't kill a dead CPU anymore, right?

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

you can't. What was your use case when it died? Clock speed, voltage ect?

i dont quite get what you mean but i think it died from me doing this.  honestly not sure on how it died, went to put a cable through a hole didnt even touch the case as far as im aware and the pc turned off and now the cpu doesnt work 

3 minutes ago, joe_p231 said:

i dont quite get what you mean but i think it died from me doing this.  honestly not sure on how it died, went to put a cable through a hole didnt even touch the case as far as im aware and the pc turned off and now the cpu doesnt work 

Through what hole? Motherboards usually protect the CPU fairly well, unless you short it directly. Are you sure it's even dead?

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

oh ok

well, if it's truly dead, you could always try baking it. Probably won't do anything, but you can't kill a dead CPU anymore, right?

1 hour ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

With gpus it works because the gpu die is a bga chip soldered onto a pcb and heating reflows the solder connecting the chip onto the pcb, with a cpu there is no solder, baking it would destroy it ever more then it already is, it would be the same as trying to repair the actual gpu die whih is impossible.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

3 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

With gpus it works because the gpu die is a bga chip soldered onto a pcb and heating reflows the solder connecting the chip onto the pcb, with a cpu there is no solder, baking it would destroy it ever more then it already is, it would be the same as trying to repair the actual gpu die whih is impossible.

It was kind of a joke :(