About IPV6

Morgiee

Hi all so I watched a video from Linus Tech Tips about IPV6 and sounds promising as I'm currently running from IPV4 and I believe partially IPV6 (not 100% sure) what is the biggest gains from IPV6 and is it possible for my Windows 10 Desktop to run IPV6 only? It seems that any of me internet settings go though IPV4.  Please also find attached a screenshot of my router settings that has support for IPV6 and its current settings.  Sorry for my ignorance on this haha

Thanks

ipv6 settings.jpg

IPv6 is an addressing schema. It doesn't do anything more than allow more devices on a network (or in this case, the internet). There would be no benefit being IPv6 only and could limit your internet access since most of the world still talks using IPv4 addresses.

49 minutes ago, Morgiee said:

Hi all so I watched a video from Linus Tech Tips about IPV6 and sounds promising as I'm currently running from IPV4 and I believe partially IPV6 (not 100% sure) what is the biggest gains from IPV6 and is it possible for my Windows 10 Desktop to run IPV6 only? It seems that any of me internet settings go though IPV4.  Please also find attached a screenshot of my router settings that has support for IPV6 and its current settings.  Sorry for my ignorance on this haha

Thanks

It is basically a redo of modern ipv4 with a larger address space. everything that is tacked onto ipv4 (like ipsec) is now part of the protocol. few other things like broadcast addresses don't exist, just multi cast and unicast. support for larger MTU's. 

18 hours ago, Morgiee said:

Thanks

ipv6 settings.jpg

IPv6 was released 20 years ago to fix the issues IPv4 had. Mainly the running out of IP addresses. While most new routers and all MS OS's since like Windows 2000 supported IPv6 the internet still is working on it. I think Comcast stated that 70% of traffic on their network is now IPv6. See not all ISP's have IPv6 set up. 

You will need to check your ISP on if they have an IPv6 support. Like I said Comcast offers dual stack. They give me an IPv4 and IPv6 addresses. The big issue is Ive seen that ISP's can deploy IPv6 in a few way. I had a bitch of a time setting up IPv6 to work in DDWRT. Its not going to be plug and play. If your ISP has IPv6 then they should have setup instructions. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Fun fact: there are actually multiple ways to run a computer in a v6-only environment, and still have access to V4-only-sites.

The easiest one to setup of is a NAT64, which basically means that your DNS-Server has to lie to the clients a bit, by synthesizing AAAA-DNS-records for domains without v6 connectivity, by prepending the well know prefix to the encoded v4 address, and replying with that as a AAAA-record.

Then your router need to NAT connections to the well know prefix the on if it's v4 addresses, so you'll still need v4-connectivity from the upstream.

On a openbsd router you can use "pass in quick on $lan_if inet6 from any to 64:ff9b::/96 af-to inet from (egress:0) keep state rtable 0" and append dns64-prefix: 64:FF9B::/96 to your unbound config. 

This is all defined in RFC 6052, 6146 and 6147.

And just to add some context, Verizon Fios and DSL customers can't get IPv6 addresses at all. What Verizon did was convert their entire wireless business to IPv6, and now has so many spare IPv4 addresses they are hoarding that they aren't moving at all towards IPv6. I have a business class FIOS connection with 5 static IP addresses, for which I pay them a lot of money, and they still can't give me IPv6. Not that I need it with static IPv4, but hopefully the fact that a large ISP in the US isn't doing IPv6 at all can tell you something about how important IPv6 is for normal internet use.

To clarify that above statement, I'm not saying IPv6 isn't important. It is vitally important - we needed this a decade ago. I am mad that I can't get IPv6 addresses because it's the future.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

6 hours ago, brwainer said:

And just to add some context, Verizon Fios and DSL customers can't get IPv6 addresses at all. What Verizon did was convert their entire wireless business to IPv6, and now has so many spare IPv4 addresses they are hoarding that they aren't moving at all towards IPv6. I have a business class FIOS connection with 5 static IP addresses, for which I pay them a lot of money, and they still can't give me IPv6. Not that I need it with static IPv4, but hopefully the fact that a large ISP in the US isn't doing IPv6 at all can tell you something about how important IPv6 is for normal internet use.

To clarify that above statement, I'm not saying IPv6 isn't important. It is vitally important - we needed this a decade ago. I am mad that I can't get IPv6 addresses because it's the future.

Its because Verizon doesnt give 2 shits about its wired broadband business. I think AT&T is the same way. They havent deployed IPv6. I think in some areas they went carrier grade NAT. Its going to take time for these companies to get in gear. Im surprised Comcast had the foresight to upgrade their network. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.