Is uTorrent safe?

Yes I know it may seem like a dumb question, but is it?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

The software its self is safe, but be careful what you torrent.

1 minute ago, QuantumBit said:

Yes I know it may seem like a dumb question, but is it?

when i used it the last time 6 years ago every 3rd file or so contained a virus, so i would be careful with that. I would never use Torrenting software

Download the old version without all the ads and bloat.

Nothing is safe, if used unsafely. Keep that in mind.

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Megah3rtz said:

it depends on what you download but the software itself is okay. 

If I want do download a movie, because most website downloading movies are sketchy, and they usually have a paid "fast" download, like 13 minutes, then they have a free "slow" download, which is like hours

If its not safe to use uTorrent for that, any recommended safe websites to download movies?

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Just now, QuantumBit said:

If I want do download a movie, because most website downloading movies are sketchy, and they usually have a paid "fast" download, like 13 minutes, then they have a free "slow" download, which is like hours

If its not safe to use uTorrent for that, any recommended safe websites to download movies?

google a bit, I don't think I can endorse pirating without getting banned. 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Just now, QuantumBit said:

No. Unless you're buying them.

it is not allowed to discuss that on this forum i'm afraid. we can broadly discuss torrenting legal files, but pirating is not allowed.

2 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

We won't help with pirating copyrighted material (which the vast, vast majority of movies are), it goes against forum rules. 

uTorrent is safe. What you choose to download is for you to find out. 

Just now, 3DGamerOnSteam said:

No. Unless you're buying them.

Oh. 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Let's stop right here.

We discuss piracy and some other illegalities here but we do not provide information or links to information on how to do such things.

ITunes. Netflix/Hulu fro streaming. Asking for piracy help is a quick way of getting banned. Not saying that's what youre asking, but it certainly seems that way...

When in doubt, re-format.

I use transmission. it's open source, multi-platform. It has a nice GUI and accompanying web interface if you have a seed box

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

like others said, pirating is bad, don't do it. But if you're asking because a modpack or something is torrent download only, you know legal stuff, utorrent is ok. all the illegal things are virus

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

11 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

To me it sounds like you are pirating a movie :\

If you legally buy movies then you wont need to download and use Utorrent. 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

1 minute ago, nuttytechy said:

To me it sounds like you are pirating a movie :\

If you legally buy movies then you wont need to download and use Utorrent. 

I'm not, but when I wanted to one time it said "Long download" blah blah and there was no point in doing that

Yea I don't think I'm going to use uTorrent, it seems pretty risky, and I think I'm better of paying than risking my computer to get a virus

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

I'm not, but when I wanted to one time it said "Long download" blah blah and there was no point in doing that

Yea I don't think I'm going to use uTorrent, it seems pretty risky, and I think I'm better of paying than risking my computer to get a virus

Fair enough :) just keep on the right side of the law lol 

A menace to the scammer world. They hate me wasting their time when they are conning the innocent and giving to the idiots. 

Just now, nuttytechy said:

Fair enough :) just keep on the right side of the law lol 

Heh will do!

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

27 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

when i used it the last time 6 years ago every 3rd file or so contained a virus, so i would be careful with that. I would never use Torrenting software

yeah but, you probably downloaded a virus from a torrent :|

The geek himself.

Oh sorry didn't know asking about pirating links was bannable

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Thanks for reminding me, I was about to start my torrenting D/L soon.

Use an old computer and not your current computer you use for work, or school.

Use a sandbox program, or a VM. I will be using Linux on my old computer.

Thanks!

There is a fine line here about torrenting. Torrenting itself is legal, its the content you need to be aware of.

I'm sure someone clicked the report button on you. Lots of "R"s out there.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

Thanks for reminding me, I was about to start my torrenting D/L soon.

Use an old computer and not your current computer you use for work, or school.

Use a sandbox program, or a VM. I will be using Linux on my old computer.

Thanks!

There is a fine line here about torrenting. Torrenting itself is legal, its the content you need to be aware of.

I'm sure someone clicked the report button on you. Lots of "R"s out there.

What are "R"s?

uTorrent apparently has malicious advertisements. So I wouldn't trust it, really, you can use any bittorrent client, Qbittorrent is a good alternative if you want to stay free.  If you have the pro version of uTorrent I think it's worth it and is safe.  

Just make sure you don't mistake the safety of uTorrent or qBittorrent for safety for what you download.  What you download is your own business, and it could be malicious.  Rule of thumb, torrent legally, if you don't then make sure you are cautious of what you download.