internet provider lie?

blackdaimon

hey guys! so here's my problem.

i currently have a vdsl 30 Mbps 2.5Mbps download/upload getting on average 27mbps/2.2mbps which for me was perfect.(yeah i know in my country we're forced to pay more for upload) anyway....

a few weeks ago my connection began to be unstable meaning that from 27 it would plummet down to 6/10/15 mbps at random for no particular reason everytime i realised that something was going on, i closed every wireless connection and anything else that was connected to internet in order to check what the problem was... and the problem always seemed to be simply my network connection. I could not find any major data traffics that could potentialy cause any problem in such scale (note that whenever i reset my modem/rooter (however that thing is called :P) the problem always seems to fix its self.

After talking with my provider they told me that my connection was fine and that everytime i had the problem was due to extreme data traffic repeating that it could be wireless traffic from a phone etc. (even after i made it clear to them that EVERYTHING (except my main pc whitch is connected via ethernet) was closed. Even the wireless button of my router was closed.

so my question is..are they lying?(since their attitude was a bit bad avoiding every responsibility) do any of you guys know what could be wrong? is there anyway to track if there's any program, hell even virus/malware? , that could be responsible for my connections behaviour?

thank you very much in advance!

open your task manager, and see if your computer doesn't do any background transfer like windows update. Network adapter on your task manager should show under 100kbps atleast.

6 minutes ago, blackdaimon said:

hey guys! so here's my problem.

i currently have a vdsl 30 Mbps 2.5Mbps download/upload getting on average 27mbps/2.2mbps which for me was perfect.(yeah i know in my country we're forced to pay more for upload) anyway....

a few weeks ago my connection began to be unstable meaning that from 27 it would plummet down to 6/10/15 mbps at random for no particular reason everytime i realised that something was going on, i closed every wireless connection and anything else that was connected to internet in order to check what the problem was... and the problem always seemed to be simply my network connection. I could not find any major data traffics that could potentialy cause any problem in such scale (note that whenever i reset my modem/rooter (however is that thing called :P) the problem always seems to fix its self.

After talking with my provider they told me that my connection was fine and that everytime i had the problem was due to extreme data traffic repeating that it could be wireless traffic from a phone etc. (even after i made it clear to them that EVERYTHING (except my main pc whitch is connected via ethernet) was closed. Even the wireless button of my router was closed.

so my question is.. do any of you guys know what could be wrong? is there anyway to track if there's any program, hell even virus/malware? , that could be responsible for my connections behaviour?

thank you very much in advance!

open your task manager, and see if your computer doesn't do any background transfer like windows update. Network adapter on your task manager should show under 100kbps atleast.

Win 10 is great at hogging all of your network resources without reason, see that maybe that isn't killing your network. That being said, your ISP isn't "lying" per sae. They just happen to be clueless and are reading from a script.

Also, if this is something that is happening sometimes, there is a good chance that your ISP's network is too busy, and there isn't really anything they can do without upgrading their infrastructure, which they wont do because they're greedy bastards.

When in doubt, re-format.

36 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

That being said, your ISP isn't "lying" per sae. They just happen to be clueless and are reading from a script.

Generally speaking, most ISPs will use language such as "UP TO 30 Mbit/s down" which absolves them of the responsibility of actually giving you the speed you're paying for. 

hey guys thank you for your replies!

im using windows 7 sorry, i forgot to mention that.

its just weird since the problems began a a few weeks ago and before that everything were so smooth.

the problem occurrd on regural basis so it  becomes extremely irritating.

so you're saying that if i dont see any data transfer on task manager there shouldnt be any transfer at all right?

is there any possibility that there could be data transfer without being visible on task manager?would i need another program to check that or something?

edit: i went there and replaced my equipment and for now my connection seems pretty stable, even my phone works better lel, so... *fingers crossed*

again thank you very much all for your replies :)