is my motherboard failing?

Go to solution Solved by Xanthe_2871,

Maybe it's the HDMI cable or the display, try testing a different HDMI cable and a different display. 

my PC will boot up but nothing will display except a black screen. If i hard reset it 3 times, then on the 4th time, it'll boot into windows. i removed my memory DIMMSs, leaving 1 in to see if either  was bad but the problem persisted. I then unplugged the HDMI cable from the GPU and put it in the mobo IO port to see if my 1070 was bad but problem still continues. I do hear the windows log in sound pop up through my headphones though.... any idea what this could be? 

MSI Z97 GAMING 5 MOBO     

MSI GTX 1070 Gaming

2x8GB Patriot Viper 2400 CL11

i7-4790

Windows 10  

Maybe it's the HDMI cable or the display, try testing a different HDMI cable and a different display. 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

10 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

i took the HDMI cable form my blu ray player and used that, it now boots up every time, thanks!