SSD or Ram Upgrade?

SSD or Ram Upgrade?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. SSD or Ram Upgrade?

• Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
    • 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram

Knowing the current hardware and usage would help so much with this decision

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

Knowing the current hardware and usage would help so much with this decision

Current Hardware is 6600K and 1080

Usage is that I have extra money and I wanna upgrade my pc

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

1 minute ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

So then the options listed are the current parts you are looking at upgrading from and not to right?

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

How about how much RAM you currently have and what HDD/SSD you're using? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, meenmeen1103 said:

So then the options listed are the current parts you are looking at upgrading from and not to right?

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

O right my bad

Now I have 2x4gb so I am just going to add in another 2x4gb for 16gb ram 

or

Now I have 1TB WD Blue + BX200 128GB

O right my bad

or

hm, that's a tough one... although, the options you listed (16 GB of RAM vs 500 GB SSD) aren't the same price, so I'm a little curious why that's the question.  I'd just do both :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

O right my bad

or

Ssd with 8gb of ram your most likely not going to bottleneck, most games dont even take advantage of 8gb of ram. Plus the 1080 has a ton of memory. So go SSD you will get load and performance benefits, adding 8gb more will Most likely give you none.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

If you already have a ssd boot drive I would mean towards ram, for some more multi tasking and slightly smoother gaming while your chrome buffers YouTube videos 

1 minute ago, Thinkfreely said:

Ssd with 8gb of ram your most likely not going to bottleneck, most games font even take advantage of 8gb of ram. Plus the 1080 has a ton of memory. So go SSD you will get load and performance benefits, adding 8gb more willost likely give you none.

He already has a bx200 boot drive, mass storage ssd doesn't give huge benefits. I'd think 16 gigs of ram would be a little more beneficial . 

SSD if you dont already have one, or ram if you do daily/weekly photo or video editing in premiere/lightroom.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

6 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Ssd with 8gb of ram your most likely not going to bottleneck, most games dont even take advantage of 8gb of ram. Plus the 1080 has a ton of memory. So go SSD you will get load and performance benefits, adding 8gb more will Most likely give you none.

3 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

SSD if you dont already have one, or ram if you do daily/weekly photo or video editing in premiere/lightroom.

6 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

If you already have a ssd boot drive I would mean towards ram, for some more multi tasking and slightly smoother gaming while your chrome buffers YouTube videos 

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

SSD. You'll notice the loading performance right away. Unless you already have an SSD.

RAM only if you're constantly running out and that's after closing your 500 Chrome tabs (assuming you use Chrome and have 500 tabs)

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

11 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

I mean I am running a little low on ram here

90b1ce1246c90261966ea2070b8025b1.png

I mean I am running a little low on ram here

90b1ce1246c90261966ea2070b8025b1.png

Theres no need for those 3 email tabs and 5 amazon tabs...

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Theres no need for those 3 email tabs and 5 amazon tabs...

You expect me to close every one of those little skinny tabs? Also I have personal email work email and school email lol

7 minutes ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

You expect me to close every one of those little skinny tabs? Also I have personal email work email and school email lol

I do too and it looks like this 

http://imgur.com/O4weea7

Get ram man. A mass storage ssd will shave a second or two off load times, but more ram will smooth things out all around 

Tough call.. wait until black Friday and get both? Lol.... I just can't hardly build a system without an SSD now days though so I would personally probably pick that up first, even though you are using a lot of resources with all those "my little pony" wikipedia tabs open.