CPU and PCIE Lanes

Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with my computer not detecting my GPU. I have tried everything under the sun, and was just wondering if a faulty CPU could cause the PCIE lanes to not recognize any graphics cards. I have an Intel i5 6600K, with an MSI Z170 Krait 3X mobo, and have tested a GTX 560 and 970. I have used two different PSUs, one is 650 watts and the other 1000 watts. I have even sent back the mobo a few times thinking it was a faulty mobo, but I am starting to believe the CPU is at fault, due to it being the only component that I haven't changed out. The GPUs are not being recognized in the BIOS under the Hardware monitoring tab in the BIOS. This is a brand new build, and I made sure that I used the 6+2 cables provided by both power supplys running on the 12 volt rails, so I am certain it isn't a power related issue because the fans on both GPUs spin. 

Just kidding, it's possible it could be the CPU, try replacing it and see if the GPU works.

The geek himself.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

Did you press the power button?

Yes, I did press the power button. It can display everything on a monitor if I use the onboard graphics, the GPU doesn't show up in device manager. I have uninstalled drivers, disabled the iGPU in BIOS, made the PCIE Slots detect video first before the iGPU. 

Thanks for your response,

Mitch 

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Just kidding, it's possible it could be the CPU, try replacing it and see if the GPU works.

Yeah, I am most likely going to do that as soon as possible. I was just curious if the CPU's PCIE controller or whatever could actually cause a problem like this, or if it is a common problem with other people.

Thanks,

Mitch

Just now, mitchyams said:

Yes, I did press the power button. It can display everything on a monitor if I use the onboard graphics, the GPU doesn't show up in device manager. I have uninstalled drivers, disabled the iGPU in BIOS, made the PCIE Slots detect video first before the iGPU. 

Thanks for your response,

Mitch 

That was a joke, I would try replacing the CPU with a different LGA1151 CPU, and see if it performs properly.

The geek himself.

Are you using the top PCIe slot on your motherboard?

Have you connected the monitor directly to the GPU and not to the motherboard itself?

When in doubt, re-format.

Just now, Dawson Wehage said:

That was a joke, I would try replacing the CPU with a different LGA1151 CPU, and see if it performs properly.

Alrite, will do!

Just now, pwn_intended said:

Are you using the top PCIe slot on your motherboard?

Have you connected the monitor directly to the GPU and not to the motherboard itself?

Yea, I tried out all PCIE slots and nothing. I have connected the monitor to the gpu and still nothing.

Thanks,

Mitch

use onboard

disable secure boot and enable csm

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

use onboard

disable secure boot and enable csm

Yeah, tried that already, no luck. 

Thanks, 

Mitch

4 minutes ago, mitchyams said:

Yeah, tried that already, no luck. 

Thanks, 

Mitch

U sure?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list