6700k vs 5820k which should I get

So I'm looking to upgrade my desktop from an i5 6600k. Trying to make it a bit more suited for productivity , the lines of streaming, encoding , and light video editing . Other than the marginal fps gain from the 6700k are there any other benefits , or should I get a 5820k?

There really isn't much difference between the 6600K and 6700K. if you are looking for major performance improvements, you wont find them going from 6600K → 6700K

Performance will come with something like a 6900K or even a 6800K will give you real gains, however, they will require you to switch chipsets (so will the 5820K)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

There really isn't much difference between the 6600K and 6700K. if you are looking for major performance improvements, you wont find them going from 6600K → 6700K

Performance will come with something like a 6900K or even a 6800K will give you real gains, however, they will require you to switch chipsets (so will the 5820K)

Will right now my only issue with my system is when I'm trying to stream and record game play. I'm not looking for a boost in gaming performance just something that can handle the encoding alongside gaming . 

The 6700k is better than the 5820k  in pretty much everything, except certain rendering programs where it is a few minutes slower.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The 6700k is better than the 5820k  in pretty much everything, except certain rendering programs where it is a few minutes slower.

Nothing I've looked at or read suggested this. Most cases it's cited that the 6700k only pulls ahead in single core tasks , and on certain titles . 

2 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

Nothing I've looked at or read suggested this. Most cases it's cited that the 6700k only pulls ahead in single core tasks , and on certain titles . 

6800k is the newer x99 CPU, the 5820k is a generation old and even worse.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Until you start finding the overclock wall on the 6800K is much lower than the 5820K's.

Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock . XEON X5650 4.49ghz

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Did we watch the same video? The 6700k only edges out 1 test in Adobe , other than that for most work load tasks the 6800k settings by like an average of 20%. 

6 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

Until you start finding the overclock wall on the 6800K is much lower than the 5820K's.

What do you think with the price difference between the 6700k and 5820k only being 20$?

1 minute ago, Juggern0ttt said:

What do you think with the price difference between the 6700k and 5820k only being 20$?

It's a much larger difference in the UK, see my thread here in the same section "6800K vs 5820K"

I save 80 by going 5820K and i can clock it much much further without having to do that crappy removal of the IHS and ruining the CPU.

Just now, Soundsystem90 said:

It's a much larger difference in the UK, see my thread here in the same section "6800K vs 5820K"

I save 80 by going 5820K and i can clock it much much further without having to do that crappy removal of the IHS and ruining the CPU.

Ok my situation is either upgrading to the 6700k and a z170 mobo, or a 5820k and a x99. The x99 setup would only cost me about 30$ more. is it worth it to go ahead and get the x99 chipsets, or just stock with a 6700?

Just now, Juggern0ttt said:

Ok my situation is either upgrading to the 6700k and a z170 mobo, or a 5820k and a x99. The x99 setup would only cost me about 30$ more. is it worth it to go ahead and get the x99 chipsets, or just stock with a 6700?

I'm moving from my 6 core x58 Xeon PC to X99 too, i also gave the Skylake build some thought, my cost is only 20 more too if i go X99, to me those extra cores are worth it as i do streaming and some video work also.

Skylake is purely a mainstream gaming general purpose platform.

3 minutes ago, Soundsystem90 said:

I'm moving from my 6 core x58 Xeon PC to X99 too, i also gave the Skylake build some thought, my cost is only 20 more too if i go X99, to me those extra cores are worth it as i do streaming and some video work also.

Skylake is purely a mainstream gaming general purpose platform.

In looking into getting into streaming and recording as well, hence the upgrade . The 6600k is a solid chip for just gaming but as soon as a start streaming and recording it absolutely tanks and goes belly up. 

11 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

You'll see massive FPS gains if you're running SLI GTX 1070 or even a single GTX 1080, it's quite a lot better than the 6600K if you look at bottlenecking. 

I'm running a titan black , the 6600k is plenty to push it. My problem is coming on with streaming and recording . 

4 hours ago, Jorgen297 said:

In that case the 6700k is a big step up. Also I think you can use iGPU to record with quicksync 

My 6600K isn't creating a bottleneck for my gpu , it's just bogging down my stream. I'm upgrading either way in hopes that I won't need to use the quick sync work around and it'll run fine regularly . I'm just wondering if it's worth it to jump to the 5820k of its only going to cost me about 30$ extra ? 

9 minutes ago, Jorgen297 said:

I think it's worth it because the 5820k got some pretty nice single core performance while having many cores. The average 6700K will just overclock 200-400 MHz higher. However the 5820k is hot as hell tho, so unless you already have some killer cooling setup, you need it, for overclocking at least. It will be future proof for years. 

Either way I'm planning on getting a aio 240 loop. Probably nzxt or ekg for the asthetic . So far that's 2 in favor of the 5820 and 1 questionable vote for the 6700. I'm going to leave it unresolved just to see if anyone else has any light to shed on the topic , but thanks for your feed back . 

i was in the same position as this as i was on z97 with a 4790k and i wanted to use it more for productivity and so on and yes it worked but another factor i needed was pcie lanes as i was running SLi at the time with an m.2 so i jumped to x99 and never looked back yes maybe i got the 5930k but i wanted extra lanes :)

and overclocking on haswell-e for me was pretty cool 4.5ghz @1.264v 24/7 stable since day 1 of purchase and just a note the guy above you said the 5820k is hot i dont believe that is true as when i was stability testing my cpu it never went higher than 75-80c while testing only and while gaming streaming and productivity tasks it never goes over 60-65c at any time of day and im using a corsair H110i GTX

i would make the dive for it if thats what you are looking for :)

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

1 minute ago, RxL said:

i was in the same position as this as i was on z97 with a 4790k and i wanted to use it more for productivity and so on and yes it worked but another factor i needed was pcie lanes as i was running SLi at the time with an m.2 so i jumped to x99 and never looked back yes maybe i got the 5930k but i wanted extra lanes :)

and overclocking on haswell-e for me was pretty cool 4.5ghz @1.264v 24/7 stable since day 1 of purchase and just a note the guy above you said the 5820k is hot i dont believe that is true as when i was stability testing my cpu it never went higher than 75-80c while testing only and while gaming streaming and productivity tasks it never goes over 60-65c at any time of day and im using a corsair H110i GTX

i would make the dive for it if thats what you are looking for :)

Yea I'm looking to get into more productivity tasks like streaming and encoding. And probably eventually some good editing assuming it's something I'll end up enjoying. 80c is a bit warm for a cpu for most people so I can see where he's coming from in that regard . Definitely leaning towards diving in the x99 now. 

3 minutes ago, Juggern0ttt said:

Yea I'm looking to get into more productivity tasks like streaming and encoding. And probably eventually some good editing assuming it's something I'll end up enjoying. 80c is a bit warm for a cpu for most people so I can see where he's coming from in that regard . Definitely leaning towards diving in the x99 now. 

80c While stressing cpu for the overclock stability isnt all that bad imo my 4790k was hitting 85c+ at times that being said ive never seen my cpu now during any task go higher than 60-65c and my pc is on 24/7 and doing somekind of productivity over night and still shows no temps higher than 60-65c and with x99 you get a decent amount of features also maybe worth doing some research on x99 and things you might like "WANT OR NEED" i didnt need some things but i opted for a high end board i didnt need a high end board i wanted ^^

l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked ACX 3.0 | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |

Evolution - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LbJq9W

CPU-Z Validation - http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

2 minutes ago, RxL said:

80c While stressing cpu for the overclock stability isnt all that bad imo my 4790k was hitting 85c+ at times that being said ive never seen my cpu now during any task go higher than 60-65c and my pc is on 24/7 and doing somekind of productivity over night and still shows no temps higher than 60-65c and with x99 you get a decent amount of features also maybe worth doing some research on x99 and things you might like "WANT OR NEED" i didnt need some things but i opted for a high end board i didnt need a high end board i wanted ^^

I've been doing a good amount of research on x99 over the past few days . Initially I was just going to jump up to the 6700k then I saw the 6800K performance increases then I noticed how small the price difference is between the 6700 and 5820. It's an evolving thought process on where this pc will go lol . But the reason I'm asking here is it's a little hard to find direct comparisons between the 6700 and 5820 that give the full story .