Is this pc any good?

Islands808

Looks fine to me but I would get i3 6100 in case you want to upgrade in the future as 8350 will not be upgradable to anything faster

Better PSU, Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12II

Try and fit in a 1060 but 1050ti on budget will do

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Looks fine to me but I would get i3 6100 in case you want to upgrade in the future as 8350 will not be upgradable to anything faster

Better PSU, Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12II

Try and fit in a 1060 but 1050ti on budget will do

I think a 1060 would be a better option for 1080p gaming on high settings vs a 1050ti.

@Islands808

If you're willing to deal with old server parts, you can definitely get more bang for your buck, as (some, socket 771 in particular) older server processors are extremely cheap nowadays and pack a huge punch in terms of performance. I just recently (like, a few days ago) bought a bunch of older server parts to put together another PC. It's for a home server, but you could easily use it for gaming. I haven't received my parts yet, so I can't say from experience how well it will work, but on paper it works great, and in LTT's video (down below), they talk about the performance and caveats.

With that being said, here's a build I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: SuperMicro X7DVL-E ($35.90)
Other: Misc. Server RAM 6x4GB (24GB) ($29.99)
Other: Socket 771 CPU fans (2) ($39.95)
Other: Intel Xeon L5420 (2) ($19.98)
Other: HGST/Hitachi 2TB Drive ($39.99)
Total: $470.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-05 23:01 EDT-0400

(Since some of the parts are older server parts, they are Ebay links, in which case you will have to view the PCPartPicker link to view the links.)

If you're interested in going this route, you should 100% watch LTT's video about this:

COMIC SANS

16 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

@Islands808

If you're willing to deal with old server parts, you can definitely get more bang for your buck, as (some, socket 771 in particular) older server processors are extremely cheap nowadays and pack a huge punch in terms of performance. I just recently (like, a few days ago) bought a bunch of older server parts to put together another PC. It's for a home server, but you could easily use it for gaming. I haven't received my parts yet, so I can't say from experience how well it will work, but on paper it works great, and in LTT's video (down below), they talk about the performance and caveats.

With that being said, here's a build I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($239.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($24.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg) 
Other: SuperMicro X7DVL-E ($35.90)
Other: Misc. Server RAM 6x4GB (24GB) ($29.99)
Other: Socket 771 CPU fans (2) ($39.95)
Other: Intel Xeon L5420 (2) ($19.98)
Other: HGST/Hitachi 2TB Drive ($39.99)
Total: $470.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-05 23:01 EDT-0400

(Since some of the parts are older server parts, they are Ebay links, in which case you will have to view the PCPartPicker link to view the links.)

If you're interested in going this route, you should 100% watch LTT's video about this:

Yeah, I'd avoid old server stuff like (unless I'm putting it in with my servers, I love those old decommissioned beasts) for gaming and such, it just isn't worth the hassle for Core 2 era power. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah, I'd avoid old server stuff like (unless I'm putting it in with my servers, I love those old decommissioned beasts) for gaming and such, it just isn't worth the hassle for Core 2 era power. 

I mean, sure it's from the Core 2 era, but the Xeon 5420 (using 2 of them) is still a fairly good option. LTT got a little over 500 in Cinebench, which is definitely well enough for gaming. It's really just something to consider if the OP doesn't mind dealing with older parts.

COMIC SANS

Just now, TopWargamer said:

I mean, sure it's from the Core 2 era, but the Xeon 5420 (using 2 of them) is still a fairly good option. LTT got a little over 500 in Cinebench, which is definitely well enough for gaming. It's really just something to consider if the OP doesn't mind dealing with older parts.

I use two X5670's in my main server, the heat from them is unreal, I shudder each time I look at my power bill, but it's still cheaper than the modern offerings, but that is what you where saying. I wouldn't use my server for gaming though, U1 chassis don't fit very big GPUs lol.

Yours faithfully

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I use two X5670's in my main server, the heat from them is unreal

On this note, the 5670 has a TDP of 95 watts, whereas the 5420 is 50 watts. Quite the difference, but I definitely don't doubt the heating/power issues. In the home server I mentioned, I actually went with 2 X5450s, which have a TDP of 120 watts each. That's 240 watts total for the CPUs alone. I'll have to get creative with the cooling, but at least I don't pay the power bill. 9_9

COMIC SANS

1 minute ago, TopWargamer said:

On this note, the 5670 has a TDP of 95 watts, whereas the 5420 is 50 watts. Quite the difference, but I definitely don't doubt the heating/power issues. In the home server I mentioned, I actually went with 2 5450s, which have a TDP of 120 watts each. That's 240 watts total for the CPUs alone. I'll have to get creative with the cooling, but at least I don't pay the power bill. 9_9

Indeed, but the 5420's isn't the highest end you can go. The server did have L5630's in them, but I swapped them out for the X5670's, the highest I dared go with such small coolers, and indeed they run toasty, right on the mark for Intel's guide lines. If I was feeling brave I could have gone for X5690's but that really would have pushed it into super bad thermal throttling from 260 watts of heat alone, god knows what the power draw would have been. 

Yours faithfully