FPS/Gaming difference between Dual and Quad RAM?

Hey! Was wondering if there's any difference between DUAL channel RAM vs QUAD channel RAM as in gaming? Will I see an FPS increase with quad over dual?

Wondering if I should go with 2x8 or 4x4GB

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

9 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

Hey! Was wondering if there's any difference between DUAL channel RAM vs QUAD channel RAM as in gaming? Will I see an FPS increase with quad over dual?

Wondering if I should go with 2x8 or 4x4GB

You will see pretty much 0 benefit, even in scrutinizing benchmarks... certainly no observeable difference for most people in gaming workloads. get whichever is cheaper or looks better or whatever criteria you deem relevant.

Its also worth noting that just because you have 4 dimms, doesn't mean that it will be running quad channel, in order to get quad channel support, your motherboard needs to be designed for it. Chipsets like X99 are really the only places you'll see it (there are others, but that would be the most common one as far as i know). a more mainstream chipset like Z170 will run dual channel with 2 dimms, and dual channel with 4 dimms.

4 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

You will see pretty much 0 benefit, even in scrutinizing benchmarks... certainly no observeable difference. get whichever is cheaper or looks better or whatever criteria you deem relevant

I disagree, there ARE differences, however, it is quite unlikely that they'll make any big difference while gaming, unless you're trying a very ram-demanding game (e.g. any relatively new total war with 8000+ soldiers).

This is my board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/specifications/

Is it recommended to use dual or quad channel RAM?

Main:  1650 v2   @ 4,6GHz   -   X79 Deluxe                -   GTX 1080 @ 2000MHz   -   24GB DDR3 @ 2400MHz / CL10

Side:   i7-4790K @ 4,5GHz   -   Maximus 7 Hero        -   GTX 1070 @ 2114MHz    -  16GB DDR3 @ 2666MHz / CL12

HWBOT

5 minutes ago, Tech Wizard said:

This is my board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/X79DELUXE/specifications/

Is it recommended to use dual or quad channel RAM?

X79 is a predecessor to X99. X79 is one of the chipsets that supports quad channel memory. If you have the option to run quad channel memory, then you may as well since there ARE potential gains to be had (however minimal they may turn out to be) and there isn't really any disadvantage in doing so, as well as I think it would look best since 2 dimms could make you board look kind of empty.... but you certainly don't need to break the bank in order to get that feature.