Fan Suggestion for H100i

Hi everyone. I just purchased my first water cooling AIO. I have been running Prime95 on an FX 6350 OC at 4.4. I have seen about 10 C drop in temps over my old Coolmaster HyperD92. I expected better performance, and now I hope to reach the max potential of my CPU while I wait and see how the next round of AMD vs Intel goes this spring before doing a complete overhaul.

Anyways, I have an NZXT Phantom full sized tower. I would love to have the radiator just underneath my 200mm dual fans; however, I didn't really plan things out well about a year ago when I set up this machine. I have Corsair Vengeance 1866 RAM, which is high profile. The fans stick down approximately 1/8th an inch too low, and prevent installation due to the RAM. I really don't feel like purchasing another 16GB kit just to have lower or "normal" profile RAM. It will be quite expensive. I didn't know if there were any thinner "lower profile" fans anyone might suggest. I would like to have the push-pull configuration with the dual 200mms doing the pulling and the dual 120mms pushing.

This is two part, aesthetics and performance. I know on the performance end, the push-pull helps the air move smoother through the fins. Speaking on the aesthetics, I have this huge gap where the 200mm fans were, and its kind of ugly. Plus, I'm sure this gap probably creates some weird air vortex. I'm not getting as strong of an airflow coming out of the top vent as before, although my temps do seem to be pretty stable. I will test my GPU later and see if there is any increase in temp due to the lack of the 200mm exhaust fans.

I haven't found too much about low profile fans on radiators, and some people have said they under perform. Would this be an issue if I have dual 200mms pulling the air through as well?

Here are some pictures to help see my current set up. Any suggestions and guidance is definitely appreciated. Thanks in advance.

20161105_120120.jpg

20161105_122324.jpg

Low profile fans are garbage, especially for use in radiators. Noctua fans are good but the corsair ones that come with the cooler are just fine. A 10C drop is a lot. You maybe just have a badly binned chip or a good one and those are just normal temps

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, jol159 said:

how about noctua fans? they seem to be a popular choice

I wouldn't mind a pair, but I didn't think they made them thinner than the standard fans. I've only found a Noctua 92mm slim fan, but not 120mm. Let me know if my Google powers are a bit bad.

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

Low profile fans are garbage, especially for use in radiators. Noctua fans are good but the corsair ones that come with the cooler are just fine. A 10C drop is a lot. You maybe just have a badly binned chip or a good one and those are just normal temps

Yes, 10 C is a bit, but I was also OC'ing on a small 92mm air tower. It was my old cooler on my Phenom 1055T, but never upgraded when I got an FX. I didn't know if low profile would be as garbage if I had another fan creating a vacuum effect on the back side.

But I don't know these things, so that's why I'm asking. The current fans are great, I just wish they were 1/8th an inch slimmer. I cannot really justify purchasing brand new RAM just to put the 200mm's back in.

Why not front mount the radiator with your front fans in push and the corsair fans in pull?

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

1 hour ago, Cereal5 said:

Why not front mount the radiator with your front fans in push and the corsair fans in pull?

My case only has x1 120/140mm front mount. Unless there is a way to modify the CD bay since that's practically empty. I don't even use my CD drive. I couldn't mount it on the base since the hose isn't long enough, but even if I did, it would just blow the hot air into the GPU. Front mount would go straight into the 200mm fans, but I would need a way to mount it properly. I doubt drilling holes in the grill covers would suffice as being sturdy.

I got the 240mm radiator because I had been reading that it would work with high profile RAM. The 280's would definitely not work. That's why I didn't go after the Kraken. Not a big deal if there isn't much I can do about it, I was just curious. I've been on Prime 95 for about an hour. The obnoxious reverberation sound I initially got is gone. Sounded like the pump just had to warm up and get into the swing of things. On P95, Corsair is registering 40.2 C on the H100i. I know the AMD temps are weird. In MSI Command Center, Its registering  35C, and MSI Afterburner is giving me ~45-46. I'll probably borrow a laser gun from a friend and see what the surface temps are.

Having two 200mm exhaust fans would create a huge amount of negative pressure anyways so without them you have to deal with less dust

[Under Construction]

10 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Having two 200mm exhaust fans would create a huge amount of negative pressure anyways so without them you have to deal with less dust

Yes, but without that, I've only got technically 1 exhaust fan on the rear. Without the two 200mm fans, the tip is open. Instead of having positive pressure before the grate, I now have gaps where I feel the hot air from the radio may escape back into the case. I've been working on my OC, so I'll have to check out my gaming and see if there is a difference in GPU temps.

9 hours ago, MotherbordEater11 said:

Can i eat your motherboard?

You spelled Motherboard wrong in your username.

On 11/6/2016 at 5:53 AM, Ryujin2003 said:

You spelled Motherboard wrong in your username.

thanks i cant believe i didn't notice that

4 hours ago, MotherbordEater11 said:

thanks i cant believe i didn't notice that

You're welcome. MSI said as long as TEMP 2 is 90 or below I'm safe.... so you can eat my Motherboard if you really want, but I'd let it cool down first.

On 11/7/2016 at 9:48 PM, Ryujin2003 said:

so you can eat my Motherboard if you really want, but I'd let it cool down first.

thanks