New Google Image Banner Ads push results lower

GoodBytes

Google now has added image banner ads on the search results, Ars Technica reports.

southwest-airlines-1080.png

Now, banner images ad pushes actual results further down, and doesn't replace search ads

Remember the old days:
wigblog-2005-03-google-misses-google-map
When the purpose of Google was to NOT do what they are doing now.

At this rate, Microsoft just needs to imporves Bing search a bit more, and assuming they keep things as is, it will be a worthy competitor.

Or there is Yahoo... ooohh let's bring back Altavista!

Source: http://arstechnica.com/business/2013/10/new-banner-ads-push-actual-google-results-to-bottom-12-of-the-screen/#image-4

What do you think of all this?
Do you care?

I don't really care, I use adblock.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

At least it's better than Bing :)

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I don't really care, I use adblock.

Even with ad block you still have the ads. All you lose is the side bar ads.

Dont really care about adds in general... The only time they annoy me is when i have to watch two for a single YouTube video or they put the ad in the middle of a video....

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

I don't really like the full banner ads, if it applies to general searches.  But by the looks of it, the target will be when you type in a companies name...in which case, I actually like it.

With that said, this is only an "experiment" so if people don't like it google won't necessarily continue it (I remember a few of their experiments that weren't received well)

*Edit  I just tried google it, I get a larger ad on the side now...and there is a feedback button. (I actually like the look of it when I google "southwest airlines" the version I see)

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

I have a feeling that this will bother me because at school I use a laptop that has lowish resolution so it has less screen real-estate. And I get annoyed by it without ads pushing it even further down

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Even with ad block you still have the ads. All you lose is the side bar ads.

Oh well I don't have any ads anywhere with adblock

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

All the more reason to use AdBlock. This will only hard content creators like LinusTech.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

ain't got nuthin on me

daa38daa09a43d1d191f12ec65a10ee1.png

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Well guess its time to start using Bing as a single banner ad is just too much.... sarcasm

Back from the dead....

Well if the screenshots you've shown are anything to go by then the banner ad at the top is the most relevant thing for your search result. Meaning that its not really an ad and more a prominent search result (with ad revenue for google) Imagine how much money google is going to make if every time somebody searches for something the most likely result is an ad that they make money from.

This is very smart and not really that inconvenient. I do use adblock so I hadn't noticed but its very rare that I google something and the thing I want isn't the top or the second link.

Maybe they're so confident in their new search algorithms that they think they're going to get the right result first way more often. 

I do think you and a lot of other people are overreacting or didn't realise that the first screenshot has the banner ad as almost certainly the one you're wanting to click on.

If anything if it makes the right result more prominent it may even be a good thing.

There is only 1 problem I see with this, That is that its going to increase bandwidth usage and increase the loading time of a page. Not a problem when you have decent internet but there are a lot of places still with terrible internet. I was talking to a customer the other day that still has dial-up because there is no mobile range and he can't get dsl.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4