Graphics Card beginning to overheat to 85-90+

Go to solution Solved by xAbyss,
1 minute ago, rwaalph said:

Considering the lack of airflow and 1-2 years you have been using it under heavy load , Yes . If you want open the gpu and replace the thermal compund, it might work on some occasion

Okay, I understand. Maybe it'll be time to upgrade the case, and make sure it has good airflow all round and in the case of my graphics card slowly dying, I may upgrade it. 
Thank you!

Hey guys!

I'm new to the forums, so ayee! - Anyway, I've been having issues with my ASUS GeForce® GTX 760 DC Mini - Recently, it has been overheating to around 85-90c+ even running games both on highest possible settings and even after I've lowered graphical quality it overheats and gets to a point where my PC monitor goes black and the audio just repeats in an endless loop, I believe it may be something to do with the thermal protection that the GTX760 apparently has? (I'm not very tech savvy, so I apologise.) I've cleaned my PC out numerous times to get rid of dust in the fans etc and I don't know what else to do. 

The PC I bought about 1-2 years ago was this: zoostorm_home.png
The Specs (that I think are relevant)
i7-3770 Quad Core Processor
Nvidia GT630 (Which I upgraded to the gtx760 mini because of the case size is extremely small)
8GB DDR3 RAM

I don't know what I should do, but I have been thinking of buying a completely new case which has more vents and fans on the back-end (The PC has no fans other than the cpu cooler/fan on the gtx760) so that may be another issue.
I'm also thinking of keeping my current CPU because it seems perfectly okay as it is right now (under load if anybody wanted to know has around 40-50C temps on my CPU - Checked via MSI Afterburner) - But my main priority may be upgrading the graphics card (for better fps in more recent games like BF1) to either a 960/70 or 980. and the case. If anybody has any recommendations for Cases etc, please let me know! and thank you for taking the time to read this and help out :D 

GPU INFO.png

I would recommend upgrading to a pascal or Polaris gpu, such as the rx480 and the Gtx 1060. Thermal compound may be the issue on your gpu, but its not an easy fix. You would have to remove the GPU cooler and replace all of the thermal pads, and it's not guaranteed that it would solve anything. The gpu might also be dying, as those temps are high but not high enough to cause the issues you described. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Like what he said, you can get a lot more performance with the latest gen GPUs for the price of a 960/970 or 980.

The NZXT S340 is a pretty sweet $100 case. But if you don't exactly care for the aesthetics and more airflow, get a phanteks case that suits you, and you should be good. If you want a mix between quiet and air flow the fractal design S or r5 is not too bad.

21 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I would recommend upgrading to a pascal or Polaris gpu, such as the rx480 and the Gtx 1060. Thermal compound may be the issue on your gpu, but its not an easy fix. You would have to remove the GPU cooler and replace all of the thermal pads, and it's not guaranteed that it would solve anything. The gpu might also be dying, as those temps are high but not high enough to cause the issues you described. 

What do you think may be causing the issue of my monitor going black and then coming back up and displaying HDMI in the top left corner every so often and the black screen thing whenever I'm playing a game, It's only when I'm playing a game :/

2 minutes ago, xAbyss said:

What do you think may be causing the issue of my monitor going black and then coming back up and displaying HDMI in the top left corner every so often and the black screen thing whenever I'm playing a game, It's only when I'm playing a game :/

Dying gpu most likely. Sounds like the card cuts off output intermittently. May also be a bad cable. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Yeah might be the gpu dying and also try getting fans your pc might need an airflow it can help keeping your pc a lil bit cooler

4 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Dying gpu most likely. Sounds like the card cuts off output intermittently. 

Hmm, I managed to gather other info about my computer here, if any of it may be relevant or anything to be upgraded etc. Because I heard that the components can't reach their full potential on a shitty motherboard, but again. I'm not too tech savvy :/

INFO.png

2 minutes ago, rwaalph said:

Yeah might be the gpu dying and also try getting fans your pc might need an airflow it can help keeping your pc a lil bit cooler

Could the gpu dying be due to the temps and lack of cooling I have and constantly pushing it under heavy load when playing games on high/ultra? (or optimizing for 60fps)

Just now, xAbyss said:

Could the gpu dying be due to the temps and lack of cooling I have and constantly pushing it under heavy load when playing games on high/ultra? (or optimizing for 60fps)

Considering the lack of airflow and 1-2 years you have been using it under heavy load , Yes . If you want open the gpu and replace the thermal compund, it might work on some occasion

1 minute ago, rwaalph said:

Okay, I understand. Maybe it'll be time to upgrade the case, and make sure it has good airflow all round and in the case of my graphics card slowly dying, I may upgrade it. 
Thank you!

7 hours ago, xAbyss said:

Thank you!

Let me clarify what I was saying earlier - your gpu is dead. Replacing the thermal compound and getting a new case won't help it now, its too far gone. Just replace the gpu.