AMD shooting themselves in the foot?

linus7

Apparently there has been a rumor floating around that there won't be custom coolers for the 290x until early 2014 
and the only question i got to ask is why would AMD they hold the custom cards? ( especially that soon NVIDIA is going to drop the price on the 780) are they shooting themselves in the foot?

Apparently there has been a rumor floating around that there won't be custom coolers for the 290x until early 2014 

and the only question i got to ask is why would AMD they hold the custom cards? ( especially that soon NVIDIA is going to drop the price on the 780) are they shooting themselves in the foot?

It's RUMOR. Not even AMD would do smth that stupid. (Nvidia did it with the Titan lol)

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

We've already seen non-reference 280x's, so what makes you think they would delay non-reference 290x's? No way is this true, let alone a good rumor.

It's RUMOR. Not even AMD would do smth that stupid. (Nvidia did it with the Titan lol)

TTL was told by vendors and AMD that its either early 2014 or not at this time.

We've already seen non-reference 280x's, so what makes you think they would delay non-reference 290x's? No way is this true, let alone a good rumor.

But the 280X is an HD 7970 Ghz, it's a really old card now, all vendors had their solutions ready but anyway... you say early 2014 like if it was far away, it's like 2 months away, it looks like a very short and reasonable time to me for the reference cards to sell and non-reference coolers to come out.

But the 280X is an HD 7970 Ghz, it's a really old card now, all vendors had their solutions ready but anyway... you say early 2014 like if it was far away, it's like 2 months away, it looks like a very short and reasonable time to me for the reference cards to sell and non-reference coolers to come out.

but the reference  card runs at a 95 degrees and has noise problems

why would people buy it ? 

but the reference  card runs at a 95 degrees and has noise problems

why would people buy it ? 

people who don't care about noise on their cards and the others who want to slap a water block on it.

people who don't care about noise on their cards and the others who want to slap a water block on it.

amd says its ok for the card to run at 95 degrees but i'm not so sure about that

amd says its ok for the card to run at 95 degrees but i'm not so sure about that

I'm sure the cards have a warranty that covers it for years so I wouldn't worry about it.

you can limit the temps if you really want to

you can limit the temps if you really want to

and lose performance in the process 

i have been waiting to build a new pc for quite sometime

but i really dont know if i should grab a reference seems to risky.... 

and lose performance in the process 

i have been waiting to build a new pc for quite sometime

but i really dont know if i should grab a reference seems to risky.... 

lose performance? no you will get the same performance it will just tell the gpu not to go to above the target you set for the temperature besides you are hardly going to reach 100% load unless rendering and playing or benchmarking anyway

TTL confirmed, and I more or less quote;

"There will be no Direct CU II R9 290x this side of christmas, nor will there be a club custom card as the manufacture rates are too low for them to do anything productive."

Something along the lines of that, he said, after contacting his reps. at both Asus and Club3D. 

He didn't say anything about any of the other vendors. 

280X is not a new architecture like the 290's. It's based on the 7970GHZ which they already had cooler designs for which is why non-reference coolers came out so fast.

lose performance? no you will get the same performance it will just tell the gpu not to go to above the target you set for the temperature besides you are hardly going to reach 100% load unless rendering and playing or benchmarking anyway

At stock clocks, R9 290x is unable to stay with maximum clocks all the time... as fast as it gets to 95*C it starts throttling slowly.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

I don't really give a shit about cooling because temps can be adjusted and it looks good (It has red LEDs, doesn't it?), but how loud is it at 100% fan speed? AMD is notorious for their jet engines.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

The Titan's stock cooler isn't hideous, only being able to get one with the stock cooler is not an issue when it looks like this

geforce-gtx-titan-3.jpg

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

The thing is that the Titan's cooler is good. It's not a terrible stock cooler like the one we have seen for years now.

Considering what TTL said I really hope AMD reconsiders their decision.

My first thought would be, for them to see what the 780ti is going to do to them.

The Titan's stock cooler isn't hideous, only being able to get one with the stock cooler is not an issue when it looks like this

geforce-gtx-titan-3.jpg

I found myself polishing my monitor......So Pretty!  B)

TTL confirmed, and I more or less quote;

"There will be no Direct CU II R9 290x this side of christmas, nor will there be a club custom card as the manufacture rates are too low for them to do anything productive."

Something along the lines of that, he said, after contacting his reps. at both Asus and Club3D. 

He didn't say anything about any of the other vendors. 

then this gives hope to see a gigabyte msi or a sapphire at the end of october

geforce-gtx-titan-3.jpg

but does it reach 95 degrees ?

At stock clocks, R9 290x is unable to stay with maximum clocks all the time... as fast as it gets to 95*C it starts throttling slowly.

95C!!??  Why didn't anyone tell me they were having a BBQ!!??  I like mine Medium to Medium-well!   ;)

but does it reach 95 degrees ?

if you set the temperature target to allow for 95 degrees it will.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

if you set the temperature target to allow for 95 degrees it will.

but im sure the stock cooler on the titan is much less terrible then on the 290x?