Putting Computer in my closet.

Danielh90

Hello I'm thinking about putting my computer in my closet because I would like to make my desk area look nice. I'm just trying to figure out what type of cables I need to extend the current cables/how to do that. Any suggestion on USB extender cables,HDMI Extender and DVI Extender cables. Also power cord that extend longer Also. If you can suggestion some that will be great. 

3 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

Hello I'm thinking about putting my computer in my closet because I would like to make my desk area look nice. I'm just trying to figure out what type of cables I need to extend the current cables/how to do that. Any suggestion on USB extender cables,HDMI Extender and DVI Extender cables. Also power cord that extend longer Also. If you can suggestion some that will be great. 

Depending on how much heat your rig produces, you may want to test system temps with it in the closet before you purchase all of your extensions.  Closets tend to be a bit smaller than a room and don't generally have fresh cool air circulating through them.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Depending on how much heat your rig produces, you may want to test system temps with it in the closet before you purchase all of your extensions.  Closets tend to be a bit smaller than a room and don't generally have fresh cool air circulating through them.

I think. It is the same temp as my room because it has no door. but I'll put that in to consider on doing. 

4 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

I think. It is the same as my room because it has no door. but I'll put that in to consider on doing. 

No door.  Well that changes things a bit, but you still may want to test it.

Other than that, I would purchase the cables at the correct length needed instead of using extensions.  They make really long HDMI, DVI and USB cables.  Instead of trying to extend the PSU power cable, just run a power strip with a long cable into the closet.  

I hope that helps.

**Also, buy cables longer than what you think you need.  You always come up a little short when doing projects like this.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Other than that, I would purchase the cables at the correct length needed instead of using extensions.  They make really long HDMI, DVI and USB cables.  Instead of trying to extend the PSU power cable, just run a power strip with a long cable into the closet.

I hope that helps.

What about the USB cables. that are like the keyboard and mouse they would have to have a extensions? 

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I hope that helps.

**Also, buy cables longer than what you think you need.  You always come up a little short when doing projects like this.

I am think about doing it too for noise issue what is the pricefor the cable in close righ next to my destk

Does your PC have Thunderbolt?
If so, you could get something like this Thunderbolt Dock. (that particular one doesn't have DVI but I'm sure you could get one somewhere, as it's just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UUCQVBK/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC66233
And only have a single cable(thunderbolt) coming out of your closet to wherever your monitor is, for a clean look.

Otherwise, how far is your closet to where you would want it to go? Will the cables go through a wall or around it? Because by design a normal USB cable can't be more than 16feet/5 meter. So if the distance is more than that, you will need active extensions.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Danielh90 said:

What about the USB cables. that are like the keyboard and mouse they would have to have a extensions? 

Absolutely.  They have all types of USB extensions.  

Here's a USB 3.0, but you can get whatever you need.  Run your extension to a USB hub on your desk and you're set.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/328162/USB_30_5Gbps_Type_A_Male_to_Female_Extension_Cable_10_Feet

what you could do is get 2 fans and have em as intake and outlet in your closet , drill 2 holes in the back and mount em there (exaust above the intake ofc) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

3 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Does your PC have Thunderbolt?
If so, you could get something like this Thunderbolt Dock. (that particular one doesn't have DVI but I'm sure you could get one somewhere, as it's just an example)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UUCQVBK/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=WC66233
And only have a single cable(thunderbolt) coming out of your closet to wherever your monitor is, for a clean look.

Otherwise, how far is your closet to where you would want it to go? Will the cables go through a wall or around it? Because by design a normal USB cable can't be more than 16feet/5 meter. So if the distance is more than that, you will need active extensions.

Nope. If It did I would be looking into that instead of USB extensions. 

3 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Absolutely.  They have all types of USB extensions.  

Here's a USB 3.0, but you can get whatever you need.  Run your extension to a USB hub on your desk and you're set.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/328162/USB_30_5Gbps_Type_A_Male_to_Female_Extension_Cable_10_Feet

Oh ok cool. 

3 hours ago, Danielh90 said:

Oh ok cool. 

or do what I did and put it then closet rigt next to my pc with speaker

it work just fine for a test for 0$

IMG_0209.JPG

3 minutes ago, m2234323 said:

or do what I did and put it then closet rigt next to my pc with speaker

it work just fine for a test for 0$

Interesting.  You moved the closet to the PC.  :D

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

how to tell what noise is ok with

1 minute ago, m2234323 said:

how to tell what noise is ok with

Oh thanks for doing that. 

Just now, Danielh90 said:

Oh thanks for doing that. 

how do you decide what noise is ok with I stil  hear it that how loud it is

2 minutes ago, m2234323 said:

how do you decide what noise is ok with I stil  hear it that how loud it is

I think it depends on your rig. My rig is very quiet because I have a ssd in it. I can still hear the fans running I believe I hear the fans. But I gotten very use to the fans noise so It does not bother me. I think it would decrease the sound of it also. Also I'm looking to drill a hole in the closet wall next to the door frame so I can run all the wires in too that hole then to the computer trying to keep it nice. 

I had a friend who wanted something similar to this. He used a USB dock, Bose Bluetooth wireless headphone, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and Bluetooth speakers. I also got him a pcie remote control power and reset switch to turn on his PC without going into the closet. The only thing he ended up routing through was a long hdmi cable to the closet. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

2 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

I had a friend who wanted something similar to this. He used a USB dock, Bose Bluetooth wireless headphone, Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse and Bluetooth speakers. I also got him a pcie remote control power and reset switch to turn on his PC without going into the closet. The only thing he ended up routing through was a long hdmi cable to the closet. 

Nice. 

9 hours ago, done12many2 said:

how to find a good usb hub with long enouth cable