Very Annoyed with people hating on Nvidia

qmully

I'm really pissed as of late how people are so excited that the R9 290x is beating titans. I understand that the price is amazing but beating the titans performance by a few percentage is not really a win now. Titan has been out for more than 6 months now and it seems that AMD had to push this card to the breaking point to beat titan. It has load temps of 95+ degrees! I just see that as a way to increase performance by just increasing voltage. I am not an Nvidia fanboy I love AMD doing well and I love mantle but I just don't see how the R9 290x is such a great thing at this point.

I'm really pissed as of late how people are so excited that the R9 290x is beating titans. I understand that the price is amazing but beating the titans performance by a few percentage is not really a win now. Titan has been out for more than 6 months now and it seems that AMD had to push this card to the breaking point to beat titan. It has load temps of 95+ degrees! I just see that as a way to increase performance by just increasing voltage. I am not an Nvidia fanboy I love AMD doing well and I love mantle but I just don't see how the R9 290x is such a great thing.

It doesn't really beat the Titan though.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

I'm really pissed as of late how people are so excited that the R9 290x is beating titans. I understand that the price is amazing but beating the titans performance by a few percentage is not really a win now. Titan has been out for more than 6 months now and it seems that AMD had to push this card to the breaking point to beat titan. It has load temps of 95+ degrees! I just see that as a way to increase performance by just increasing voltage. I am not an Nvidia fanboy I love AMD doing well and I love mantle but I just don't see how the R9 290x is such a great thing at this point.

Why does the hype for 290x bother you then if you love AMD? I don't really understand your frustration. Are you saying AMD shouldn't be pushing the envelope on how their cards perform?

Also with the heat issue, I'm assuming 95+ degree temps are only with the reference cards. So once Asus puts a DirectCUII on it / Gigabyte puts a Windforce cooler on it those temps will drop dramatically.

FX 8150 @ 4.0 GHz, MSI Radeon 7850 OC Edition, 2 x 4 gigs of GSkill Sniper ddr3 at 2133 MHz, two 120 gig Kingston HyperX 3K ssds, Crosshair V Formula, Antec High Current Gamer 620 watt psu, all wrapped up inside a Cooler Master CM Storm Stryker.

Well it head to bow even to the 780 once both are OC'ed, I'm pretty surprised that the card isn't such and awesome OC'er as the 7970, but maybe that has to do with the aggresive stock clock. The price is awesome, normal edition costs €495 here and the BF4 edition costs €555. 

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

In some cases it's a little worse than the 780, The main selling point is the price and maybe mantle.

Definitely, we've seen that an OC'd 780 will beat it. The price point is very aggressive and hopefully could get nVidia to lower the 780 prices a little.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

First off your Title of the topic doesnt fit with your post.

Secondly dont take it as a personal insult. 

Third, people are naturally excited if there is new card coming at lower price, its good for both camps (nvidia also announced cuts).

I havent seen anyone hating on nvidia. Not directly anyway. I did however, seen comments right now prices are pumped up because nvidia has flagship cards up there. 

My frustration is the fact that every where i go (other than the people who have brains on linus tech tips :D ) have just been bashing the crap out of titan even when it has the same performance in many cases as the R9 290x but has better temps and power consumption than the R9. I'm not taking it personally. And i do agree that Nvidia is stealing peoples money with there exorbitant prices.

It's a lot closer at higher resolutions, or even beats it a little. Everyone is on about 4K with this card, and it was made with 4K in vision. But at lower resolutions, the Titan still comes out on top.

qmully, on 24 Oct 2013 - 8:37 PM, said:

Because Titan was and still is overpriced while the R9 290x(man this is not easy to type) come close or even beating the Titan in some games/programs while being almost half the price.

Well, AMD fan have had the same stick up from Nvidia fans for quite some time not just for its harware but also their 'bad' driver, this is just a way for some people to justify their purchases, by means of talking low on it's competitor and telling how much better theirs is. That's how fanboyism works.

Plus,why are you so worked out on something trivial like this?

To be fair, nVidia have done a few things that have upset people, but I will admit it's kind of a bandwagon-like trend. Many people either own an nVidia card or just absolutely hate the company.

Because Titan was and still is overpriced while the R9 290x(man this is not easy to type) come close or even beating the Titan in some games/programs while being almost half the price.

Well, AMD fan have had the same stick up from Nvidia fans for quite some time not just for its harware but also their 'bad' driver, this is just a way for some people to justify their purchases, by means of talking low on it's competitor and telling how much better theirs is. That's how fanboyism works.

Plus,why are you so worked out on something trivial like this?

Not worked up just trying to understand there stance on this topic. Sorry if it comes off as im worked up.

I have been getting annoyed by people hating on Nvidia recently.  At first, I thought it was all in jest, but it has gotten a little carried away.  I think the main thing is that AMD  is "the underdog" in this and people love the underdog.  So that's a reason a lot of people are hopping on the red bandwagon.  I mean Nvidia has the capability of destroying AMD when it comes to gpus, and that's a fact.  Others like AMD because they release products with great performance/$ ratio.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

I have been getting annoyed by people hating on Nvidia recently.  At first, I thought it was all in jest, but it has gotten a little carried away.  I think the main thing is that AMD  is "the underdog" in this and people love the underdog.  So that's a reason a lot of people are hopping on the red bandwagon.  I mean Nvidia has the capability of destroying AMD when it comes to gpus, and that's a fact.  Others like AMD because they release products with great performance/$ ratio.

Same here. I do agree with your last point too just imagine they had titans 1 year ago and now amd is just matching it.

My frustration is the fact that every where i go (other than the people who have brains on linus tech tips :D ) have just been bashing the crap out of titan even when it has the same performance in many cases as the R9 290x but has better temps and power consumption than the R9. I'm not taking it personally. And i do agree that Nvidia is stealing peoples money with there exorbitant prices.

To put it simply, the Titan is quite ludicrously priced at $1000. Bashing it it may not be the best course of action but Nvidia really should stop bending us over with their prices. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

To put it simply, the Titan is quite ludicrously priced at $1000. Bashing it it may not be the best course of action but Nvidia really should stop bending us over with their prices. 

Agreed. 780 bended me over. :( But totally worth it.

The thing some people forget that most people (Most enthusiast's also) don't have  the money or think it's worth it for a 4k montior, So all this un used power will be un used before the average enthusiast even gets to see a 4k monitor. 2560x1440/2560x1600 is pretty much what all high end enthusiasts have right now.

Same here. I do agree with your last point too just imagine they had titans 1 year ago and now amd is just matching it.

Not just titans... they could have released all their flagship cards (x80 series) at a price equivalent to AMD's flagships (xx90 series) and kill them.

Titan isn't bad card at all, It's very powerful, but it's way too overpriced. It's not brainer now to buy it when you can buy 780 with 650$ which is very close to titan, or buy new R9 290x which is even cheaper, and answer to your question, why most people are excited to that new card, cause first it's brand new, second it has very good price/performance ratio & why people hate Nvidia, cause of their prices. High prices annoy people, unless they are rich.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

qmully, on 24 Oct 2013 - 8:58 PM, said:

Not worked up just trying to understand there stance on this topic. Sorry if it comes off as im worked up.

Well at first read,that's how it looked like to me. This kind of thread is only going to fuel that silly AMD vs Nvidia argument among fanboys.

qmully, on 24 Oct 2013 - 9:10 PM, said:

Agreed. 780 bended me over. :( But totally worth it.

See what I told you about justifying their purchases? Sometimes some people do this kind of thing without ever noticing that they are sounding a little bit like a fanboy and I don't blame that person. It's our nature to defend stuffs that we have purchased and maybe enjoyed using.

Cheer up and just enjoy all these VS stuffs among the two companies as in the end it'll bring more benefit to us the consumers! :)

Well at first read,that's how it looked like to me. This kind of thread is only going to fuel that silly AMD vs Nvidia argument among fanboys.

See what I told you about justifying their purchases? Sometimes some people do this kind of thing without ever noticing that they are sounding a little bit like a fanboy and I don't blame that person. It's our nature to defend stuffs that we have purchased and maybe enjoyed using.

Cheer up and just enjoy all these VS stuffs among the two companies as in the end it'll bring more benefit to us the consumers! :)

Yeah will do and the reason i bought a 780 was because it was the fastest "reasonably" priced card out. AMD only had the 7970 which was no where near as fast as a 780

Titan isn't bad card at all, It's very powerful, but it's way too overpriced. It's not brainer now to buy it when you can buy 780 with 650$ which is very close to titan, or buy new R9 290x which is even cheaper, and answer to your question, why most people are excited to that new card, cause first it's brand new, second it has very good price/performance ratio & why people hate Nvidia, cause of their prices. High prices annoy people, unless they are rich.

The Titan is a COMPUTE card, and not really designed to play video games on.  It was released for "prosumers" who wanted a hybrid rig that would do rendering and could also play games or drive large resolutions.  This is something that people don't understand.  The titan is cannot be compared to the 290X or even the 780.