Was new to OC and thought PC almost died

Hey guys, needed some help and tips haha anyway i just started overclocking which is i really just tested it with my good old motherboard with the intel dh55tc and my processor is an I5-760 2.80Ghz and i upped it till 3.50Ghz and i was wondering how to check if it is safe? Anyway before all that, when i reverted my settings into default, my pc won't boot up. It only stays at the windows 10 logo or it says prepairing automatic repair then black screen happens. So i really panicked and i did not know what to do so i ended up returning my settings into the OC state which is 3.50Ghz again and it booted ._. so just tell me what info do you need if this is safe for the voltage and btw, My rams are now working at 1600Mhz but my motherboard only holds up until to 1333Mhz, is this safe? Anyway would give any info to your questions :D thanks guys! 

You could check it by running a long term stress test to see how well your rig function after being under load for a long time.

This is pretty much the worst case scenario and I would advise testing for a few hours to validate its stability so that in the future you can be assured that your PC won't crash when you're playing games.

I recommend the following benchmarks:

CPU Z stress test

Aida 64

Also what cpu cooler are you running? because the increase in temperature due to overclocking may result in lower life span of your cpu (if it is stable I would think that the board will probably break before the cpu and even then it would last along time ,3-5 years tops).

8 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

Hey guys, needed some help and tips haha anyway i just started overclocking which is i really just tested it with my good old motherboard with the intel dh55tc and my processor is an I5-760 2.80Ghz and i upped it till 3.50Ghz and i was wondering how to check if it is safe?

Keep an eye on your temperatures and check it with a stability test utility such as AIDA64 and/or Prime95. If those run for some time (ideally a few hours) at a safe temperature without crashing or system instability, you're in good shape. I found 3.5 GHz to be a pretty easy overclock for an i5-750/760, back when I owned one… though of course your results may differ.

Anyway before all that, when i reverted my settings into default, my pc won't boot up. It only stays at the windows 10 logo or it says prepairing automatic repair then black screen happens. So i really panicked and i did not know what to do so i ended up returning my settings into the OC state which is 3.50Ghz again and it booted ._.

If you want to return to factory settings, instead of trying to set everything back manually (and possibly forgetting/overlooking something), use your motherboard's Load Optimized Defaults function. Usually it appears in some wording similar to that near the bottom of the BIOS screen along with an F-key shortcut.

My rams are now working at 1600Mhz but my motherboard only holds up until to 1333Mhz, is this safe?

The "base" frequency for DDR3 memory is 1333 MHz, so that's what your CPU and motherboard claim to support. 1600 MHz is technically a memory overclock, but it is safe. Your memory may have been sold as "DDR3-1600," meaning it was tested as such. As long as it's stable at those settings, it's fine.

10 hours ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

RAM speed is fine, dunno about that windows problem though. You used the core multiplier, right?

Oh ok thanks! that is i have no idea ._. what is a core multiplier? 

10 hours ago, kirby99_2016 said:

You could check it by running a long term stress test to see how well your rig function after being under load for a long time.

This is pretty much the worst case scenario and I would advise testing for a few hours to validate its stability so that in the future you can be assured that your PC won't crash when you're playing games.

I recommend the following benchmarks:

CPU Z stress test

Aida 64

Also what cpu cooler are you running? because the increase in temperature due to overclocking may result in lower life span of your cpu (if it is stable I would think that the board will probably break before the cpu and even then it would last along time ,3-5 years tops).

Alright i'll try that, I am using a Cryorig R1 Ultimate currently and the temps currently now is minimum 30c maximum 45c but it's still night here so we will know tomorrow in the afternoon since it's hot here in the philippines 

10 hours ago, typographie said:

Keep an eye on your temperatures and check it with a stability test utility such as AIDA64 and/or Prime95. If those run for some time (ideally a few hours) at a safe temperature without crashing or system instability, you're in good shape. I found 3.5 GHz to be a pretty easy overclock for an i5-750/760, back when I owned one… though of course your results may differ.

If you want to return to factory settings, instead of trying to set everything back manually (and possibly forgetting/overlooking something), use your motherboard's Load Optimized Defaults function. Usually it appears in some wording similar to that near the bottom of the BIOS screen along with an F-key shortcut.

The "base" frequency for DDR3 memory is 1333 MHz, so that's what your CPU and motherboard claim to support. 1600 MHz is technically a memory overclock, but it is safe. Your memory may have been sold as "DDR3-1600," meaning it was tested as such. As long as it's stable at those settings, it's fine.

Ok i'll keep an eye on that and yes i'm scared on restoring it since i also did try restoring it to the default settings but the same results happened ._. so currently right now it's on 3.30Ghz from the default 2.80Ghz. Ok got it about the rams :D 

Would update you guys on the upcoming results :D thanks! 

Update: It was a success on this current settings on intel burn test :D

18 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

so currently right now it's on 3.30Ghz from the default 2.80Ghz.

What's your core voltage set to? 3.3 GHz is a very modest overclock, I don't think it's even higher than the i5-760's max Turbo frequency. It may not even need a voltage bump, and overvolting is where most of the "risk" of overclocking comes from.

10 hours ago, kirby99_2016 said:

wait you're a filipino? Same! except I live in the UK

Yes, yes i am! hahaha it's nice to see that there are lot's of filipinos here weee :D So how is the snow there? hahahahahaha 

10 hours ago, typographie said:

What's your core voltage set to? 3.3 GHz is a very modest overclock, I don't think it's even higher than the i5-760's max Turbo frequency. It may not even need a voltage bump, and overvolting is where most of the "risk" of overclocking comes from.

Not sure if it's this one but it's on 1.5v, i see i'm actually scared about that overvolting ._. but anyway tried this setting in the intel burn test and it was a success haha i'm planning on increasing it more though 

7 hours ago, XyzWoot said:

Not sure if it's this one but it's on 1.5v, i see i'm actually scared about that overvolting ._. but anyway tried this setting in the intel burn test and it was a success haha i'm planning on increasing it more though 

No no no. You say you're worried about the risks of overclocking, but you intend to proceed without knowing what your core voltage is?! :P

You really need to know what that number is. If you've set your CPU core voltage to 1.5 V, that's really high. Dangerously high. I've seen others reach 4 GHz on 1.4 V with an i5-750/760 (and that's also pretty high). On the other hand, DDR3 DRAM voltage is usually either 1.5 V or 1.65 V. So depending on exactly what that voltage is it may be either completely normal or highly dangerous to your hardware.

Find your core voltage and tell me what it says. If you haven't changed it yet, it may be set to 'Auto.' I think most i5-750's and 760's have a stock voltage around 1.25 V.

1 hour ago, typographie said:

No no no. You say you're worried about the risks of overclocking, but you intend to proceed without knowing what your core voltage is?! :P

You really need to know what that number is. If you've set your CPU core voltage to 1.5 V, that's really high. Dangerously high. I've seen others reach 4 GHz on 1.4 V with an i5-750/760 (and that's also pretty high). On the other hand, DDR3 DRAM voltage is usually either 1.5 V or 1.65 V. So depending on exactly what that voltage is it may be either completely normal or highly dangerous to your hardware.

Find your core voltage and tell me what it says. If you haven't changed it yet, it may be set to 'Auto.' I think most i5-750's and 760's have a stock voltage around 1.25 V.

Oh i see hahaha so that's for my ram, i saw it now on CPU Z 1.2V is the highest. is it right? usually it's going from 0.9 to 1.2v

10 minutes ago, XyzWoot said:

Oh i see hahaha so that's for my ram, i saw it now on CPU Z 1.2V is the highest. is it right? usually it's going from 0.9 to 1.2v

Oh okay, that's a relief. Yes, that looks like you're at the CPU's stock voltage.

You may need to start pushing up the voltage slightly if you want to overclock beyond 3.3 GHz (though you might get to 3.4–3.5 on stock voltage). If you find instability, increase the voltage to 1.25 V or so and try to test it again. I'm not sure what voltage is considered "safe" for Lynnfield chips, but I'd recommend staying below 1.4 V just to be cautious. Ideally you want to use the lowest voltage you can while still remaining stable at your desired overclock.

• 1 month later...

May you tell me your overclock setting.I also have this same configuration as yours i5 760 2.8 GHz, dh55tc mobo, except for corsair 1333 MHz ram. My computer fails to boot up after increasing FSB.

Did you only increase Fsb or lower multiplier?

Did you disable the turbo and intel SpeedStep?