r9 290x discussion?

kinkywink

i dont know about you guys but looking at the bench marks, it seems like the r9 280x reaches a maximum frame rate but also keeps that frame rate no matter the resolution..

from the bench marks slick did, it shows around 40-70 in all the games at 1080p and damn near exactly the same in 1440p? whos keen to see what happens on 4k?

also, what were the temperatures running at if the r9 290x wasnt even "stretching its legs" on the 1080p/1440p?

The Beast [Case -  Corsair 750D CPU - I5 4670k @ 4.3ghz 1.2V CPU cooler - Hyper 212 evo Mobo - MSI g45 z87 RAM - G.Skill Z series 4*4@1866mhz GPU - Gigabyte windforce 3x r9 290 Storage - SSD, samsung 840 evo 120gb HDD, Western Digital Blue 1tb PSU - SilverStone Strider silver 80+ 750WPeripherals [Monitor - ASUS VS239 IPS 23" Keyboard - Corsair K95 Mouse - Mad Catz RAT 7]

The card was designed to run at 95C, so unless they changed something, it'll run at 95C, I personally will wait to see what Nvidia does with the 780ti, and I'm willing to bet I'll end up getting that instead.

for the price it's darn good

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I just watched TinyTomLogans review and he is not well impressed.

I was keen to hear what the R9 290X had to offer, SteamOS is going to favour AMD on its linux back end which is appealing but then there is Shield which im also interested in.

In AUD its priced between $660-$700 a GTX780 is between $700 and $900 (hydro copper) but when the GTX780Ti comes out this price will drop and get VERY close to initial R9 290X pricing and I can't ignore that. For me, I will wait for the GTX780Ti and pick up a couple of competitively priced GTX780's...

Yes because here we have massive price gouging.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

Yes because here we have massive price gouging.

Do we ever. Manufacturers seriously screwing us over.

BTW we're from the same city (if you can call Invercargill a city)

I just watched TinyTomLogans review and he is not well impressed.

I was keen to hear what the R9 290X had to offer, SteamOS is going to favour AMD on its linux back end which is appealing but then there is Shield which im also interested in.

In AUD its priced between $660-$700 a GTX780 is between $700 and $900 (hydro copper) but when the GTX780Ti comes out this price will drop and get VERY close to initial R9 290X pricing and I can't ignore that. For me, I will wait for the GTX780Ti and pick up a couple of competitively priced GTX780's...

Exactly my plan. While the 290x has the performance, I really would rather a cooler quieter GPU than what AMD can supply at the high end.

A price-cut 780 looks very tempting if Nvidia pulls through and cuts the prices.

Those prices... I wept.

Exactly my plan. While the 290x has the performance, I really would rather a cooler quieter GPU than what AMD can supply at the high end.

A price-cut 780 looks very tempting if Nvidia pulls through and cuts the prices.

Those prices... I wept.

Actually the 290x hasn't the performance in front of one 780 stock overclocked. And if  you see the Linus review you can see like both stock cards and both OCed the 780 wins.

Read you guys!

Actually the 290x hasn't the performance in front of one 780 stock overclocked. And if  you see the Linus review you can see like both stock cards and both OCed the 780 wins.

Read you guys!

Do you mean that the 290x doesn't beat the 780 when overclocked?

I completely agree but at this point in time the 290x has the price advantage. My point is if a 780 price drop removes that AMD price advantage, there will be little reason to buy the 290x over the 780 if you are okay with overclocking your card, and especially if you want something that doesn't run at bloody 95 degrees and still manages to be loud.

Do you mean that the 290x doesn't beat the 780 when overclocked?

I completely agree but at this point in time the 290x has the price advantage. My point is if a 780 price drop removes that AMD price advantage, there will be little reason to buy the 290x over the 780 if you are okay with overclocking your card, and especially if you want something that doesn't run at bloody 95 degrees and still manages to be loud.

Check it out yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZ3Z6Niir4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djvZaHHU4I8

If the price matters, the 290X watercooled or with another cooler solution is a good one.

If performance matters, the 780 SC is a good one.

if the 780 in your country costs the same as the 290x get the 780. The 290x is nice at 4k but lets be honest how many people own 4k monitors right now. besides once 4k becomes a thing there will be new gen nvidia and amd cards anyway

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

i dont know about you guys but looking at the bench marks, it seems like the r9 280x reaches a maximum frame rate but also keeps that frame rate no matter the resolution..

from the bench marks slick did, it shows around 40-70 in all the games at 1080p and damn near exactly the same in 1440p? whos keen to see what happens on 4k?

also, what were the temperatures running at if the r9 290x wasnt even "stretching its legs" on the 1080p/1440p?

I'm not to keen on seeing how it performs at 4K because I'm not to sure how realistic it is to the masses.

Other than just seeing the results and saying, "wow that's impressive!" or maybe "wow that sucks!"

How many of the average AMD fan base is running out to buy a $3,500 Monitor, if the 4k results are just extraordinary?

That sort of goes against the whole price to performance ratio.

For the price, it's awesome. Also Linus said you can control the target tempature, so if you aren't comfortable with 95°C you can lower it to 80°C but it won't OC itself that much.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

The card was designed to run at 95C, so unless they changed something, it'll run at 95C, I personally will wait to see what Nvidia does with the 780ti, and I'm willing to bet I'll end up getting that instead.

Yea I am waiting for 780TI myself.  Depending on how they set the prices will determine what card I will get on the Nvidia side.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

The reference cooler on the 290x is absolutely shit. What they need to do is scrap the reference design and let the vendors bring out their own custom coolers because i know for a fact that the 290x should overclock better.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

I'm not to keen on seeing how it performs at 4K because I'm not to sure how realistic it is to the masses.

Other than just seeing the results and saying, "wow that's impressive!" or maybe "wow that sucks!"

How many of the average AMD fan base is running out to buy a $3,500 Monitor, if the 4k results are just extraordinary?

That sort of goes against the whole price to performance ratio.

You save a couple of bucks on the GPU so you can get the 4K monitor, maybe not now but in 6 months sure, why not. If it performs the same as the more expensive nvidia stuff, you'd be daft not to.

The reference cooler on the 290x is absolutely shit. What they need to do is scrap the reference design and let the vendors bring out their own custom coolers because i know for a fact that the 290x should overclock better.

I have no doubt the vendors will do their stuff in the coming weeks. Just imagine the 290x toxic or matrix card...

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

i would recommend the 780 instead of the 480, i mean r9 290x

At least until i can see mantle numbers, and what expecific games are going to support it

I have no doubt the vendors will do their stuff in the coming weeks. Just imagine the 290x toxic or matrix card...

I hope so because in overclocked benchmarks the 780 beats out the 290X. Stock for stock the 290X is a better card but it has zero head room to overclock cause of that darn cooler.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

just read the aftermarket is coming in december or next year....true or a rumor? 

just read the aftermarket is coming in december or next year....true or a rumor? 

we can't know yet. Link us to where you've read it. Probbably a duck.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

we can't know yet. Link us to where you've read it. Probbably a duck.

never mind these were "custom build boards from AIB partners"

and it was from the 3dguru review of 290x

I see what you did there!

Me too. I think he got the idea from the TTL review video.... I agree with that.