CPU Troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by SnowyMus,
1 hour ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

It maxes out at 100°F and gives me numbers if it gets above, like 110°F or so. I switched to °F bc I'm American and ignorant, and it's taking me a while to get used to °C.

I'm American, too, and Celsius is easy to understand, because it's a 0-100 scale. You don't have to understand what the equivalent temperature is in Fahrenheit. You simply have to know what is too hot and what isn't.

But, is it normal for it to jump around? Even in-game? It jumps and is very sporadic compared to my GPU temps which rises slowly and cools quickly but at a certain rate

This is perfectly normal. CPUs (with the exception of Pentiums and Celerons) run at both a lower voltage and clock speed when they aren't doing anything and can quickly spike up to maximum speed when they have to do something like opening a file or running a background process. This can cause temperatures to suddenly increase quickly by several degrees, and is a lot more extreme with certain mobile chips, which have much higher turbo boost clock speeds than their base clock speed. GPUs also do this, but not as sporadically. They don't have to do anything nearly as complex.

My CPU is posting weird temps in MSI afterburner, and is behaving sporadically, what could be causing this? I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooling setup, w/Arctic Silver 5 and a 6700K CPU i7. And these temps are just from booting up.

PCPartPicker Loadout for my build.

CPU Temps.JPG

Edited by ThatSoundGuy
Added info about temps

1 minute ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

My CPU is posting weird temps in MSI afterburner, and is behaving sporadically, what could be causing this? I have a Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooling setup, w/Arctic Silver 5 and a 6700K CPU i7. And these temps are just from booting up.

PCPartPicker Loadout for my build.

CPU Temps.JPG

Thats Fahrenheit is a fine temp. There is also no way for me to know any other temp than 97.

That's 97 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 36 degrees Celcius. Pretty normal temperatures.

You can likely change the temperature reading to celcius in the program you're using.

EDIT: oh nvm, you mean the sporadic readings. That can be caused by your CPU overclocking itself periodically when you're first booting up since some programs are starting up.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, Unexas. said:

Thats Fahrenheit is a fine temp. There is also no way for me to know any other temp than 97.

It maxes out at 100°F and gives me numbers if it gets above, like 110°F or so. I switched to °F bc I'm American and ignorant, and it's taking me a while to get used to °C.

Just now, ThatSoundGuy said:

There is nothing wrong with those temps 

4 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

There is nothing wrong with those temps 

6 minutes ago, Minibois said:

That's 97 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 36 degrees Celcius. Pretty normal temperatures.

You can likely change the temperature reading to celcius in the program you're using.

EDIT: oh nvm, you mean the sporadic readings. That can be caused by your CPU overclocking itself periodically when you're first booting up since some programs are starting up.

But, is it normal for it to jump around? Even in-game? It jumps and is very sporadic compared to my GPU temps which rises slowly and cools quickly but at a certain rate

EDIT: It does this at higher temps, such as 150°F or so and it will spaz out

Edited by ThatSoundGuy

2 minutes ago, ThatSoundGuy said:

Yes, CPU usage can jump depending on what needs to be calculated. (eg. in one room of a game, there may be a lot of NPCs or particles. But in another there are not. You will see a difference in CPU usage in just 2 rooms that you might just spend 5 seconds in

I'm American, too, and Celsius is easy to understand, because it's a 0-100 scale. You don't have to understand what the equivalent temperature is in Fahrenheit. You simply have to know what is too hot and what isn't.

This is perfectly normal. CPUs (with the exception of Pentiums and Celerons) run at both a lower voltage and clock speed when they aren't doing anything and can quickly spike up to maximum speed when they have to do something like opening a file or running a background process. This can cause temperatures to suddenly increase quickly by several degrees, and is a lot more extreme with certain mobile chips, which have much higher turbo boost clock speeds than their base clock speed. GPUs also do this, but not as sporadically. They don't have to do anything nearly as complex.