Police Surveil Journalist in an Attempt to Intimidate

36 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

A lot of non tech savvy people will speak with the "I've got nothing to hide attitude" but I think the truth(at least for those that I know) is that the majority of people are too invested in other aspects of life to have the NSA as a priority and I think the government banks on that idea.

With things like Family, Friends, School, and Work how much off time do we really have?  Granted not everyone is the same but I'm sure that the majority spends a healthy amount of time working which leaves little time for riot/protest. I could be wrong but I'd say the average North American(or any working class human) just want's to relax/rest/sleep in the hours that they aren't working.  I'd also guess that many couldn't afford to miss work to be a part of such things.

After all said and done, our government smacks so much down on citizens like taxes and a rigged education system to keep people in debt for years, that we have too much on our plates to rebel against the government.(IMO)

Nah, definitely North Americans. They have a better work/live mentality on the other side of the pond. It seems like the only people that protest are unemployed hippies, and no one takes them seriously. 

In the US perhaps. Taxes are necessary, for sure, and we don't get taxed nearly as heavily as a lot of Euro countries. They still have time to riot to get what they want.

I think it's just the sheer will that gets us. We're lazy and content. Most can buy that new car, new phone, and pay for that expensive cable package so why complain? 

32 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah, and I hate that no one here, especially the older generation, can grasp said ass-backwardness. For example, while I point out our extremely broken system as the reason we have these two morons as our candidates, my dad's attitude is "the system works just fine, voters are just so dumb these days." Really frustrating. 

Haha oh boy. The numerous things that could be said to that. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the baby boomers are gone and a younger generation takes over. Though I'm sure the last generation said the same thing, seeing as I say some slanderous things about the one coming after mine. 9_9

10 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

I agree, generally were quite passive about things, but when it comes to the government granting the police power to essentially circumvent our current legal system we should get angry. 

They didn't even believe it was connected to terrorism. The reporter in question was writing a story on the police, so they obtained a warrant under the guise that it would help their internal affairs investigation. 

If we rioted we might have better lives. Like Italy's 8 weeks of yearly vacation/extra month of pay, or any of a number of European countries free post secondary.

I love Canada, but I can think of a few countries I'd rather have grown up in.

The police should never be able to use something like that when the person is reporting on them. How a judge couldn't see that is beyond me. Perhaps calling them really early in the morning gets better results. His response should have been "Police for a century before you managed to do without it. Work harder."

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Like Italy's 8 weeks of yearly vacation/extra month of pay, or any of a number of European countries free post secondary.

I love Canada, but I can think of a few countries I'd rather have grown up in.

Half my family is still in Italy. All of them want to move to Canada. But I have to agree that there are some really great European countries. 

All in all we have it pretty good in Canada.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

1 minute ago, Daveeede said:

Half my family is still in Italy. All of them want to move to Canada. But I have to agree that there are some really great European countries. 

All in all we have it pretty good in Canada.

I watched a couple of documentaries and a lot of people thought Canada was amazing...until they found out that it's not really as good as it seems.

The grass is always greener...

We do and we don't. Minimum wage in some places is ridiculous, for example BC. 

Vancouver should have a living wage.

Canada fucked up immigration by allowing people to purchase citizenship, and even though they ended the program for some reason they can still get in via Quebec.

it's decent, but far from perfect. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, dizmo said:

How a judge couldn't see that is beyond me. Perhaps calling them really early in the morning gets better results. His response should have been "Police for a century before you managed to do without it. Work harder."

They said later on in the article that they do "judge shopping" where they wait until the presiding judge is one who they know will side with them before they request a warrant. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Disgusting, the UN and all member states need to denounce Canada - and quickly, this is the deepest, blackest hole we are about to get into if this is not stopped immediately.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

2 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Disgusting, the UN and all member states need to denounce Canada - and quickly, this is the deepest, blackest hole we are about to get into if this is not stopped immediately.

Most UN countries would laugh at how respecting the police is towards journalist's rights in Canada.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

This is why North Americans need to riot for change. France does it and it seems to work well.

Seriously though, Canadians need to be more pissed when their rights are threatened. I'm surprised the Americans let their government get away with it, though I guess it didn't affect their gun toting rights so it's not as important ;)

Once again though we're left without the full story. I'd like to know why the police felt the need.

If it was possible terrorist ties/threats. I'm not as pissed, but still disturbed.

Gotta protect that maple syrup and poutine.

Eh, no offense but this how I view the french

- Le Frog  and his French Frog Assassins -

... French history: Peace > Conquered > Revolution > Wash, Rinse, Repeat ... I cant take anything the French do seriously, they only riot because nowadays they don't get conquered - oh wait yes they do, by their own government hence the riots. Riots are performed by idiots that cant accomplish their goals civilly or those willing to be walked over before taking action... :| 

Rioting is not an answer, that just promotes anarchy not solutions.

The US had riots back in the 70's but did it accomplish anything?  not really. That whole flower power thing didn't work out to well...idiots.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

... French history: Peace > Conquered > Revolution > Wash, Rinse, Repeat ... I cant take anything the French do seriously, they only riot because nowadays they don't get conquered - oh wait yes they do, by their own government hence the riots. Riots are performed by idiots that cant accomplish their goals civilly or those willing to be walked over before taking action... :| 

The US had riots back in the 70's but did it accomplish anything?  not really. That whole flower power thing didn't work out to well...idiots.

Haha, really? In the 21st century alone there have been three country/state altering civil unrest movements in France.

Go farther back and there are even more.

To say that civil unrest accomplishes nothing shows just how little you know about the world.

The Tunisian Revolution in 2010? Slovenian protests against education reform?

In the US, the DNC riots (which I'm assuming you're referring to) that cost the Republicans the election?

The 1965 riots are considered the turning point in American-African relations?

You even forget the LA riots, which caused a great deal of change and are likely recent enough for you to have heard about.

Do you know why most US riots don't do anything? You rarely have the will to stand against your government en masse. Not enough of you care enough to stand up to them. In small numbers, with no backing of course you'd fail.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, really? In the 21st century alone there have been three country/state altering civil unrest movements in France.

Go farther back and there are even more.

To say that civil unrest accomplishes nothing shows just how little you know about the world.

The Tunisian Revolution in 2010? Slovenian protests against education reform?

In the US, the DNC riots (which I'm assuming you're referring to) that cost the Republicans the election?

The 1965 riots are considered the turning point in American-African relations?

You even forget the LA riots, which caused a great deal of change and are likely recent enough for you to have heard about.

Do you know why most US riots don't do anything? You rarely have the will to stand against your government en masse. Not enough of you care enough to stand up to them. In small numbers, with no backing of course you'd fail.

There is a difference between civil unrest and rioting...

But I'll leave it at that as this will derail the thread.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

13 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

There is a difference between civil unrest and rioting...

But I'll leave it at that as this will derail the thread.

Except in those cases they're both.

I'll accept your defeat :):P

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

"I dont mean any disrespect but let me disrecpect and entire country real quick." - SansVarnic

Just now, Nicholatian said:

Why do you guys waste time caring about who wins or loses in a debate? Is this a sport to you or something?

We're done. No need to say anything and further derail the thread, is there?

Let's be real it's a tech forum. Something to do in one's free time. A little entertainment, if you will.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Oh look.

I remember something about "crazy", "tinfoil hat", "nothing to hide nothing to fear".

How's that working out for all you ostrich's out there?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Oh look.

I remember something about "crazy", "tinfoil hat", "nothing to hide nothing to fear".

How's that working out for all you ostrich's out there?

I was waiting to see you here xD

Always love your additions to such topics.

Can you PM me who you think will win the election? But actually. I'm curious. I plan to sit down with a bowl of popcorn on the 8th and watch the world spiral into some kind of twisted alternate reality.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I was waiting to see you here xD

Always love your additions to such topics.

Can you PM me who you think will win the election? But actually. I'm curious. I plan to sit down with a bowl of popcorn on the 8th and watch the world spiral into some kind of twisted alternate reality.

No matter who wins, humanity will lose. That's really the only outcome that matters.

Hopefully, we will see the backlash from this election, in the next bout of congressional elections. The best outcome there, would be to have half of congress lose their jobs in favor of people who are neither republican or democrat (not that there's any actual difference in what they actually do. They just lie and pander to different groups of people).

Worst case scenario, we end up in a civil war. Not really avoidable in my mind. If you were trying to fix up an old house (the country), and the house was somehow actively fighting you and preventing you from fix it (everything the media, congress, and corporations do), you'd burn it to the ground wouldn't you? Burn it to the ground, and build a new house, with the flaws of the old house in mind.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 hours ago, Spork829 said:

This stuff is frustrating, but does anyone actually know how to tackle it? That's the thing, I have no idea how to fix this. Journalists want freedom to report without being spied on, police want to spy on them for everyone's safety. What do you do? 

That sounds like some lazy politics if there ever were. "Instead of changing this law that's flawed, we're just gonna make another that says that you can override the flawed part of that other one in certain very vague situations. That'll fix it right up!"

It comes down to 2 very fundamental principles: Personal Security vs Personal Freedom.

I believe we should be supporting personal freedom first: Freedom of speech is a more fundamental right and freedom of the press is one of the most important extension to free speech.

It is bad enough that we've let predatory corporatism basically shut down any real freedom of press already with either direct right wing interference (See Fox News) direct interference from centrists (CNN) and direct intervention on left wing press (Al Jazeera) and so on.

-------

Current Rig

-------

19 hours ago, Spork829 said:

This stuff is frustrating, but does anyone actually know how to tackle it? That's the thing, I have no idea how to fix this. Journalists want freedom to report without being spied on, police want to spy on them for everyone's safety. What do you do? 

That sounds like some lazy politics if there ever were. "Instead of changing this law that's flawed, we're just gonna make another that says that you can override the flawed part of that other one in certain very vague situations. That'll fix it right up!"

You don't, you accept that either the police has way too much power or you accept that some people that journalists are investigating can do bad things. they can't coexist... well except for for white collar banditism that's protected by business laws etc...

Gaming Laptop :  MSI (worst brand ever in EU) GT70 0NC 48FR - I7 3610QM - 670M 3GB GDDR5 - 12GB 1600MHZ - raid0 2 x 64GB sandisk SSD - 750 Gb Hitachi 7200/min

Galaxy s3 GTI9300 international - Archidroid v2.5.3 (git) - 1600Mhz PegasuQ on ArchiKernel .

17 minutes ago, kuzko said:

You don't, you accept that either the police has way too much power or you accept that some people that journalists are investigating can do bad things. they can't coexist... well except for for white collar banditism that's protected by business laws etc...

so either freedom of press or a police state. i choose the first.

10 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

When one says “I don’t have time”, it simply means they don’t give a fuck enough to make time for it. If they really gave a fuck about their liberties, their securities, and the democratic process they’d cut the cable and take a look outside. Unfortunately no one is doing that. Nah, they’re home watching Bob’s Burgers or American Fucking Idol, because that’s more important to them.

It’s a massive failure of priorities.

An outright extreme generalization.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

21 hours ago, Spork829 said:

What they the Quebec government wants to do is to give journalists the same protection as a lawyer or a juge have to information collection.

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

22 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

No. People decide what they want to care about.

If you care more about entertainment or luxury than your civic duties, that’s your prerogative. But don’t come bitching to me when the world falls down around you because of it.

You lump the entire working class into a group of people that work then come home and do nothing more than watch TV.

Without taking care of your immediate well-being as well as any family you are responsible for, you wouldn't even be able to protest.

Go work 12 hour shifts 6 days a week, take care of children/family, and take care of all other financial responsibility and see how much time you have to go out and protest.

The people you see standing in the middle of the expressway all night or occupying wall street are mostly rich college kids and people living off the government, not the real working class.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

8 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

Unlike your wishy-washy fake examples, my mother actually does work twelve hour shifts, but she does it 5 days a week… what’s the difference between a 60 and 72 hour work week when we’re discussing our sympathies, right? My cousin Jessica is in on leave this week, visiting with us before she goes out to Washington for 3 years. She works for the US Army, on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Don’t fucking tell me these people don’t have time, because I know for a fact they do.

Regardless, not having time is still by and large a bullshit excuse that basically means you don’t care to make time. Case in point:
http://beastlifestyle.com/i-dont-have-time-is-bullshit/
https://www.freshgigs.ca/blog/i-dont-have-time-is-a-terrible-excuse/
http://getwellified.com/dont-have-time-excuse/

Read the writing on the wall. Stop kidding yourself about the reality of things here. It’s mentalities like that that hold back progress for all of us.

That's weird  because for the past two years I worked 12hr shifts 5 days a week and 6 days a week for 4 months after the other night shift guy quit.  So I actually have worked 72 hours a week, which the people in the plant I did IT for did every week, but I do realize the problem now.

The problem is you have no clue about any of this because you're a child, you obviously have no idea about the responsibilities involved with being an adult.  Thus no one should take your opinion on the matter seriously.

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

I’m sure they’ll listen to you, Mr. Big Shot. Heh.

You know what the problem is here, and you don’t want to admit it. You’re scared of reality, and I get it – reality is quite scary. Grow a pair and face it. You will be so much better off for it in the end. We’ll all be better off in the end.

You'll understand when you're a little bit older.

On 11/1/2016 at 8:33 PM, RagnarokDel said:

"I dont mean any disrespect but let me disrecpect and entire country real quick." - SansVarnic

French history: Peace > Conquered > Revolution > Wash, Rinse, Repeat 

An historically accurate perception of a peoples history cannot be offensive ... if it is, well I cant help you there.

I in no means have a low opinion of the french people, they do it themselves every other generation. Its sad really, what makes me mad is my generation here in the US are doing the exact same thing and they are being ignorant to it.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER