Help - New streamer, OBS freezing up

I'm new to live streaming and have decided to give OBS a try before forking over the cash for xsplit, and all the troubleshooting info I find is for older versions of OBS. However, I'm having trouble where it will freeze up every five minutes or so. Pretty much everything is at default, so, I'm running 1920x1080 local and down scaling to 1280x720 for the broadcast. The option for video adapter is grayed out so I'm going to assume it's defaulting to my GPU. My CPU doesn't seem to be getting bogged down, according to what OBS tells me, and when it works it works fine. FWIW speedtest tells me I'm at 61Mbs up and 58Mbs down. Local recording seems to work fine as well. I've only tried streaming Skyrim:SE and Prison Architect so far.

Questions: What bitrate is ideal for 720 before it's excess? Also, I like to monitor the stream on my laptop, pretty much only to check audio, could this be stealing bandwidth causing OBS to lose contact with the server? 

I hate to say it, but I really don't know where to begin troubleshooting this. Thanks for the help!

i5-6400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 960 (1070 coming soon)

Type Video Bitrate, Standard Frame Rate (24, 25, 30) Video Bitrate, High Frame Rate (48, 50, 60)
1080p 8 Mbps 12 Mbps
720p 5 Mbps 7.5 Mbps

Allocate more ram to OBS

Delete backround apps

Make OBS primary in Task Manager

5 minutes ago, KEEM said:
Type Video Bitrate, Standard Frame Rate (24, 25, 30) Video Bitrate, High Frame Rate (48, 50, 60)
1080p 8 Mbps 12 Mbps
720p 5 Mbps 7.5 Mbps

Allocate more ram to OBS

Delete backround apps

Is that how fast your internet is supposed to be while streaming?

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

1 hour ago, Carlos1010 said:

Is that how fast your internet is supposed to be while streaming?

Recommended bitrates for YouTube Upload. If OP is streaming to twitch, I think the max bitrates is 3.5mbps(please hope im wrong).

4 hours ago, KEEM said:
1080p 8 Mbps 12 Mbps
720p 5 Mbps 7.5 Mbps

Allocate more ram to OBS

Delete backround apps

Thanks. I made OBS high priority in task manager and streamed Vice City for a couple hours without a problem. I'll have to see how a more modern title stacks up.

i5-6400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 960 (1070 coming soon)