4K 28" or 1440p 34" ultrawide?

MadMn

I'm stumped guys, I need don't know what would be better for me. I would be playing a lot of games but also 3D design and Photoshop work. I currently have a 980 ti and i5 4690k @ 4.2ghz however the 4k would be gsync so that would compensate. I would like to know what you guys would go for and if anyone has either would you please tell me what the pros and cons are?

Thanks 

P.S these are the monitors I am looking at

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/34-lg-34um88-ultra-wide-monitor-ips-3440x1440-5ms-300cd-m-speakers-displayport-v12-2xhdmi-v20-thunde

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/28-acer-xb281hk-predator-xb1-4k-60hz-nvidia-g-sync-v2-gaming-monitor-tn-3840x2160-1ms-100m1-dp-hdmi-

id go with the ultra wide because the 980TI will struggle a little with 4K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Ultrawide all day. As long as it is curved. Pay extra for Hz and not for G-sync. let me refrase that.. Framerates has more value

I'd personally use the ultrawide.

I'm loving my PG348Q

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

id go with the ultra wide because the 980TI will struggle a little with 4K

That's one of my points but the gsync in the monitor would smooth out the frames which I could deal with

Just now, MatsNorway said:

Ultrawide all day. As long as it is curved. Pay extra for Hz and not for G-sync.

I dont think I would like curved as I would be using things that would require things to be straight for things such as 3D work and I have heard it isn't great for that

It depends on your preference. I love ultrawide, it's very immersive. I'd go with #1.

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I'd personally use the ultrawide.

I'm loving my PG348Q

I am really edging towards it, just don't know how I would fit my other monitors on though ahaha

1 minute ago, MadMn said:

That's one of my points but the gsync in the monitor would smooth out the frames which I could deal with

G-sync dosent smoth out anything if you cant run the game at 60Hz in the first place

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, MadMn said:

I dont think I would like curved as I would be using things that would require things to be straight for things such as 3D work and I have heard it isn't great for that

Well that is interesting for sure. Have not thought about that. I do CAD work myself. Im sure i could get used to it but im in a "simple" profession where i can just measure everything if i look at it strange.

1 minute ago, MadMn said:

I am really edging towards it, just don't know how I would fit my other monitors on though ahaha

I have a 27" 1440p monitor on my right. But yea. It's a beast.

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

G-sync dosent smoth out anything if you cant run the game at 60Hz in the first place

Actually it does... It works best relative to other tech when below 60hz (because it sets your monitor refresh exactly with the frame refresh and thus you don't have the abhorrent frame time issue that most other solutions have.) 

For the record, this is also the point of Free-sync.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 minute ago, MatsNorway said:

Well that is interesting for sure. Have not thought about that. I do CAD work myself. Im sure i could get used to it but im in a "simple" profession where i can just measure everything if i look at it strange.

I would love curved but I dont want to risk it with the price and all haha dont want to faff about

1 minute ago, MatsNorway said:

3 minutes ago, MadMn said:

I would not recommend a flat ultrawide, as the distortion is noticeable in the corners.

Honestly though, I'm sure you and everyone else (@OP) who actually does 3D work is very used to looking at the pixel lines/steps to make sure things are exactly flat anyways, so I personally don't think it would make a single lick of difference (I certainly haven't noticed any, but my work is less rigorous haha).

Nothing on the screen feels curved to me if it is straight, it just feels more natural in the corners and less warped.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

I would not recommend a flat ultrawide, as the distortion is noticeable in the corners.

Honestly though, I'm sure you and everyone else (@OP) who actually does 3D work is very used to looking at the pixel lines/steps to make sure things are exactly flat anyways, so I personally don't think it would make a single lick of difference (I certainly haven't noticed any, but my work is less rigorous haha).

Nothing on the screen feels curved to me if it is straight, it just feels more natural in the corners and less warped.

okay I will start looking at curved screens then, I just saw a few reviews saying they dont like that it isnt straight when working and I didnt want this to affect me

Just now, MadMn said:

okay I will start looking at curved screens then, I just saw a few reviews saying they dont like that it isnt straight when working and I didnt want this to affect me

I mean the curvature makes a difference (exactly what it is.) The PG348q for example has very gentle 3800R curvature. If you can make it in, I would highly recommend seeing one for yourself before you buy.

Image result for monitor curvature

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Just now, Curufinwe_wins said:

I mean the curvature makes a difference (exactly what it is.) The PG348q for example has very gentle 3800R curvature. If you can make it in, I would highly recommend seeing one for yourself before you buy.

Image result for monitor curvature

The only problem for me is that curved monitors at that resolution as well are expensive, more than I wish for haha

Just now, MadMn said:

The only problem for me is that curved monitors at that resolution as well are expensive, more than I wish for haha

Well yes hahaha. That is an issue.

Here at least, non-gsync 1440p ultrawide is about the same price as 1440p ips g-sync. No idea if that is the case there though.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Allthough a higher resolution is preffered and your workloads might have use for that, I would still go for the Ultrawide. Reason is that it's still a very nice resolution but also a bigger screen. 4k at 28 inch is sharp, but I find that for the best potential you would need a bigger size. Also the LG has a 10 bit screen what could be extra usefull if you work a lot with color accuracy.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Well yes hahaha. That is an issue.

Here at least, non-gsync 1440p ultrawide is about the same price as 1440p ips g-sync. No idea if that is the case there though.

well the  PG348q is almost £1000 so thats quite a bit haha, almost double the one im looking at

18 minutes ago, MadMn said:

3D design and Photoshop work

go for 4k. I ditched my second monitor when I upgraded from 1080p because with those extra pixels i didn't need it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

18 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

I have a 27" 1440p monitor on my right. But yea. It's a beast.

Actually it does... It works best relative to other tech when below 60hz (because it sets your monitor refresh exactly with the frame refresh and thus you don't have the abhorrent frame time issue that most other solutions have.) 

For the record, this is also the point of Free-sync.

my bad, thought of other techs lol

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, MadMn said:

well the  PG348q is almost £1000 so thats quite a bit haha, almost double the one im looking at

Yea I'm not saying 3440x1440 g-sync is worthwhile. That is so expensive.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS