Time to update my rig

Hi everyone,

Basically my PC is a fuckfest of old and new parts, shit ranging from a i7 960 on a ASUS rampage 3 black edition to a EVGA GTX 770. 

The main let down in my rig is that old ass 960, and i cant upgrade the cpu to a more modern one without having to upgrade the mobo which is also pricey. And i thought to my self, i'm already going to be spending on a cpu and mobo why not throw in a modern graphics card. And then from there i was like, fuck it, lets fuckin make a whole new rig (except my HDD and SSD)

So heres what i came up with

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/q6nVBP

As you can see the theme is white, fucking expensive ass build.

Is there anyway i can go cheaper without sacrificing much, but the theme must stay completely white.

Thanks for reading my shit, hope all you guys have a great day!

(sorry if there are typos lol) 

Why a blue RAM?

S340 could be cheaper

5 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Why a blue RAM?

S340 could be cheaper

I think the touch of blue would make is nice, especially because the water coolers cpu block has blue lit up text on it.

As for the s340 I thought that too but the h440 looks so nice and has more room which i prefer

1 minute ago, IsmetUcur said:

I think the touch of blue would make is nice, especially because the water coolers cpu block has blue lit up text on it.

As for the s340 I thought that too but the h440 looks so nice and has more room which i prefer

I think there is no other way of cheaping it more. Maybe a lower wattage psu or a corsair cxm or seasonic s12ii

you don't NEED a 6700k or liquid cooler. Those should be the first to go for making your build cheaper. Getting a 6600k and a solid entry level air cooler will save you a lot of money without a significant performance drop. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

6 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

you don't NEED a 6700k or liquid cooler. Those should be the first to go for making your build cheaper. Getting a 6600k and a solid entry level air cooler will save you a lot of money without a significant performance drop. 

Wouldn't the liquid cooler allow for more sexy OC action?

9 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I think there is no other way of cheaping it more. Maybe a lower wattage psu or a corsair cxm or seasonic s12ii

actually. very good point on the blue ram, too expensive, ill change that one up

8 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

Depending on the monitor you're using and the games you're playing, its quite likely you don't need a 6700k. You certainly don't need an AIO at any rate, you could get something cheaper like a Cryorig H7.

You also don't need a 650W PSU, and could save some money on that front.

Also, instead of blue RAM it looks like you could get some dominators in there for only a few bucks more and these ones happen to be MUCH faster. might be a good investment to consider: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/MPVBD3/corsair-memory-cmd16gx4m4c3200c16

that all being said, a 6700k makes you about as future proof as computer components can, so its not exactly a waste of money either if you decide to keep it. Good luck with the build =)

Yes, but there are many air coolers that will allow you to overclock just as well for much cheaper. Also, you chose one of the more expensive liquid coolers. BTW, if you are concerned about costs, get rid of the cable kit. That is a completely unnecessary aesthetical part. It will look fine with the stock cables, believe me.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

11 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Yes, but there are many air coolers that will allow you to overclock just as well for much cheaper. Also, you chose one of the more expensive liquid coolers. BTW, if you are concerned about costs, get rid of the cable kit. That is a completely unnecessary aesthetical part. It will look fine with the stock cables, believe me.

Any recommendations on coolers to go with the build

Nice build. I think others have already said what I'd say for cheaper components, but I'll give some words of wisdom. Don't downgrade your CPU; it's a small cost in terms of the overall build, and you do get some performance gains. Judging by the amount of time you keep your hardware, it's better to have something that will last longer. You have a significant gain in stock speed, plus the ability to OC. There have also been reports that BF1 has trouble on i5's. So in the future, you might have more issues.

Do the build you want. The small amounts here and there don't add up to much, and the cost over the life of the system really isn't that high. Except perhaps the RAM. There should be another blue option at a lower price point.

You could save a decent chunk going with air cooling, but it'll alter the aesthetics of the build quite significantly.

You got a window to show off the sexiness, I'd just leave it. Unless you really, really can't handle the 40 pound extra.

15 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I don't think there's a way to make it cheaper.**
Dear God. The Canadian education system isn't that bad. :P

13 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

They're about the same as a good air cooler. However good air coolers can cost just about the same. So. Apples to apples.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

I havent used this, but it matches your color and its from a good company. Ive seen people recommend this before, so its a very solid unit.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mjdqqs/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12dx

get a 6600k

Hyper 212 evo (CPU cooler)

get a cheaper motherboard, asus make some cheaper z170 boards with all the features you could need

Don't need a 650watt psu, but if you want it to last then its a good choice

Case also seems a bid pricey given what your spending on everything else, maybe get a s340 in white?

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Nice build. I think others have already said what I'd say for cheaper components, but I'll give some words of wisdom. Don't downgrade your CPU; it's a small cost in terms of the overall build, and you do get some performance gains. Judging by the amount of time you keep your hardware, it's better to have something that will last longer. You have a significant gain in stock speed, plus the ability to OC. There have also been reports that BF1 has trouble on i5's. So in the future, you might have more issues.

Do the build you want. The small amounts here and there don't add up to much, and the cost over the life of the system really isn't that high. Except perhaps the RAM. There should be another blue option at a lower price point.

You could save a decent chunk going with air cooling, but it'll alter the aesthetics of the build quite significantly.

You got a window to show off the sexiness, I'd just leave it. Unless you really, really can't handle the 40 pound extra.

I don't think there's a way to make it cheaper.**
Dear God. The Canadian education system isn't that bad. :P

They're about the same as a good air cooler. However good air coolers can cost just about the same. So. Apples to apples.

you're definitely right about me keeping my hardware for a long time, i think im going to go for the safer option and buy for long term

4 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

you're definitely right about me keeping my hardware for a long time, i think im going to go for the safer option and buy for long term

Aye, that's what I'd do. Plus if you really think about it, saving a bit here and there and then looking at the system as a "compromise" is never fun. Especially when you realize that cutting out a few trips to the coffee shop amounts to the money saved.

3 minutes ago, IsmetUcur said:

small changes to the build, around a £40 different, ill most likely buy my 6700k off ebay, which can probably be another £50 cheaper, reaching around a £90 decrease in price from the original 

None locally in classifieds? That's generally where I find mine, I usually pick up new i7's for around $280 CDN (about $180 off retail). Gotta love that Retail Edge program Intel has. ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Aye, that's what I'd do. Plus if you really think about it, saving a bit here and there and then looking at the system as a "compromise" is never fun. Especially when you realize that cutting out a few trips to the coffee shop amounts to the money saved.

None locally in classifieds? That's generally where I find mine, I usually pick up new i7's for around $280 CDN (about $180 off retail). Gotta love that Retail Edge program Intel has. ;)

Looking at ghetto websites to find the cheapest hahah, anything works i guess

Quick update:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JL9c4C

Changed the GPU to a EVGA 1070 FTW  (despite the issues with temps)

Added on the peripherals that i already have and storage etc.

So far i've bought the GPU and CPU

Aiming to start building this weekend

As you can see i've bothered less about prices that i used to, just went for it