was my laptop overpriced?

I got this laptop 3 years ago as a gift loved it, it was a msi ge70 2pe(16 gb ram, gtx 860m) i loved it at the time since all the games i got on it were from last gen (xbox 360, ps4) and it ran them on max at a nice frame rate never really knew about all this stuff so i cant get a definite frame rate. I also had a ps4 which ran games at the same level as my pc so it was always an issue where to get a new game but i mostly got it for my laptop since, i got a laptop for a gift was its portability since i moved from home to home and only had 1 hd tv in one house(in my room). So the question is this laptop was 1000-2000+dollars plus but recently learned that i see many laptops with much more vram for 1000 + or even less so question is is my laptop overpriced and how can i sell it to make a much more powerful desktop since i moved and now stay in one house and leave my laptop in one place staitnonry and i removed my battery. 

PS: Still love this laptop just it struggles with new games now such as bf1 and now im leaning more to the ps side thou i play some games on the lowest graphics with low res i really dont care about res and get high frame rate like in the witcher 3 i get 70 + with setting down and get 30 with high setting 1080 just like ps

2 minutes ago, gabrielvis8 said:

I got this laptop 3 years ago as a gift loved it, it was a msi ge70 2pe(16 gb ram, gtx 860m) i loved it at the time since all the games i got on it were from last gen (xbox 360, ps4) and it ran them on max at a nice frame rate never really knew about all this stuff so i cant get a definite frame rate. I also had a ps4 which ran games at the same level as my pc so it was always an issue where to get a new game but i mostly got it for my laptop since, i got a laptop for a gift was its portability since i moved from home to home and only had 1 hd tv in one house(in my room). So the question is this laptop was 1000-2000+dollars plus but recently learned that i see many laptops with much more vram for 1000 + or even less so question is is my laptop overpriced and how can i sell it to make a much more powerful desktop since i moved and now stay in one house and leave my laptop in one place staitnonry and i removed my battery. 

Technically all laptops are over-priced but that's because of the small form factor when compared to Desktops. What you paid for back then only seems like too much now because of the new generation of GPUs. If one buys a laptop with a GTX 960m a couple years ago for $1,100.00 but is now worth $850.00. That same thing will likely occur again with laptops housing the new GTX 1060 GPUs. If you already have a keyboard, mouse & monitor then yes you could probably sell it & build a better Desktop PC. At very least you'd end up with something equivalent to your laptop BUT, you'd also have a very open upgrade path for all components. That's mainly where laptops are limited, besides storage & RAM there's not much else you can improve.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

20 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Technically all laptops are over-priced but that's because of the small form factor when compared to Desktops. What you paid for back then only seems like too much now because of the new generation of GPUs. If one buys a laptop with a GTX 960m a couple years ago for $1,100.00 but is now worth $850.00. That same thing will likely occur again with laptops housing the new GTX 1060 GPUs. If you already have a keyboard, mouse & monitor then yes you could probably sell it & build a better Desktop PC. At very least you'd end up with something equivalent to your laptop BUT, you'd also have a very open upgrade path for all components. That's mainly where laptops are limited, besides storage & RAM there's not much else you can improve.

yes i have a keyboard, mouse and external keyboard and cheap old display(4:3 75 hertz which i love) as i said before i use this laptop as a desktop. Btw could you tell me where i could sell my laptop 

36 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If it was at the $1000 spectrum, then no, it wasn't very overpriced at the time. If it was closer to the $2000 spectrum, then yes.

wow really thanks thou

49 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

Technically all laptops are over-priced...

Uh... no they aren't. So would you say that most super high-end phones are horribly priced because a desktop is so much more powerful in every way? No you wouldn't... if you had any sort of rationality and thought things through before speaking.

A laptop with a GTX 1060 right now will run you around $1300 for a basic machine from a Clevo reseller, like Sager. Some places don't give you the OS for free, but Clevo laptops are the only machines that can handle the heat from their components and not be the size of a small child. :P 

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

54 minutes ago, Mike Soda said:

how quickly technology develops i guess the moorse law is true then

3 minutes ago, Imglidinhere said:

Uh... no they aren't. So would you say that most super high-end phones are horribly priced because a desktop is so much more powerful in every way? No you wouldn't... if you had any sort of rationality and thought things through before speaking.

A laptop with a GTX 1060 right now will run you around $1300 for a basic machine from a Clevo reseller, like Sager. Some places don't give you the OS for free, but Clevo laptops are the only machines that can handle the heat from their components and not be the size of a small child. :P 

yeah they really impoved from 3 years back when all laptops had 2 gb vram now they rock impressingly 8 gbvram

1 hour ago, Imglidinhere said:

Smaller form factors generally result in higher prices, although this excludes Micro ATX Cases VS Full Towers. I'm fairly certain that you could build a Desktop PC with a 1060 that has better OC potential for a couple 100 less than a Laptop of the same but more limited specs. Also consider what I told the OP as well, upgrade potential & customization. Many laptop manufacturers give strict limits as to what sort of storage configurations are available.

Ryzen 5 1500X @ 3.9GHz On 1.3625V | MSI B350M Gaming Pro | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz | 3GB MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 2063MHz Core 9408MHz Mem | EVGA G2 550W | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO | Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1903 (Build 18362.295) | MasterCase Pro 3

2 hours ago, gabrielvis8 said:

yes i have a keyboard, mouse and external keyboard and cheap old display(4:3 75 hertz which i love) as i said before i use this laptop as a desktop. Btw could you tell me where i could sell my laptop 

I'm pretty sure you can sell used PC's & parts here on LTT Forums, just find the right category.

2 hours ago, Mike Soda said:

Smaller form factors generally result in higher prices, although this excludes Micro ATX Cases VS Full Towers. I'm fairly certain that you could build a Desktop PC with a 1060 that has better OC potential for a couple 100 less than a Laptop of the same but more limited specs. Also consider what I told the OP as well, upgrade potential & customization. Many laptop manufacturers give strict limits as to what sort of storage configurations are available.

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650rp6-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

And that desktop will require a separate monitor too, and rooting yourself to the spot... Don't even talk about making a SFF machine and trying to be mobile. I've done that. Nothing compares to a laptop for portability.

S.K.Y.N.E.T. v4.3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200 | 12GB RX 6700XT |   Twin 24" Pixio PX248 Prime 1080p 144Hz Displays | 256GB Sabrent NVMe (OS) | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #1 | 500GB Samsung 840 Pro #2 | 2TB Samsung 860 Evo1TB Western Digital NVMe | 2TB Sabrent NVMe | Intel Wireless-AC 9260

On 10/31/2016 at 0:35 AM, Imglidinhere said:

http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650rp6-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1060-w-g-sync.html

And that desktop will require a separate monitor too, and rooting yourself to the spot... Don't even talk about making a SFF machine and trying to be mobile. I've done that. Nothing compares to a laptop for portability.

For portability yeah of course laptops reign, best bang per buck when it isn't a factor though a desktop can win providing monitor & peripherals are already acquired.

On 10/30/2016 at 11:34 PM, Imglidinhere said:

Uh... no they aren't.

No, they pretty much are. 1080 desktop (which is overpriced) is $600-$700. Laptop is $1200+ while being downclocked.

1070 desktop is $380-$450 (which is overpriced again). Laptop isn't even a desktop 1070; it's the laptop 980 (that was $1200+) using Pascal's arch (so they didn't have to redesign much) costing $800+.

1060 desktop is $250 (which is closer to being decently priced than the others). Laptop is $500+, and again uses the basic 970M design on Pascal's arch (though admittedly the desktop card does the same give or take).

i7-6700HQ is $378 USD MSRP from Intel. i7-6700K is 900MHz faster on 4-core load, has 2MB extra L3 cache, is unlocked, has an IHS (added physical material) and is only $325 or so. i7-6920HQ is $568 (you read that right yes) and is 3.4GHz 4-core load only, is soldered to the fucking board only, and cannot be clocked beyond 4GHz under 4-core load (I.E. its max performance is a stock 6700K that's nearly half its price).

Laptops are ALL overpriced compared to desktop parts. It always was and might always be until people start making a huge stink about it.

In this case however, what we're looking for is relative overpricedness. For example all of Razer's garbage craptops are overpriced to no end. All of Apple's garbage craptops are overpriced to no end. The Lenovo X1 Carbon is overpriced for its specs (even though its warranty is good, paying for similar warranty on a non-business-class laptop could be an option). MSI's GT72 and GT80 are overpriced. Their GT83 is also overpriced. ASUS' watercooled laptop model is overpriced. These are comparing the available specs versus other existing laptops. There were people who sold the 4K AUO 17" screen as a $900 USD upgrade when the screen itself was about $100 USD. That's overpriced. etc etc. If OP's laptop was more than $1100 when he bought it, it was basically overpriced, relative to other laptops like the N155RF etc.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday