Best affordable cooler for i7 6700k?

MValuableP
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
22 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I'm not going to OC because this is my absolute first time I'm building a computer let alone owning one (I have laptops of course).

Computersalg.dk

And my budget is $1500

Oc'ing is definitely something you should be looking into with the 6700k. The Kotetsu is a great cooler that would allow for a pretty hefty oc in the future: https://www.computersalg.dk/i/2064061/scythe-kotetsu-scktt-1000-processor

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You missed the first question. 

Can you link us to where you're shopping? What's your budget?

I'm not going to OC because this is my absolute first time I'm building a computer let alone owning one (I have laptops of course).

Computersalg.dk

And my budget is $1500

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

22 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Computersalg.dk

And my budget is $1500

Oc'ing is definitely something you should be looking into with the 6700k. The Kotetsu is a great cooler that would allow for a pretty hefty oc in the future: https://www.computersalg.dk/i/2064061/scythe-kotetsu-scktt-1000-processor

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yeah I might look into OC'ing at some point, but I want to see how it functions without it first. I know I'm "wasting" the 6700k by not doing it, but buying it is also for "futureproof". And I like how you found it on the danish page, thanks!

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, MValuableP said:

What's the best one? Do I just take a cheap one like the Cooler Master TX3 Evo?

If you want my 2 cents get a Noctua NH-D15, considering the high $ fans it comes with its great value and max performance.  I feel like you might regret it later if you cheap out, and if your cpu came with box cooler maybe just use it while you save some coin.  Because lets say you got the Hyper 212 evo, in the future theres a good chance youll drop ~$40 on high end fans for it, or simply want to upgrade your cooler altogether.  If you had a cheaper processor then I may say differently, but seeing as you dropped money on 6700k build...

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

6 hours ago, SubLimation7 said:

If you want my 2 cents get a Noctua NH-D15, considering the high $ fans it comes with its great value and max performance.  I feel like you might regret it later if you cheap out, and if your cpu came with box cooler maybe just use it while you save some coin.  Because lets say you got the Hyper 212 evo, in the future theres a good chance youll drop ~$40 on high end fans for it, or simply want to upgrade your cooler altogether.  If you had a cheaper processor then I may say differently, but seeing as you dropped money on 6700k build...

Is the Scythe Kotetsu a good option?

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, MValuableP said:

You could look up some reviews. In terms of performance, it's similar to the NH-U12S and is very quiet.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1391-page6.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Think I already mentioned it, but if you want a Scythe the Fuma is their best.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

13 hours ago, MValuableP said:

I'm personally not sure but it looks some some other people have helped you with that. I do know that the Noctua D15 is the king, even outperforms coolers such as h115i (~$140 AIO water cooler w/ 280mm radiator).  The mounting kit it comes with is soo much better and easier to use then anyone else's.  I just really can't recommend the cooler enough as long as you have room for it, which it looks like you do. (Compatability Info http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp)

The fans that I personally use for cooling would run you ~$28 each, and the D15 comes with similar quality fans out of the box.

I'm personally in the process of switching my H115i to d15 on my 6800k build myself.  And I have one on my girlfriends build (3570k delidded) and I have a hard time pushing the cpu past 40c with a mild OC.  Even if you don't decide to OC today, theres a good chance you will in the future to get more life out of your PC, and if nothing else youll have that much longer of a lifespan for your cpu.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

13 hours ago, SubLimation7 said:

I'm personally not sure but it looks some some other people have helped you with that. I do know that the Noctua D15 is the king, even outperforms coolers such as h115i (~$140 AIO water cooler w/ 280mm radiator).  The mounting kit it comes with is soo much better and easier to use then anyone else's.  I just really can't recommend the cooler enough as long as you have room for it, which it looks like you do. (Compatability Info http://noctua.at/en/nh-d15/comp)

The fans that I personally use for cooling would run you ~$28 each, and the D15 comes with similar quality fans out of the box.

I'm personally in the process of switching my H115i to d15 on my 6800k build myself.  And I have one on my girlfriends build (3570k delidded) and I have a hard time pushing the cpu past 40c with a mild OC.  Even if you don't decide to OC today, theres a good chance you will in the future to get more life out of your PC, and if nothing else youll have that much longer of a lifespan for your cpu.

I YouTube'd the cooler, and isn't it a full kit for the whole PC and not just a CPU cooler? I'm only really looking for a CPU cooler.

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, MValuableP said:

I YouTube'd the cooler, and isn't it a full kit for the whole PC and not just a CPU cooler? I'm only really looking for a CPU cooler.

It's just a CPU cooler, like other air coolers your gonna get some massive airflow over nearby components as well.

UPDATE: check this out http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nf-a14-industrialppc/7

But note that he's comparing stock DH-15 setup to DH-15 with IPPC fans.  So make sure you keep your eye on the plain jane DH15, especially when looking at noise graphs.

And I imagine your a fan of Linus, so if you haven't already check out their review: 

The NH-D15 is an excellent cooler and I'm running one myself but it is much overkill if you're not planning to oc with it. A Kotetsu is already more than enough to get at least 4.4ghz.

Gonna have to say the Cryorig H7. To put things into perspective, I have a breadbox for a case (Fractal Core 500), live in the desert, have no AC in this room and a less than optimal top 140mm fan set as an intake...AND IT STILL IDLES A 4.2GHZ 6700K AROUND 28C AVERAGE..!