Best affordable cooler for i7 6700k?

MValuableP
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
22 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I'm not going to OC because this is my absolute first time I'm building a computer let alone owning one (I have laptops of course).

Computersalg.dk

And my budget is $1500

Oc'ing is definitely something you should be looking into with the 6700k. The Kotetsu is a great cooler that would allow for a pretty hefty oc in the future: https://www.computersalg.dk/i/2064061/scythe-kotetsu-scktt-1000-processor

What's the best one? Do I just take a cheap one like the Cooler Master TX3 Evo?

The dream:

Spoiler

Project Malachite (in progress):

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Cryorig H7 is amazing

3 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

I think that the best one would probably be the hyper 212 evo from cooler master. The cryorig H7 looks good and I think performs as well as the 212. I've only heard of the specs online. Nothing first hand.

Edited by Hulkbert

Best one for the money is in my opinion the Scythe Fuma. Is trading blows with the high end Noctua's what are considered top tier coolers aswell, but for a much nicer price.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

212 evo is good as long as you don't oc to much. The tx3 will mire than likely get overwhelmed even at stock..

2 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

I think that the best one would probably be the hyper 212 evo from cooler master. The cryorig H7 looks good and I think performs as well as the 212. I've only heard of the specs online. Nothing first hand.

YEa I just got the H7 and it's awesome. And it's in stock on newegg which never happens :b

Nah fuck the 212 get the Cryorig M9i it performs slightly better than the 212 but it's a lot smaller

No. The TX3 is not even close to suitable for OC'ing a 6700K.

What are you looking to do with the CPU? Mild overclock, or push it up past 1.26/1.265v and see how far you can go? Here are some rough suggestions:

Mild OC: Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Cryorig H7

Moderate OC: Cryorig H5 Ultimate/Universal, Noctua NH-U14S, Phanteks TC14PE, 120mm/140mm liquid cooling (only if your case can't support a decent air cooler)

Heavy OC: Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3, 240mm/280mm liquid cooling

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Be Quiet Pure Rock is a great option for a budget air cooler, however if you have the extra money, consider the H80i or the H100i depending on case support.

MAIN RIG:

GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti 

CPU: i7 9700K

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHZ

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x RGB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

SSD 2: SanDisk Ultra 2 240GB

Case: Coolermaster Masterbox 530P

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Monitor: Asus ROG PG278Q

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016

Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity

Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma

Speakers: Bose Companion 20

Just now, aisle9 said:

No. The TX3 is not even close to suitable for OC'ing a 6700K.

What are you looking to do with the CPU? Mild overclock, or push it up past 1.26/1.265v and see how far you can go? Here are some rough suggestions:

Mild OC: Deepcool Gammaxx 400, Cryorig H7

Moderate OC: Cryorig H5 Ultimate/Universal, Noctua NH-U14S, Phanteks TC14PE, 120mm/140mm liquid cooling (only if your case can't support a decent air cooler)

Heavy OC: Noctua NH-D15, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3, 240mm/280mm liquid cooling

My case is the NZXT S340, and I'm not really looking to overclock it at first seeing it's my first ever build. Any recommendations? The Cryorig H7 lookes good to me?

The dream:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 7700k. CPU Cooler: Cryorig A40 Ultimate. Mobo: ASUS Z270-A. RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz DDR4. SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB. HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB. GPU: ASUS Strix 1070. PSU: Corsair CX550M. Case: Phanteks Eclipse p400S

The reality:

Spoiler

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016, Logitech G502, Turtle Beach 500p. Monitor: LG 24GM77-B 144Hz 1MS TN. 

Just now, Cryosis said:

Be Quiet Pure Rock is a great option for a budget air cooler, however if you have the extra money, consider the H80i or the H100i depending on case support.

The Pure Rock is $55, and it's outperformed by $25-35 coolers...

My case is the NZXT S340, and I'm not really looking to overclock it at first seeing it's my first ever build. Any recommendations? The Cryorig H7 lookes good to me?

If you can afford it, go with a NH-D15 or another air cooler of equal (or better) performance.

Edited by Hulkbert

2 minutes ago, MValuableP said:

Cryorig M9i 

That's just my personal choice as i find it great and works with any light overclocks i throw at it

MAIN RIG:

GPU: Asus ROG Strix 2080Ti 

CPU: i7 9700K

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F

Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200MHZ

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100x RGB

SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

SSD 2: SanDisk Ultra 2 240GB

Case: Coolermaster Masterbox 530P

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Monitor: Asus ROG PG278Q

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth 2016

Mouse: Razer Naga Trinity

Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma

Speakers: Bose Companion 20

1 minute ago, MValuableP said:

The H7 is a very nice little cooler. I own one. Don't have it installed in anything currently, but I've used it on everything from a G3258 to an i7-4790K with a mild OC, and it's never let me down. The stock fan is very quiet up until well over 1,000 RPM.

That said, if you think you're going to want to shoot the moon later on with that OC, you might consider just buying a bigger cooler like an H5 Ultimate (which stands 160mm with the fan lowered, but you lose a RAM slot) or Universal (smaller fans, a bit warmer, but no RAM interference).

7 minutes ago, stationvsbox said:

Nah fuck the 212 get the Cryorig M9i it performs slightly better than the 212 but it's a lot smaller

And cheaper. And MUCH better-looking.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Just now, Thorimus said:

And cheaper. And MUCH better-looking.

yeah $30 212 vs $20 M9i

Just now, aisle9 said:

The H7 is a very nice little cooler. I own one. Don't have it installed in anything currently, but I've used it on everything from a G3258 to an i7-4790K with a mild OC, and it's never let me down. The stock fan is very quiet up until well over 1,000 RPM.

That said, if you think you're going to want to shoot the moon later on with that OC, you might consider just buying a bigger cooler like an H5 Ultimate (which stands 160mm with the fan lowered, but you lose a RAM slot) or Universal (smaller fans, a bit warmer, but no RAM interference).

I don't think I'll need to go super ham on the overclock with my i7 6700k. Is it worth to get a smaller one like the Cryorig m9i when the H7 itself doesn't have any ram interference?

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

Just now, MValuableP said:

I don't think I'll need to go super ham on the overclock with my i7 6700k. Is it worth to get a smaller one like the Cryorig m9i when the H7 itself doesn't have any ram interference?

I've never tried to overclock anything on an M9i. Never even owned an M9i, so I can't really comment.

Just now, aisle9 said:

I've never tried to overclock anything on an M9i. Never even owned an M9i, so I can't really comment.

I'll just go with the H7 as it seems to be good.

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

If your doing overclocking you need to get a watercooled cooler that probably wont be in your budget, other then that you can get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 or be quiet! Dark Rock 3

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

2 hours ago, MValuableP said:

Why not oc with the 6700k?

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Why not oc with the 6700k?

Where are you shopping/located?

Denmark.

The dream:

Spoiler

The reality:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, MValuableP said:

Denmark.

You missed the first question. 

Can you link us to where you're shopping? What's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.