What are the best settings for running PC games smoothly over your TV?

Svubber

What I want to know:
How can I make the games run as smoothly as possible on my TV-monitor via my PC?
Which settings are the best, to make the games as smooth and consistent as possible?
Which is better for smooth game play; duplicated screens, extended screens, show screen 1 or 2 only?

My hardware setup:
PC: Asus G20CB with GTX 1080 GPU, i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40Hhz, 16 GB Ram...
PC-monitor: Asus 27" LED G-Sync ROG SWIFT PG278Q (max 144Hz)
TV-monitor: Samsung 55" SUHD 4K Flat Smart TV KS8005 (max 60Hz)

4 minutes ago, Svubber said:

TV-monitor: Samsung 55" SUHD 4K Flat Smart TV KS8005 (max 60Hz)

Does it have display port or HDMI 2.0?

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

TV's have no displayport. Havn't seen it ever. So he would need a high speed HDMI cable on HDMI 2.0 ports atleast.

Your results will depend most on how fast your TV is, but for settings same applies as you would do with monitor.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

14 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Does it have display port or HDMI 2.0?

HDMI 2.0

10 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Your results will depend most on how fast your TV is, but for settings same applies as you would do with monitor.

This model should be fast for it's size.
My problem thus far is, that in for example FIFA 17, it won't run smoothly unless it's in window-mode, but in window-mode there will frequently appear blackouts, we're talking milliseconds, but slow enough for the eye to catch. I also tried indie games, Duckgame was flawless, couldn't even tell it was running 60Hz versus my normal 144Hz. But another game called Ultimate Chicken Horse had a bit of lag from time to time, not sure what caused it, as it ain't a very demanding game.

Could try messing with video settings like Vsync and disable buffering. Still it's odd that you have a better experience in windowed mode vs fullscreen...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

Iv never done this but apparently Tv's are clocked to 24fps @4k even though the cable can do 60fps. If thats true i would set resolution to 1080p

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 hours ago, Gonio said:

Could try messing with video settings like Vsync and disable buffering. Still it's odd that you have a better experience in windowed mode vs fullscreen...

Vsync is turned off, it lags with it on - probably because G-sync is on, not sure. The window vs fullscreen varies from game to game, could be something to do with the desktop resolution versus the game resolution, haven't really tracked that down yet.
Varies from game to game, I found a solution to make FIFA17 run smoothly. I cannot' get that to work in Rocket League, although it may just be because it is fast pace, and that's where the difference between 60Hz and 144Hz is really noticeable.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Iv never done this but apparently Tv's are clocked to 24fps @4k even though the cable can do 60fps. If thats true i would set resolution to 1080p

Interesting. The lower resolutions I tried had a limit on 30Hz, where the 3 and 4k had 60Hz.
I will check out later to see if 1k is the sweet spot (if 60Hz is available).

TV's can run 60Hz fine, not sure where that comes from. Do it myself. For 4k if the ports are both HMDI 2.0 and the cable used is high speed, 60 fps is no problem.

Missed btw that you run a TV and monitor at same time. Could be that your odd issues come from there. If you just run your setup on TV only (no monitor connected) with properly adjusted  resolution on 4k is then playing better fullscreen?

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Gonio said:

TV's can run 60Hz fine, not sure where that comes from. Do it myself. For 4k if the ports are both HMDI 2.0 and the cable used is high speed, 60 fps is no problem.

Missed btw that you run a TV and monitor at same time. Could be that your odd issues come from there. If you just run your setup on TV only (no monitor connected) with properly adjusted  resolution on 4k is then playing better fullscreen?

Not at all resolutions. At least not my 4k, if you go lower than 3k it goes down to 30Hz, although I haven't checked all resolutions below 3k, so there may be a few that actually works with 60Hz below 3k.

My main screen for my PC, I have no issues with, it's the TV that lacks behind. Although I am starting to get a hang of the optimal settings now.

Thats why I asked to run it alone for a while. And you should use native resolution anyway for optimal performance. Why are you even downscaling a 4k resolution?

Why I mention it is that your screens have different resolutions and speeds. That can be a cause to your issues. Also a single 1080 is overall fine for 144Hz 1440p and a second screen overall doens't add much strain. Still it has to put out 4k at TV. If gamign on 1 and playing movie on other, there could be a reasonable strain on GPU and CPU.

4k is just doable single card, don't expect it to be as easy to run as 2-3 HD monitors :)

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, Gonio said:

Thats why I asked to run it alone for a while. And you should use native resolution anyway for optimal performance. Why are you even downscaling a 4k resolution?

Why I mention it is that your screens have different resolutions and speeds. That can be a cause to your issues. Also a single 1080 is overall fine for 144Hz 1440p and a second screen overall doens't add much strain. Still it has to put out 4k at TV. If gamign on 1 and playing movie on other, there could be a reasonable strain on GPU and CPU.

4k is just doable single card, don't expect it to be as easy to run as 2-3 HD monitors :)

Yeah, I slowly learned this by trial and error. It makes even more sense, now that you write it. 
I haven't got the chance to try out 1k yet, but even if it does not support 60Hz, I can live with the settings I fixed today.